- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Mediators of Inflammation
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 713284, 9 pages
Paradoxical Glucose-Sensitizing yet Proinflammatory Effects of Acute ASP Administration in Mice
1Centre de Recherche de l’Institut Universitaire de Cardiologie et de Pneumologie de Québec, Université Laval, Y4332, 2725 Chemin Ste-Foy, Québec, QC, Canada G1V 4G5
2Department of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, PA 19104-6100, USA
Received 7 March 2013; Revised 16 April 2013; Accepted 19 April 2013
Academic Editor: Massimo Collino
Copyright © 2013 Alexandre Fisette et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Maury and S. M. Brichard, “Adipokine dysregulation, adipose tissue inflammation and metabolic syndrome,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 314, no. 1, pp. 1–16, 2010.
- K. Cianflone, Z. Xia, and L. Y. Chen, “Critical review of acylation-stimulating protein physiology in humans and rodents,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta—Biomembranes, vol. 1609, no. 2, pp. 127–143, 2003.
- A. Fisette and K. Cianflone, “The ASP and C5L2 pathway: another bridge between inflammation and metabolic homeostasis,” Clinical Lipidology, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 367–377, 2010.
- Z. Yasruel, K. Cianflone, A. D. Sniderman, M. Rosenbloom, M. Walsh, and M. A. Rodriguez, “Effect of acylation stimulating protein on the triacylglycerol synthetic pathway of human adipose tissue,” Lipids, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 495–499, 1991.
- M. Maslowska, A. D. Sniderman, R. Germinario, and K. Cianflone, “ASP stimulates glucose transport in cultured human adipocytes,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 261–266, 1997.
- Y. Tao, K. Cianflone, A. D. Sniderman, S. P. Colby-Germinario, and R. J. Germinario, “Acylation-stimulating protein (ASP) regulates glucose transport in the rat L6 muscle cell line,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta—Lipids and Lipid Metabolism, vol. 1344, no. 3, pp. 221–229, 1997.
- V. Van Harmelen, S. Reynisdottir, K. Cianflone et al., “Mechanisms involved in the regulation of free fatty acid release from isolated human fat cells by acylation-stimulating protein and insulin,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 274, no. 26, pp. 18243–18251, 1999.
- M. Maslowska, H. Legakis, F. Assadi, and K. Cianflone, “Targeting the signaling pathway of acylation stimulating protein,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 643–652, 2006.
- D. Kalant, S. Cain, M. Maslowska, A. Sniderman, K. Cianflone, and P. Monk, “The chemoattractant receptor-like protein C5L2 binds the C3a des-Arg(77)/acylation-stimulating protein,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 11, pp. 123–129, 2003.
- D. Kalant, R. MacLaren, W. Cui et al., “C5L2 is a functional receptor for acylation-stimulating protein,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 280, no. 25, pp. 23936–23944, 2005.
- W. Cui, M. Simaan, S. Laporte, R. Lodge, and K. Cianflone, “C5a- and ASP-mediated C5L2 activation, endocytosis and recycling are lost in S323I-C5L2 mutation,” Molecular Immunology, vol. 46, no. 15, pp. 3086–3098, 2009.
- S. Paglialunga, P. Schrauwen, C. Roy et al., “Reduced adipose tissue triglyceride synthesis and increased muscle fatty acid oxidation in C5L2 knockout mice,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 194, no. 2, pp. 293–304, 2007.
- N. P. Gerard and C. Gerard, “The chemotactic receptor for human C5a anaphylatoxin,” Nature, vol. 349, no. 6310, pp. 614–617, 1991.
- P. N. Monk, A. M. Scola, P. Madala, and D. P. Fairlie, “Function, structure and therapeutic potential of complement C5a receptors,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 152, no. 4, pp. 429–448, 2007.
- N. J. Chen, C. Mirtsos, D. Suh et al., “C5L2 is critical for the biological activities of the anaphylatoxins C5a and C3a,” Nature, vol. 446, no. 7132, pp. 203–207, 2007.
- V. A. Bokisch and H. J. Müller-Eberhard, “Anaphylatoxin inactivator of human plasma: its isolation and characterization as a carboxypeptidase,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 49, no. 12, pp. 2427–2436, 1970.
- N. Haeffner-Cavaillon, J. M. Cavaillon, M. Laude, and M. D. Kazatchkine, “C3a(C3adesArg) induces production and release of interleukin 1 by cultured human monocytes,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 139, no. 3, pp. 794–799, 1987.
