- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Mediators of Inflammation
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 631251, 9 pages
Increased Serum Levels and Chondrocyte Expression of Nesfatin-1 in Patients with Osteoarthritis and Its Relation with BMI, hsCRP, and IL-18
Department of Orthopedics Surgery, The Second Hospital of Medical College, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310000, China
Received 8 May 2013; Revised 1 August 2013; Accepted 2 September 2013
Academic Editor: Oreste Gualillo
Copyright © 2013 Lifeng Jiang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Krasnokutsky, J. Samuels, and S. B. Abramson, “Osteoarthritis in 2007,” Bulletin of the NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 222–228, 2007.
- B. Goldring, “The role of the chondrocyte in osteoarthritis,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 43, no. 9, pp. 1916–1926, 2000.
- M. Scotece, J. Conde, R. Gómez, et al., “Role of adipokines in atherosclerosis: interferences with cardiovascular complications in rheumatic diseases,” Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 2012, Article ID 125458, 14 pages, 2012.
- Z. Wang and T. Nakayama, “Inflammation, a link between obesity and cardiovascular disease,” Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 2010, Article ID 535918, 17 pages, 2010.
- C. R. Balistreri, C. Caruso, and G. Candore, “The role of adipose tissue and adipokines in obesity-related inflammatory diseases,” Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 2010, Article ID 802078, 19 pages, 2010.
- N. de Boer, W. E. van Spil, A. M. Huisman, et al., “Serum adipokines in osteoarthritis, comparison with controls and relationship with local parameters of synovial inflammation and cartilage damage,” Osteoarthritis Cartilage, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 846–853, 2012.
- J.-P. Bao, W.-P. Chen, J. Feng, P.-F. Hu, Z.-L. Shi, and L.-D. Wu, “Leptin plays a catabolic role on articular cartilage,” Molecular Biology Reports, vol. 37, no. 7, pp. 3265–3272, 2010.
- W.-P. Chen, J.-P. Bao, J. Feng, P.-F. Hu, Z.-L. Shi, and L.-D. Wu, “Increased serum concentrations of visfatin and its production by different joint tissues in patients with osteoarthritis,” Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 48, no. 8, pp. 1141–1145, 2010.
- A. D. Pearle, C. R. Scanzello, S. George et al., “Elevated high-sensitivity C-reactive protein levels are associated with local inflammatory findings in patients with osteoarthritis,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 516–523, 2007.
- M. Sharif, L. Shepstone, C. J. Elson, P. A. Dieppe, and J. R. Kirwan, “Increased serum C reactive protein may reflect events that precede radiographic progression in osteoarthritis of the knee,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 71–74, 2000.
- G. Engström, M. Gerhardsson de Verdier, J. Rollof, P. M. Nilsson, and L. S. Lohmander, “C-reactive protein, metabolic syndrome and incidence of severe hip and knee osteoarthritis. A population-based Cohort Study,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 168–173, 2009.
- S. Luo, H. Lei, and Q. Liu, “Correlation between serum adiponectin and risk factors in patients with coronary artery disease,” Clinical Laboratory, vol. 59, no. 1-2, pp. 121–126, 2013.
- J.-C. Rousseau, Y. Zhu, P. Miossec et al., “Serum levels of type IIA procollagen amino terminal propeptide (PIIANP) are decreased in patients with knees osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 440–447, 2004.
- M. Sharif, J. Kirwan, N. Charni, L. J. Sandell, C. Whittles, and P. Garnero, “A 5-yr longitudinal study of type IIA collagen synthesis and total type II collagen degradation in patients with knee osteoarthritis—association with disease progression,” Rheumatology, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 938–943, 2007.
- H. Inoue, K. Hiraoka, T. Hoshino et al., “High levels of serum IL-18 promote cartilage loss through suppression of aggrecan synthesis,” Bone, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 1102–1110, 2008.
- E. Moilanen, K. Vuolteenaho, A. Koskinen et al., “Leptin enhances synthesis of proinflammatory mediators in human osteoarthritic cartilage-Mediator role of NO in leptin-induced PGE 2, IL-6, and IL-8 Production,” Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 2009, Article ID 345838, 10 pages, 2009.
- I. S. Oh, H. Shimizu, T. Satoh et al., “Identification of nesfatin-1 as a satiety molecule in the hypothalamus,” Nature, vol. 443, no. 7112, pp. 709–712, 2006.
- H. Shimizu, S. Oh-I, S. Okada, and M. Mori, “Nesfatin-1: an overview and future clinical application,” Endocrine Journal, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 537–543, 2009.
- H. Gunay, R. Tutuncu, S. Aydin, E. Dag, and D. Abasli, “Decreased plasma nesfatin-1 levels in patients with generalized anxiety disorder,” Psychoneuroendocrinology, vol. 37, no. 12, pp. 949–953, 2012.
