- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Mediators of Inflammation
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 476979, 6 pages
Association between Serum Neopterin and Inflammatory Activation in Chronic Kidney Disease
Departments of Nephrology and Translational and Regenerative Medicine, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh 160012, India
Received 14 June 2012; Revised 11 July 2012; Accepted 11 July 2012
Academic Editor: Giamila Fantuzzi
Copyright © 2012 Ashok Kumar Yadav et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Huber, J. R. Batchelor, and D. Fuchs, “Immune response-associated production of neopterin. Release from macrophages primarily under control of interferon-gamma,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 160, no. 1, pp. 310–316, 1984.
- G. Hoffmann, B. Wirleitner, and D. Fuchs, “Potential role of immune system activation-associated production of neopterin derivatives in humans,” Inflammation Research, vol. 52, no. 8, pp. 313–321, 2003.
- H. Y. Lhee, H. Kim, J. J. Kwan, S. J. Soo, and B. L. Kyu, “The clinical significance of serum and urinary neopterin levels in several renal diseases,” Journal of Korean Medical Science, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 678–682, 2006.
- W. E. Aulitzky, H. Tilg, D. Nicderwieser et al., “Comparison of serum neopterin levels and urinary neopterin excretion in renal allograft recipients,” Clinical Nephrology, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 248–252, 1988.
- J. L. Fahey, J. M. G. Taylor, R. Detels et al., “The prognostic value of cellular and serologic markers in infection with human immunodeficiency virus type 1,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 322, no. 3, pp. 166–172, 1990.
- W. Halota, B. Jaruga, and M. Pawłkowska, “Serum neopterin and β2-microglobulin concentration as 'prognostic markers' of AIDS natural history,” Polski Merkuriusz Lekarski, vol. 13, no. 74, pp. 126–128, 2002.
- C. Y. Lin, “Urinary neopterin as a new biochemical marker for the monitoring of disease activity and prognosis in membranous nephropathy associated with hepatitis B surface antigenemia,” Nephron, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 115–120, 1989.
- W. Aulitzky, J. Frick, and D. Fuchs, “Significance of urinary neopterin in patients with malignant tumors of the genitourinary tract,” Cancer, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 1052–1055, 1985.
- A. Bichler, D. Fuchs, and A. Hausen, “Urinary neopterine excretion in patients with genital cancer,” Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 38–40, 1982.
- H. F. Alber, C. Duftner, M. Wanitschek et al., “Neopterin, CD4+CD28- lymphocytes and the extent and severity of coronary artery disease,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 135, no. 1, pp. 27–35, 2009.
- G. K. Chin, C. L. Adams, B. S. Carey, S. Shaw, W. Y. Tse, and E. R. Kaminski, “The value of serum neopterin, interferon-gamma levels and interleukin-12B polymorphisms in predicting acute renal allograft rejection,” Clinical and Experimental Immunology, vol. 152, no. 2, pp. 239–244, 2008.
- S. Gupta, S. Fredericks, R. A. Schwartzman et al., “Serum neopterin in acute coronary syndromes,” Lancet, vol. 349, no. 9060, pp. 1252–1253, 1997.
- M. Schumacher, G. Halwachs, F. Tatzber et al., “Increased neopterin in patients with chronic and acute coronary syndromes,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 703–707, 1997.
- M. F. Weiss, R. A. Rodby, A. C. Justice et al., “Free pentosidine and neopterin as markers of progression rate in diabetic nephropathy,” Kidney International, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 193–202, 1998.
- J. Auer, R. Berent, E. Lassnig, T. Weber, and B. Eber, “Prognostic significance of immune activation after acute coronary syndromes,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 39, no. 11, p. 1878, 2002.
- M. Erren, H. Reinecke, R. Junker et al., “Systemic inflammatory parameters in patients with atherosclerosis of the coronary and peripheral arteries,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 2355–2363, 1999.
- T. Sasaki, Y. Takeishi, S. Suzuki et al., “High serum level of neopterin is a risk factor of patients with heart failure,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 145, no. 2, p. 318, 2010.
- L. Hermus, J. H. N. Schuitemaker, R. A. Tio et al., “Novel serum biomarkers in carotid artery stenosis: useful to identify the vulnerable plaque?” Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 44, no. 16, pp. 1292–1298, 2011.
- E. Avci, Ş. Coşkun, E. Çakir, Y. Kurt, E. Ö. Akgül, and C. Bilgi, “Relations between concentrations of asymmetric dimethylarginine and neopterin as potential risk factors for cardiovascular diseases in haemodialysis-treated patients,” Renal Failure, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 784–790, 2008.
- A. S. Go, G. M. Chertow, D. Fan, C. E. McCulloch, and C. Y. Hsu, “Chronic kidney disease and the risks of death, cardiovascular events, and hospitalization,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 351, no. 13, pp. 1296–1370, 2004.
- K. Kalantar-Zadeh, “Inflammatory marker mania in chronic kidney disease: Pentraxins at the crossroad of universal soldiers of inflammation,” Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 872–875, 2007.
- P. Stenvinkel, “Inflammation in end-stage renal failure: could it be treated?” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 17, supplement 8, pp. 33–38, 2002.
- P. Stenvinkel, “Inflammation in end-stage renal disease—a fire that burns within,” Contributions to Nephrology, vol. 149, pp. 185–199, 2005.
- R. M. Bologa, D. M. Levine, T. S. Parker et al., “Interleukin-6 predicts hypoalbuminemia, hypocholesterolemia, and mortality in hemodialysis patients,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 107–114, 1998.