- T. Takabayashi, E. Vannier, B. D. Clark et al., “A new biologic role for C3a and C3a desArg: regulation of TNF-α and IL-1β synthesis,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 156, no. 9, pp. 3455–3460, 1996.
- M. Honczarenko, B. Lu, A. Nicholson-Weller, N. P. Gerard, L. E. Silberstein, and C. Gerard, “C5L2 receptor is not involved in C3a/C3a-desArg-mediated enhancement of bone marrow hematopoietic cell migration to CXCL12 ,” Leukemia, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 1682–1683, 2005.
- S. He, C. Atkinson, F. Qiao, K. Cianflone, X. Chen, and S. Tomlinson, “A complement-dependent balance between hepatic ischemia/reperfusion injury and liver regeneration in mice,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 119, no. 8, pp. 2304–2316, 2009.
- J. Saleh, L. K. M. Summers, K. Cianflone, B. A. Fielding, A. D. Sniderman, and K. N. Frayn, “Coordinated release of acylation stimulating protein (ASP) and triacylglycerol clearance by human adipose tissue in vivo in the postprandial period,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 884–891, 1998.
- D. Kalant, S. Phélis, B. A. Fielding, K. N. Frayn, K. Cianflone, and A. D. Sniderman, “Increased postprandial fatty acid trapping in subcutaneous adipose tissue in obese women,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 41, no. 12, pp. 1963–1968, 2000.
- A. Onat, G. Can, R. Rezvani, and K. Cianflone, “Complement C3 and cleavage products in cardiometabolic risk,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 412, no. 13-14, pp. 1171–1179, 2011.
- K. Cianflone, R. Zakarian, C. Couillard, B. Delplanque, J. P. Despres, and A. Sniderman, “Fasting acylation-stimulating protein is predictive of postprandial triglyceride clearance,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 124–131, 2004.
- W. Cui, M. Lapointe, D. Gauvreau, D. Kalant, and K. Cianflone, “Recombinant C3adesArg/acylation stimulating protein (ASP) is highly bioactive: a critical evaluation of C5L2 binding and 3T3-L1 adipocyte activation,” Molecular Immunology, vol. 46, no. 16, pp. 3207–3217, 2009.
- S. A. Bustin, V. Benes, J. A. Garson et al., “The MIQE guidelines: minimum information for publication of quantitative real-time PCR experiments,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 611–622, 2009.
- M. N. Munkonda, M. Lapointe, P. Miegueu et al., “Recombinant acylation stimulating protein administration to C3(-/-) mice increases insulin resistance via adipocyte inflammatory mechanisms,” PLoS One, vol. 7, Article ID e46883, 2012.
- S. Paglialunga, A. Fisette, M. Munkonda, Y. Gao, D. Richard, and K. Cianflone, “The effects of acylation stimulating protein supplementation VS antibody neutralization on energy expenditure in wildtype mice,” BMC Physiology, vol. 10, no. 1, article 4, 2010.
- A. Fisette, M. N. Munkonda, K. Oikonomopoulou, S. Paglialunga, J. D. Lambris, and K. Cianflone, “C5L2 receptor disruption enhances the development of diet-induced insulin resistance in mice,” Immunobiology, vol. 218, no. 1, pp. 127–133, 2012.
- I. Murray, A. D. Sniderman, and K. Cianflone, “Enhanced triglyceride clearance with intraperitoneal human acylation stimulating protein in C57BL/6 mice,” American Journal of Physiology—Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 277, no. 3, pp. E474–E480, 1999.
- M. Y. Jung, H. S. Kim, H. J. Hong, B. S. Youn, and T. S. Kim, “Adiponectin induces dendritic cell activation via PLC/JNK/NF-B pathways, leading to Th1 and Th17 polarization,” The Journal of Immunology, vol. 188, pp. 2592–2601, 2012.
- B. K. Pedersen, M. A. Febbraio, and R. A. Mooney, “Interleukin-6 does/does not have a beneficial role in insulin sensitivity and glucose homeostasis,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 814–819, 2007.
- R. A. Mooney, “Counterpoint: interleukin-6 does not have a beneficial role in insulin sensitivity and glucose homeostasis,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 816–819, 2007.
- J. J. Senn, P. J. Klover, I. A. Nowak, and R. A. Mooney, “Interleukin-6 induces cellular insulin resistance in hepatocytes,” Diabetes, vol. 51, no. 12, pp. 3391–3399, 2002.
- L. E. Bernstein, J. Berry, S. Kim, B. Canavan, and S. K. Grinspoon, “Effects of etanercept in patients with the metabolic syndrome,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 166, no. 8, pp. 902–908, 2006.