- J. F. Saldanha, J. J. Carrero, J. C. Lobo et al., “The newly identified anorexigenic adipokine nesfatin-1 in hemodialysis patients: are there associations with food intake, body composition and inflammation?” Regulatory Peptides, vol. 173, no. 1–3, pp. 82–85, 2012.
- H. Yamawaki, M. Takahashi, M. Mukohda, T. Morita, M. Okada, and Y. Hara, “A novel adipocytokine, nesfatin-1 modulates peripheral arterial contractility and blood pressure in rats,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 418, no. 4, pp. 676–681, 2012.
- A.-Q. Zhang, X.-L. Li, C.-Y. Jiang et al., “Expression of nesfatin-1/NUCB2 in rodent digestive system,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 16, no. 14, pp. 1735–1741, 2010.
- M. S. Bonnet, E. Pecchi, J. Trouslard, A. Jean, M. Dallaporta, and J.-D. Troadec, “Central nesfatin-1-expressing neurons are sensitive to peripheral inflammatory stimulus,” Journal of Neuroinflammation, vol. 6, article 1742, p. 27, 2009.
- D. Özsavcí, M. Erşahin, A. Şener et al., “The novel function of nesfatin-1 as an anti-inflammatory and antiapoptotic peptide in subarachnoid hemorrhage-induced oxidative brain damage in rats,” Neurosurgery, vol. 68, no. 6, pp. 1699–1708, 2011.
- C.-H. Tang, X.-J. Fu, X.-L. Xu, X.-J. Wei, and H.-S. Pan, “The anti-inflammatory and anti-apoptotic effects of nesfatin-1 in the traumatic rat brain,” Peptides, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 39–45, 2012.
- J. Conde, M. Scotece, R. Gómez, et al., “Adipokines and osteoarthritis: novel molecules involved in the pathogenesis and progression of disease,” Arthritis, vol. 2011, Article ID 203901, 8 pages, 2011.
- E. E. Kershaw and J. S. Flier, “Adipose tissue as an endocrine organ,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 2548–2556, 2004.
- K. M. Tong, et al., “Adiponectin increases MMP-3 expression in human chondrocytes through AdipoR1 signaling pathway,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 112, no. 5, pp. 1431–1440, 2011.
- S. Honsawek and M. Chayanupatkul, “Correlation of plasma and synovial fluid adiponectin with knee osteoarthritis severity,” Archives of Medical Research, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 593–598, 2010.
- M. Filkova, M. Lišková, H. Hulejová et al., “Increased serum adiponectin levels in female patients with erosive compared with non-erosive osteoarthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 295–296, 2009.
- N. Presle, P. Pottie, H. Dumond et al., “Differential distribution of adipokines between serum and synovial fluid in patients with osteoarthritis. Contribution of joint tissues to their articular production,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 690–695, 2006.
- A. Osaki, H. Shimizu, N. Ishizuka, Y. Suzuki, M. Mori, and S. Inoue, “Enhanced expression of nesfatin/nucleobindin-2 in white adipose tissue of ventromedial hypothalamus-lesioned rats,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 521, no. 1, pp. 46–51, 2012.
- M. Ari, O. H. Ozturk, Y. Bez, S. Oktar, and D. Erduran, “High plasma nesfatin-1 level in patients with major depressive disorder,” Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 497–500, 2011.
- E. Yusuf, A. Ioan-Facsinay, J. Bijsterbosch et al., “Association between leptin, adiponectin and resistin and long-term progression of hand osteoarthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 70, no. 7, pp. 1282–1284, 2011.
- L. Lapaj, J. Markuszewski, and M. Wierusz-Kozlowska, “Current views on the pathogenesis of osteoarthritis,” Chirurgia Narzadow Ruchu i Ortopedia Polska, vol. 75, no. 4, pp. 248–260, 2010.
- G. L. C. Yosten and W. K. Samson, “The anorexigenic and hypertensive effects of nesfatin-1 are reversed by pretreatment with an oxytocin receptor antagonist,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 298, no. 6, pp. R1642–R1647, 2010.
- É. Toussirot, G. Streit, and D. Wendling, “The contribution of adipose tissue and adipokines to inflammation in joint diseases,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 1095–1100, 2007.
- P. Pottie, N. Presle, B. Terlain, P. Netter, D. Mainard, and F. Berenbaum, “Obesity and osteoarthritis: more complex than predicted!,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 65, no. 11, pp. 1403–1405, 2006.
- C.-T. Lee, H.-Y. Ng, C.-Y. Hsu et al., “Proinflammatory cytokines, hepatocyte growth factor and adipokines in peritoneal dialysis patients,” Artificial Organs, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. E222–E229, 2010.
- P. Garnero, X. Ayral, J.-C. Rousseau et al., “Uncoupling of type II collagen synthesis and degradation predicts progression of joint damage in patients with knee osteoarthritis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 46, no. 10, pp. 2613–2624, 2002.
- H. Dumond, N. Presle, B. Terlain et al., “Evidence for a key role of leptin in osteoarthritis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 48, no. 11, pp. 3118–3129, 2003.