- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Mathematical Problems in Engineering
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 159389, 26 pages
Coupling the BEM/TBEM and the MFS for the Numerical Simulation of Wave Propagation in Heterogeneous Fluid-Solid Media
CICC, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Coimbra, Rua Luís Reis Santos, Pólo II da Universidade, 3030-788 Coimbra, Portugal
Received 31 March 2011; Accepted 24 July 2011
Academic Editor: Luis Godinho
Copyright © 2011 António Tadeu and Igor Castro. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. D. Trifunac, “Surface motion of a semi-cylindrical alluvial valley for incident plane SH waves,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, vol. 61, pp. 1755–1770, 1971.
- Y. H. Pao and C. C. Mow, Diffraction of Elastic Waves and Dynamic Stress Concentrations, Crane and Russak, 1973.
- H. L. Wong and M. D. Trifunac, “Surface motion of semi-elliptical alluvial valley for incident plane SH-waves,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, vol. 64, pp. 1389–1403, 1974.
- V. W. Lee, “Three-dimensional diffraction of elastic waves by a spherical cavity in an elastic half-space, I: closed-form solutions,” Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 149–161, 1988.
- V. W. Lee and J. Karl, “Diffraction of SV waves by underground, circular, cylindrical cavities,” Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 445–456, 1992.
- F. J. Sánchez-Sesma and U. Iturrarán-Viveros, “Scattering and diffraction of SH waves by a finite crack: an analytical solution,” Geophysical Journal International, vol. 145, no. 3, pp. 749–758, 2001.
- G. Kausel, “Thin-layer method: formulation in the time domain,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 927–941, 1994.
- M. H. Aliabadi, Ed., The Boundary Element Method: Appl. in Solids and Structures, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2002.
- F. Ihlenburg, Finite Element Analysis of Acoustic Scattering, vol. 132 of Applied Mathematical Sciences, Springer-Verlag, New York, NY, USA, 1998.
- L. L. Thompson, “A review of finite-element methods for time-harmonic acoustics,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol. 119, no. 3, pp. 1315–1330, 2006.
- L. Savioja, T. Rinne, and T. Takala, “Simulation of room acoustics with a 3-D finite difference mesh,” in Proceedings of the International Computer Music Conference (ICMC'94), pp. 463–466, Aarhus, Denmark, 1994.
- A. Kulowski, “Algorithmic representation of the ray tracing technique,” Applied Acoustics, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 449–469, 1985.
- C. S. Chen, A. Karageorghis, and Y. S. Smyrlis, Eds., The Method of Fundamental Solutions: A Meshless Method, Dynamic Publishers, 2008.
- A. A. Stamos and D. E. Beskos, “3-D seismic response analysis of long lined tunnels in half-space,” Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 111–118, 1996.
- A. J. B. Tadeu, J. M. P. António, and E. Kausel, “3D scattering of waves by a cylindrical irregular cavity of infinite length in a homogeneous elastic medium,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 191, no. 27-28, pp. 3015–3033, 2002.
- J. António and A. Tadeu, “3D seismic response of a limited valley via BEM using 2.5D analytical Green's functions for an infinite free-rigid layer,” Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 659–673, 2002.
- D. N. Dell'erba, M. H. Aliabadi, and D. P. Rooke, “Dual boundary element method for three-dimensional thermoelastic crack problems,” International Journal of Fracture, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 89–101, 1998.
- T. A. Cruse, “Fracture mechanics,” in Boundary Element Methods in Mechanics, D. E. Beskos, Ed., pp. 333–365, North Holland, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1987.
- P. S. Dineva and G. D. Manolis, “Scattering of seismic waves by cracks in multi-layered geological regions I. Mechanical model,” Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 615–625, 2001.
- P. S. Dineva and G. D. Manolis, “Scattering of seismic waves by cracks in multi-layered geological regions II. Numerical results,” Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 627–641, 2001.
- M. H. Aliabadi, “A new generation of boundary element methods in fracture mechanics,” International Journal of Fracture, vol. 86, no. 1-2, pp. 91–125, 1997.
- K. Takakuda, “Diffraction of plane harmonic waves by cracks,” Bulletin of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, vol. 26, no. 214, pp. 487–493, 1983.
- T. A. Cruse, Boundary Element Analysis in Computational Fracture Mechanics, vol. 1 of Mechanics: Computational Mechanics, Kluwer Academic, Dodrecht, The Netherlands, 1988.
- J. Sládek and V. Sládek, “A boundary integral equation method for dynamic crack problems,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 269–277, 1987.
- A. Tadeu, L. Godinho, J. António, and P. Amado Mendes, “Wave propagation in cracked elastic slabs and half-space domains-TBEM and MFS approaches,” Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 819–835, 2007.
- G. Fairweather, A. Karageorghis, and P. A. Martin, “The method of fundamental solutions for scattering and radiation problems,” Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 759–769, 2003.
