- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Mathematical Problems in Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 215109, 15 pages
Multiresolution Analysis for Stochastic Finite Element Problems with Wavelet-Based Karhunen-Loève Expansion
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Institute of Engineering Mechanics, Kaiserstraße 12, Building 10.23, 76131 Karlsruhe, Germany
Received 28 October 2011; Revised 12 March 2012; Accepted 25 March 2012
Academic Editor: M. D. S. Aliyu
Copyright © 2012 Carsten Proppe. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. G. Ghanem and P. D. Spanos, Stochastic Finite Elements: A Spectral Approach, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1991.
- D. Xiu and G. E. Karniadakis, “The Wiener-Askey polynomial chaos for stochastic differential equations,” SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 619–644, 2002.
- S. Acharjee and N. Zabaras, “A non-intrusive stochastic Galerkin approach for modeling uncertainty propagation in deformation processes,” Computers and Structures, vol. 85, no. 5-6, pp. 244–254, 2007.
- J. Baroth, Ph. Bressolette, C. Chauvière, and M. Fogli, “An efficient SFE method using Lagrange polynomials: application to nonsingular mechanical problems with uncertain parameters,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 196, no. 45–48, pp. 4419–4429, 2007.
- S. Huang, S. Mahadevan, and R. Rebba, “Collocation-based stochastic finite element analysis for random field problems,” Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 194–205, 2007.
- M. K. Deb, I. M. Babuška, and J. T. Oden, “Solution of stochastic partial differential equations using Galerkin finite element techniques,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 190, no. 48, pp. 6359–6372, 2001.
- H. G. Matthies and A. Keese, “Galerkin methods for linear and nonlinear elliptic stochastic partial differential equations,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 194, no. 12–16, pp. 1295–1331, 2005.
- I. Babuška, R. Tempone, and G. E. Zouraris, “Solving elliptic boundary value problems with uncertain coefficients by the finite element method: the stochastic formulation,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 194, no. 12–16, pp. 1251–1294, 2005.
- I. Babuška, F. Nobile, and R. Tempone, “A stochastic collocation method for elliptic partial differential equations with random input data,” SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 1005–1034, 2007.
- C. Proppe, “Reliability computation with local polynomial chaos approximations,” Zeitschrift für Angewandte Mathematik und Mechanik, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 28–37, 2009.
- S. K. Choi, R. V. Grandhi, and R. A. Canfield, “Structural reliability under non-Gaussian stochastic behavior,” Computers and Structures, vol. 82, no. 13-14, pp. 1113–1121, 2004.
- B. Sudret and A. Der Kiureghian, “Comparison of finite element reliability methods,” Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 337–348, 2002.
- J. E. Hurtado, “An examination of methods for approximating implicit limit state functions from the viewpoint of statistical learning theory,” Structural Safety, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 271–293, 2004.
- C. Proppe, “Estimation of failure probabilities by local approximation of the limit state function,” Structural Safety, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 277–290, 2008.
- K. K. Phoon, S. P. Huang, and S. T. Quek, “Implementation of Karhunen-Loeve expansion for simulation using a wavelet-Galerkin scheme,” Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 293–303, 2002.
- K. Gurley and A. Kareem, “Applications of wavelet transforms in earthquake, wind and ocean engineering,” Engineering Structures, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 149–167, 1999.
- B. A. Zeldin and P. D. Spanos, “Random field representation and synthesis using wavelet bases,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 946–952, 1996.
- O. P. Le Maître, O. M. Knio, H. N. Najm, and R. G. Ghanem, “Uncertainty propagation using Wiener-Haar expansions,” Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 197, no. 1, pp. 28–57, 2004.
- I. Daubechies, Ten Lectures on Wavelets, vol. 61 of CBMS-NSF Regional Conference Series in Applied Mathematics, Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM), Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1992.
- M. Loève, Probability Theory, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1977.
- R. A. Todor and C. Schwab, “Convergence rates for sparse chaos approximations of elliptic problems with stochastic coefficients,” Research Report number 2006-05, Seminar für Angwandte Mathematik, ETH Zürich, Switzerland, 2006.
- C. Proppe, “A stochastic finite-element method for transformed normal random parameter fields,” International Journal for Uncertainty Quantification, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 189–201, 2011.
- J. Baroth, L. Bodé, P. Bressolette, and M. Fogli, “SFE method using Hermite polynomials: an approach for solving nonlinear mechanical problems with uncertain parameters,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 195, no. 44–47, pp. 6479–6501, 2006.
- B. Sudret and A. Der Kiureghian, “Stochastic finite element methods and reliability—state of the art,” Tech. Rep. UCB/SEMM-2000/08, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, Calif, USA, 2000.