- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Mediators of Inflammation
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 382801, 10 pages
Inhibitory Effects of Pretreatment with Radon on Acute Alcohol-Induced Hepatopathy in Mice
1Graduate School of Health Sciences, Okayama University, 5-1 Shikata-cho, 2-chome, Okayama 700-8558, Japan
2Department of Radiation Research Shikata Laboratory, Advanced Science Research Center, Okayama University, 5-1 Shikata-cho, 2-chome, Okayama 700-8558, Japan
Received 3 July 2012; Accepted 13 October 2012
Academic Editor: Antonio Macciò
Copyright © 2012 Teruaki Toyota et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Yamaoka, F. Mitsunobu, K. Hanamoto, S. Mori, Y. Tanizaki, and K. Sugita, “Study on biologic effects of radon and thermal therapy on osteoarthritis,” Journal of Pain, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 20–25, 2004.
- K. Yamaoka, F. Mitsunobu, K. Hanamoto et al., “Biochemical comparison between radon effects and thermal effects on humans in radon hot spring therapy,” Journal of Radiation Research, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 83–88, 2004.
- Y. Aoyama, T. Kataoka, S. Nakagawa et al., “Study on effects of thoron and thermal treatment for aging-related diseases on humans,” Iranian Journal of Radiation Research, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 221–229, 2012.
- T. Kataoka, Y. Aoyama, A. Sakoda, S. Nakagawa, and K. Yamaoka, “Basic study on biochemical mechanism of thoron and thermal therapy,” Physiological Chemistry and Physics and Medical NMR, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 85–92, 2006.
- K. Becker, “One century of radon therapy,” International Journal of Low Radiation, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 334–357, 2004.
- F. Mitsunobu, K. Yamaoka, K. Hanamoto et al., “Elevation of antioxidant enzymes in the clinical effects of radon and thermal therapy for bronchial asthma,” Journal of Radiation Research, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 95–99, 2003.
- T. Kataoka, A. Sakoda, Y. Ishimori et al., “Study of the response of superoxide dismutase in mouse organs to radon using a new large-scale facility for exposing small animals to radon,” Journal of Radiation Research, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 775–781, 2011.
- T. Kataoka, J. Teraoka, A. Sakoda et al., “Protective effects of radon inhalation on carrageenan-induced inflammatory paw edema in mice,” Inflammation, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 713–722, 2012.
- B. W. Wheeler, J. Allen, M. H. Depledge, and A. Curnow, “Radon and skin cancer in southwest England: an ecologic study,” Epidemiology, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 44–52, 2012.
- A. R. Denman, J. P. Eatough, G. Gillmore, and P. S. Phillips, “Assessment of health risks to skin and lung of elevated radon levels in abandoned mines,” Health Physics, vol. 85, no. 6, pp. 733–739, 2003.
- D. Krewski, J. H. Lubin, J. M. Zielinski et al., “Residential radon and risk of lung cancer: a combined analysis of 7 North American case-control studies,” Epidemiology, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 137–145, 2005.
- United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation (UNSCEAR), “Sources and effects of ionizing radiation,” Report, UNSCEAR, 1993.
- A. Sakoda, Y. Ishimori, A. Kawabe, T. Kataoka, K. Hanamoto, and K. Yamaoka, “Physiologically based pharmacokinetic modeling of inhaled radon to calculate absorbed doses in mice, rats, and humans,” Journal of Nuclear Science and Technology, vol. 47, no. 8, pp. 731–738, 2010.
- A. Muller and H. Sies, “Role of alcohol dehydrogenase activity and of acetaldehyde in ethanol-induced ethane and pentane production by isolated perfused rat liver,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 206, no. 1, pp. 153–156, 1982.
- O. R. Koch, T. Galeotti, G. M. Bartoli, and A. Boveris, “Alcohol-induced oxidative stress in rat liver,” Xenobiotica, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 1077–1084, 1991.
- A. Dey and A. I. Cederbaum, “Alcohol and oxidative liver injury,” Hepatology, vol. 43, no. 2, supplement 1, pp. S63–S74, 2006.
- O. R. Koch, G. Pani, S. Borrello et al., “Oxidative stress and antioxidant defenses in ethanol-induced cell injury,” Molecular Aspects of Medicine, vol. 25, no. 1-2, pp. 191–198, 2004.
- T. Kataoka, Y. Nishiyama, T. Toyota et al., “Radon inhalation protects mice from carbon-tetrachloride-induced hepatic and renal damage,” Inflammation, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 559–567, 2011.
- T. Kataoka, A. Sakoda, M. Yoshimoto et al., “A comparative study on effect of continuous radon inhalation on several-time acute alcohol-induced oxidative damages of liver and brain in mouse,” Radiation Safety Management, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2011.
- M. M. Bradford, “A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein dye binding,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 72, no. 1-2, pp. 248–254, 1976.
- R. L. Baehner, S. K. Murrmann, J. Davis, and R. B. Johnston, “The role of superoxide anion and hydrogen peroxide in phagocytosis associated oxidative metabolic reactions,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 571–576, 1975.
- H. Aebi, S. R. Wyss, B. Scherz, and J. Gross, “Properties of erythrocyte catalase from homozygotes and heterozygotes for Swiss type acatalasemia,” Biochemical Genetics, vol. 14, no. 9-10, pp. 791–807, 1976.
- K. Yamaoka, R. Edamatsu, and A. Mori, “Increased SOD activities and decreased lipid peroxide levels induced by low dose X irradiation in rat organs,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 299–306, 1991.
- K. Yamaoka, Y. Komoto, I. Suzuka, R. Edamatsu, and A. Mori, “Effects of radon inhalation on biological function—lipid peroxide level, superoxide dismutase activity, and membrane fluidity,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 302, no. 1, pp. 37–41, 1993.
- S. Kojima, O. Matsuki, T. Nomura et al., “Induction of mRNAs for glutathione synthesis-related proteins in mouse liver by low doses of γ-rays,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1381, no. 3, pp. 312–318, 1998.
- T. Kataoka, M. Yoshimoto, S. Nakagawa, Y. Mizuguchi, T. Taguchi, and K. Yamaoka, “Basic study on active changes in biological function of mouse liver graft in cold storage after low-dose X-irradiation,” Journal of Clinical Biochemistry and Nutrition, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 219–226, 2009.
- T. Kataoka, Y. Mizuguchi, M. Yoshimoto, T. Taguchi, and K. Yamaoka, “Inhibitory effects of prior low-dose X-irradiation on ischemia-reperfusion injury in mouse paw,” Journal of Radiation Research, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 505–513, 2007.
- M. Yoshimoto, T. Kataoka, T. Toyota, T. Taguchi, and K. Yamaoka, “Inhibitory effects of prior low-dose X-irradiation on cold-induced brain injury in mouse,” Inflammation, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 89–97, 2012.
- T. Kataoka and K. Yamaoka, “Activation of biodefense system by low-dose irradiation or radon inhalation and its applicable possibility for treatment of diabetes and hepatopathy,” ISRN Endocrinology, vol. 2012, Article ID 292041, 11 pages, 2012.
- T. Kataoka, T. Nomura, D. H. Wang, T. Taguchi, and K. Yamaoka, “Effects of post low-dose X-ray irradiation on carbon tetrachloride-induced acatalasemic mice liver damage,” Physiological Chemistry and Physics and Medical NMR, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 109–126, 2005.
- K. Yamaoka, T. Kataoka, T. Nomura et al., “Inhibitory effects of prior low-dose X-ray irradiation on carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatopathy in acatalasemic mice,” Journal of Radiation Research, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 89–95, 2004.
- K. Kataoka, Y. Nishiyama, K. Yamato et al., “Comparative study on the inhibitory effects of antioxidant vitamins and on carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatopathy,” Journal of Radiation Research, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 830–839, 2012.
- K. Kataoka, K. Yamato, Y. Nishiyama et al., “Comparative study on the inhibitory effects of α-tocopherol and radon on carbon tetrachloride-induced renal damage,” Renal Failure, vol. 34, no. 9, pp. 1181–1187, 2012.
- K. Yamato, T. Kataoka, Y. Nishiyama, T. Taguchi, and K. Yamaoka, “Preventive and curative effects of radon inhalation on chronic constriction injury-induced neuropathic pain in mice,” European Journal of Pain.
- B. L. Vogt and J. P. Richie, “Glutathione depletion and recovery after acute ethanol administration in the aging mouse,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 73, no. 10, pp. 1613–1621, 2007.
- O. Strubelt, M. Younes, and R. Pentz, “Enhancement by glutathione depletion of ethanol-induced acute hepatotoxicity in vitro and in vivo,” Toxicology, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 213–223, 1987.
- Y. Tang, C. Gao, M. Xing et al., “Quercetin prevents ethanol-induced dyslipidemia and mitochondrial oxidative damage,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 1194–1200, 2012.
- V. Damodara Reddy, P. Padmavathi, S. Gopi, M. Paramahamsa, and N. C. Varadacharyulu, “Protective effect of emblica officinalis against alcohol-induced hepatic injury by ameliorating oxidative stress in rats,” Indian Journal of Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 419–424, 2010.