- L. Godino, A. P. Mendes, A. Tadeu et al., “Numerical simulation of ground rotations along 2D topographical profiles under the incidence of elastic plane waves,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, vol. 99, no. 2, pp. 1147–1161, 2009.
- M. A. Jawson and G. T. Symm, Integral Equation Methods in Potential theory and Elastostatics, Academic Press, London, UK, 1977.
- M. D. Greenberg, Application of Green’s Functions in Science and Engineering, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA, 1971.
- L. Godinho, A. Tadeu, and N. A. Simões, “Accuracy of the MFS and BEM on the analysis of acoustic wave propagation and heat conduction problems,” in Advances in Meshless Methods, S. Jan and S> Vladimir, Eds., Tech Science Press, 2006.
- A. Tadeu, J. António, and L. Godinho, “Defining an accurate MFS solution for 2.5D acoustic and elastic wave propagation,” Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 1383–1395, 2009.
- C. J. S. Alves and V. M. A. Leitão, “Crack analysis using an enriched MFS domain decomposition technique,” Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 160–166, 2006.
- D. Soares Jr., W. J. Mansur, and O. Von Estorff, “An efficient time-domain FEM/BEM coupling approach based on FEM implicit Green's functions and truncation of BEM time convolution process,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 196, no. 9–12, pp. 1816–1826, 2007.
- A. Warszawski, D. Soares Jr., and W. J. Mansur, “A FEM-BEM coupling procedure to model the propagation of interacting acoustic-acoustic/acoustic-elastic waves through axisymmetric media,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 197, no. 45–48, pp. 3828–3835, 2008.
- Z. C. He, G. R. Liu, Z. H. Zhong, G. Y. Zhang, and A. G. Cheng, “A coupled ES-FEM/BEM method for fluid-structure interaction problems,” Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 140–147, 2011.
- D. Soares Jr., O. Von Estorff, and W. J. Mansur, “Iterative coupling of BEM and FEM for nonlinear dynamic analyses,” Computational Mechanics, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 67–73, 2004.
- D. Soares Jr., J. A. M. Carrer, and W. J. Mansur, “Non-linear elastodynamic analysis by the BEM: an approach based on the iterative coupling of the D-BEM and TD-BEM formulations,” Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 761–774, 2005.
- D. Soares Jr., O. Von Estorff, and W. J. Mansur, “Efficient nonlinear solid-fluid interaction analysis by an iterative BEM/FEM coupling,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol. 64, pp. 1416–1431, 2005.
- A. Tadeu, J. António, and I. Castro, “Coupling the BEM/TBEM and the MFS for the numerical simulation of acoustic wave propagation,” Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 405–416, 2010.
- J. António, A. Tadeu, and P. A. Mendes, “Simulation of wave propagation in a fluid-filled borehole embedded in a cracked medium using a coupled BEM/TBEM formulation,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, vol. 99, no. 6, pp. 3326–3329, 2009.
- A. Rodríguez-Castellanos, E. Flores, F. J. Sánchez-Sesma, C. Ortiz-Alemán, M. Nava-Flores, and R. Martin, “Indirect boundary element method applied to fluid—solid interfaces,” Engineering, vol. 31, pp. 470–477, 2002.
- G. Dresen, S. Stanchits, and E. Rybacki, “Borehole breakout evolution through acoustic emission location analysis,” International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 426–435, 2010.
- P. Qu, R. Shen, L. Fu, and Z. Wang, “Time delay effect due to pore pressure changes and existence of cleats on borehole stability in coal seam,” International Journal of Coal Geology, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 212–218, 2011.
- G. D. Manolis and D. E. Beskos, Boundary Element Methods in Elastodynamics, Chapman & Hall, London, UK, 1988.
- A. J. B. Tadeu and Kausel, “Green's functions for two-and-a-half-dimensional elastodynamic problems,” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, vol. 126, no. 10, pp. 1093–1097, 2000.
- A. J. B. Tadeu, P. F. A. Santos, and E. Kausel, “Closed-form integration of singular terms for constant, linear and quadratic boundary elements. Part 1. SH wave propagation,” Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 671–681, 1999.
- A. Tadeu, P. A. Mendes, and J. António, “The simulation of 3D elastic scattering produced by thin rigid inclusions using the traction boundary element method,” Computers and Structures, vol. 84, no. 31-32, pp. 2244–2253, 2006.
- P. A. Mendes and A. Tadeu, “Wave propagation in the presence of empty cracks in an elastic medium,” Computational Mechanics, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 183–199, 2006.
- M. Guiggiani, “Formulation and numerical treatment of boundary integral equations with hypersingular kernels,” in Singular Integrals in Boundary Element Methods, V. Sladek and J. Sladek, Eds., Computational Mechanics Publications, Boston, Mass, USA, 1998.