- P. L. Kimmel, T. M. Phillips, S. J. Simmens et al., “Immunologic function and survival in hemodialysis patients,” Kidney International, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 236–244, 1998.
- D. Fuchs, A. Hausen, G. Reibnegger, E. R. Werner, V. P. Dittrich, and H. Wachter, “Neopterin levels in long-term hemodialysis,” Clinical Nephrology, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 220–224, 1988.
- K. Godai, J. Uemasu, and H. Kawasaki, “Clinical significance of serum and urinary neopterins in patients with chronic renal disease,” Clinical Nephrology, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 141–146, 1991.
- K. Oda, T. Arai, and M. Nagase, “Increased serum and urinary neopterin in nephrotic syndrome indicate cell-mediated immune dysfunction,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 611–617, 1999.
- A. K. Yadav and V. Jha, “CD4+CD28null cells are expanded and exhibit a cytolytic profile in end-stage renal disease patients on peritoneal dialysis,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 1689–1694, 2011.
- A. K. Yadav, A. Lal, and V. Jha, “Association of circulating fractalkine (CX3CL1) and CX3CR1(+)CD4(+) T cells with common carotid artery intima-media thickness in patients with chronic kidney disease,” Journal of Atherosclerosis and Thrombosis, vol. 18, no. 11, pp. 958–965, 2011.
- A. S. Levey, J. P. Bosch, J. B. Lewis, T. Greene, N. Rogers, and D. Roth, “A more accurate method to estimate glomerular filtration rate from serum creatinine: a new prediction equation,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 130, no. 6, pp. 461–470, 1999.
- National Kidney Foundation, “K/DOQI clinical practice guidelines for chronic kidney disease: evaluation, classification, and stratification,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 39, supplement, no. 2, pp. S1–S266, 2002.
- R. Pecoits-Filho, O. Heimbürger, P. Bárány et al., “Associations between circulating inflammatory markers and residual renal function in CRF patients,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 1212–1218, 2003.
- A. Jairam, R. Das, P. K. Aggarwal et al., “Iron status, inflammation and hepcidin in ESRD patients: the confounding role of intravenous iron therapy,” Indian Journal of Nephrology, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 125–131, 2010.
- R. Pecoits-Filho, P. Bárány, B. Lindholm, O. Heimbürger, and P. Stenvinkel, “Interleukin-6 is an independent predictor of mortality in patients starting dialysis treatment,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 1684–1688, 2002.
- C. K. Chiang, S. P. Hsu, M. F. Pai et al., “Interleukin-18 is a strong predictor of hospitalization in haemodialysis patients,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 2810–2815, 2004.
- D. N. Reddan, P. S. Klassen, L. A. Szczech et al., “White blood cells as a novel mortality predictor in haemodialysis patients,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 1167–1173, 2003.
- C. Zoccali, F. Mallamaci, G. Tripepi et al., “Fibrinogen, mortality and incident cardiovascular complications in end-stage renal failure,” Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 254, no. 2, pp. 132–139, 2003.
- P. Stenvinkel, O. Heimburger, T. Wang, B. Lindholm, J. Bergstrom, and G. Elinder, “High serum hyaluronan indicates poor survival in renal replacement therapy,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 1083–1088, 1999.
- J. Zimmermann, S. Herrlinger, A. Pruy, T. Metzger, and C. Wanner, “Inflammation enhances cardiovascular risk and mortality in hemodialysis patients,” Kidney International, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 648–658, 1999.
- M. Tong, J. J. Carrero, A. R. Qureshi et al., “Plasma pentraxin 3 in patients with chronic kidney disease: associations with renal function, protein-energy wasting, cardiovascular disease, and mortality,” Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 889–897, 2007.
- M. W. N. Nijsten, E. R. De Groot, H. J. Ten Duis, H. J. Klasen, C. E. Hack, and L. A. Aarden, “Serum levels of interleukin-6 and acute phase responses,” Lancet, vol. 2, no. 8564, p. 921, 1987.
- D. R. Schultz and P. I. Arnold, “Properties of four acute phase proteins: C-reactive protein, serum amyloid A protein, α1-acid glycoprotein, and fibrinogen,” Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 129–147, 1990.
- P. Zaoui and R. M. Hakim, “The effects of the dialysis membrane on cytokine release,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 1711–1718, 1994.
- E. R. Werner, G. Werner-Felmayer, D. Fuchs et al., “Biochemistry and function of pteridine synthesis in human and murine macrophages,” Pathobiology, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 276–279, 1991.
- X. Garcia-Moll, F. Coccolo, D. Cole, and J. C. Kaski, “Serum Neopterin and complex stenosis morphology in patients with unstable angina,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 956–962, 2000.
- E. Zouridakis, P. Avanzas, R. Arroyo-Espliguero, S. Fredericks, and J. C. Kaski, “Markers of inflammation and rapid coronary artery disease progression in patients with stable angina pectoris,” Circulation, vol. 110, no. 13, pp. 1747–1753, 2004.
- E. R. Pedersen, Ø. Midttun, P. M. Ueland et al., “Systemic markers of interferon-γ-mediated immune activation and long-term prognosis in patients with stable coronary artery disease,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 698–704, 2011.
- W. Schobersberger, G. Hoffmann, J. Grote, H. Wachter, and D. Fuchs, “Induction of inducible nitric oxide synthase expression by neopterin in vascular smooth muscle cells,” FEBS Letters, vol. 377, no. 3, pp. 461–464, 1995.
- G. Werner-Felmayer, E. R. Werner, D. Fuchs et al., “Pteridine biosynthesis in human endothelial cells. Impact on nitric oxide- mediated formation of cyclic GMP,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 268, no. 3, pp. 1842–1846, 1993.