- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Mathematical Problems in Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 406521, 24 pages
Application of Kernel Density Estimation in Lamb Wave-Based Damage Detection
1School of Mechanics and Civil & Architecture, Northwestern Polytechnical University, Xi'an, Shaanxi 710129, China
2Department of Mechanical Engineering, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong
Received 13 April 2012; Revised 15 June 2012; Accepted 20 June 2012
Academic Editor: Alessandro Marzani
Copyright © 2012 Long Yu and Zhongqing Su. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. J. Yan, L. Cheng, Z. Y. Wu, and L. H. Yam, “Development in vibration-based structural damage detection technique,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 2198–2211, 2007.
- Q. Yang, “A new damage identification method based on structural flexibility disassembly,” Journal of Vibration and Control, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 1000–1008, 2011.
- L. Yu, L. Cheng, L. H. Yam, Y. J. Yan, and J. S. Jiang, “Online damage detection for laminated composite shells partially filled with fluid,” Composite Structures, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 334–342, 2007.
- X. Lu, M. Lu, L. M. Zhou et al., “Evaluation of welding damage in welded tubular steel structures using guided waves and a probability-based imaging approach,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 20, no. 1, Article ID 015018, 2011.
- J. Chen, Z. Su, and L. Cheng, “Identification of corrosion damage in submerged structures using fundamental anti-symmetric Lamb waves,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 19, no. 1, Article ID 015004, 2010.
- G. Zumpano and M. Meo, “A new nonlinear elastic time reversal acoustic method for the identification and localisation of stress corrosion cracking in welded plate-like structures—a simulation study,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, vol. 44, no. 11-12, pp. 3666–3684, 2007.
- Z. Su, L. Ye, and Y. Lu, “Guided Lamb waves for identification of damage in composite structures: a review,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 295, no. 3–5, pp. 753–780, 2006.
- C. R. Farrar, S. W. Doebling, and D. A. Nix, “Vibration-based structural damage identification,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, vol. 359, no. 1778, pp. 131–149, 2001.
- H. Sohn, C. R. Farrar, F. M. Hemez, and J. J. Czarnecki, “A review of structural health monitoring literature: 1996–2001,” in Proceedings of the 3rd World Conference on Structural Control, Como, Italy, April 2002.
- Z. Su, L. Cheng, X. Wang, L. Yu, and C. Zhou, “Predicting delamination of composite laminates using an imaging approach,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 18, no. 7, Article ID 074002, 2009.
- E. D. Niri and S. Salamone, “A probabilistic framework for acoustic emission source localization in plate-like structures,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 21, no. 3, Article ID 035009, 2012.
- L. Yu, Z. Su, and X. Liu, “The definition and measurement of the probability density function in lamb wave damage detection based on data fusion,” in Proceedings of the14th Asia Pacific Vibration Conference, Kowloon, Hong Kong, 2011.
- A. Raghavan and C. E. S. Cesnik, “Review of guided-wave structural health monitoring,” Shock and Vibration Digest, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 91–114, 2007.
- S. G. Pierce, B. Culshaw, G. Manson, K. Worden, and W. J. Staszewski, “Application of ultrasonic Lamb wave techniques to the evaluation of advanced composite structures,” in Smart Structures and Materials 2000—Sensory Phenomena and Measurement Instrumentation for Smart Structures and Materials, vol. 3986 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 93–103, March 2000.
- D. N. Alleyne and P. Cawley, “The interaction of Lamb waves with defects,” IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 381–397, 1992.
- S. Grondel, C. Paget, C. Delebarre, J. Assaad, and K. Levin, “Design of optimal configuration for generating A0 Lamb mode in a composite plate using piezoceramic transducers,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol. 112, no. 1, pp. 84–90, 2002.
- Z. Su, L. Ye, and X. Bu, “A damage identification technique for CF/EP composite laminates using distributed piezoelectric transducers,” Composite Structures, vol. 57, no. 1–4, pp. 465–471, 2002.
- M. Lemistre and D. L. Balageas, “Structural health monitoring system based on diffracted Lamb wave analysis by multiresolution processing,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 504–511, 2001.
- Y. Lu, L. Ye, Z. Su, and C. Yang, “Quantitative assessment of through-thickness crack size based on Lamb wave scattering in aluminium plates,” NDT and E International, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 59–68, 2008.
- V. Giurgiutiu, J. Bao, and W. Zhao, “Piezoelectric wafer active sensor embedded ultrasonics in beams and plates,” Experimental Mechanics, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 428–449, 2003.
- L. Yu, L. Cheng, and Z. Su, “Correlative sensor array and its applications to identification of damage in plate-like structures,” