- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Minimally Invasive Surgery
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 671308, 6 pages
Arthroscopic Optical Coherence Tomography in Diagnosis of Early Arthritis
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Cartilage Restoration Center, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, BST 1640 200 Lothrop Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Received 28 October 2010; Revised 15 January 2011; Accepted 8 February 2011
Academic Editor: Stephen Kavic
Copyright © 2011 Michael J. O'Malley and Constance R. Chu. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. W. Moskowitz, “The burden of osteoarthritis: clinical and quality-of-life issues,” The American Journal of Managed Care, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. S223–S229, 2009.
- F. J. Blanco, R. Guitian, E. Vázquez-Martul, F. J. De Toro, and F. Galdo, “Osteoarthritis chondrocytes die by apoptosis: a possible pathway for osteoarthritis pathology,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 284–289, 1998.
- J. A. Buckwalter and T. D. Brown, “Joint injury, repair, and remodelling: roles in post-traumatic osteoarthritis,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 423, pp. 7–16, 2004.
- J. Martel-Pelletier, “Pathophysiology of osteoarthritis,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 12, supplement, pp. S31–S33, 2004.
- C. R. Chu, N. J. Izzo, J. J. Irrgang, M. Ferretti, and R. K. Studer, “Clinical diagnosis of potentially treatable early articular cartilage degeneration using optical coherence tomography,” Journal of Biomedical Optics, vol. 12, no. 5, Article ID 051703, 2007.
- M. E. Brezinski, G. J. Tearney, B. Bouma et al., “Optical biopsy with optical coherence tomography,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 838, pp. 68–74, 1998.
- C. R. Chu, D. Lin, J. L. Geisler, C. T. Chu, F. H. Fu, and Y. Pan, “Arthroscopic microscopy of articular cartilage using optical coherence tomography,” American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 699–709, 2004.
- C. R. Chu, A. Williams, D. Tolliver, C. K. Kwoh, S. Bruno, and J. J. Irrgang, “Clinical optical coherence tomography of early articular cartilage degeneration in patients with degenerative meniscal tears,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 1412–1420, 2010.
- J. M. Herrmann, C. Pitris, B. E. Bouma et al., “High resolution imaging of normal and osteoarthritic cartilage with optical coherence tomography,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 627–635, 1999.
- D. Huang, E. A. Swanson, C. P. Lin et al., “Optical coherence tomography,” Science, vol. 254, no. 5035, pp. 1178–1181, 1991.
- X. Li, S. Martin, C. Pitris et al., “High-resolution optical coherence tomographic imaging of osteoarthritic cartilage during open knee surgery,” Arthritis Research & Therapy, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. R318–R323, 2005.
- R. E. Outerbridge, “The etiology of chondromalacia patellae,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, vol. 43, pp. 752–757, 1961.
- H. G. Potter, J. M. Linklater, A. A. Allen, J. A. Hannafin, and S. B. Haas, “Magnetic resonance imaging of articular cartilage in the knee. An evaluation with use of fast-spin-echo imaging,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. Series A, vol. 80, no. 9, pp. 1276–1284, 1998.
- T. Xie, Z. Wang, and Y. Pan, “High-speed optical coherence tomography using fiberoptic acousto-optic phase modulation,” Optics Express, vol. 11, no. 24, pp. 3210–3219, 2003.
- M. E. Brezinski, G. J. Tearney, B. E. Bouma et al., “Optical coherence tomography for optical biopsy: properties and demonstration of vascular pathology,” Circulation, vol. 93, no. 6, pp. 1206–1213, 1996.
- I. C. Han and G. J. Jaffe, “Comparison of spectral- and time-domain optical coherence tomography for retinal thickness measurements in healthy and diseased eyes,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 147, no. 5, pp. 847–858, 2009.
- J. Strasswimmer, M. C. Pierce, B. Hyle Park, V. Neel, and J. F. De Boer, “Polarization-sensitive optical coherence tomography of invasive basal cell carcinoma,” Journal of Biomedical Optics, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 292–298, 2004.
- S. Saarakkala, S. Z. Wang, Y. P. Huang, and Y. P. Zheng, “Quantification of the optical surface reflection and surface roughness of articular cartilage using optical coherence tomography,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 54, no. 22, pp. 6837–6852, 2009.
- S. Z. Wang, Y. P. Huang, Q. Wang, Y. P. Zheng, and Y. H. He, “Assessment of depth and degeneration dependences of articular cartilage refractive index using optical coherence tomography in vitro,” Connective Tissue Research, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 36–47, 2010.
- T. Xie, Y. Xia, S. Guo, P. Hoover, Z. Chen, and G. M. Peavy, “Topographical variations in the polarization sensitivity of articular cartilage as determined by polarization-sensitive optical coherence tomography and polarized light microscopy,” Journal of Biomedical Optics, vol. 13, no. 5, Article ID 054034, 2008.
- M. V. Sarunic, B. E. Applegate, and J. A. Izatt, “Spectral domain second-harmonic optical coherence tomography,” Optics Letters, vol. 30, no. 18, pp. 2391–2393, 2005.
- T. C. Chen, B. Cense, M. C. Pierce et al., “Spectral domain optical coherence tomography ultra-high speed, ultra-high resolution ophthalmic imaging,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 123, no. 12, pp. 1715–1720, 2005.
- W. Drexler, D. Stamper, C. Jesser et al., “Correlation of collagen organization with polarization sensitive imaging of in vitro cartilage: implications for osteoarthritis,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 1311–1318, 2001.
- D. M. Bear, A. Williams, C. T. Chu, C. H. Coyle, and C. R. Chu, “Optical coherence tomography grading correlates with MRI T2 mapping and extracellular matrix content,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 546–552, 2010.
- C. W. Han, C. R. Chu, N. Adachi et al., “Analysis of rabbit articular cartilage repair after chondrocyte implantation using optical coherence tomography,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 111–121, 2003.
- Y. Pan, Z. Li, T. Xie, and C. R. Chu, “Hand-held arthroscopic optical coherence tomography for in vivo high-resolution imaging of articular cartilage,” Journal of Biomedical Optics, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 648–654, 2003.
- E. David-Vaudey, S. Ghosh, M. Ries, and S. Majumdar, “T relaxation time measurements in osteoarthritis,” Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 673–682, 2004.
- D. M. Bear, M. Szczodry, S. Kramer, C. H. Coyle, P. Smolinski, and C. R. Chu, “Optical coherence tomography detection of subclinical traumatic cartilage injury,” Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 577–582, 2010.
- K. Zheng, S. D. Martin, C. H. Rashidifard, B. Liu, and M. E. Brezinski, “In vivo micron-scale arthroscopic imaging of human knee osteoarthritis with optical coherence tomography: comparison with magnetic resonance imaging and arthroscopy,” American Journal of Orthopedics, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 122–125, 2010.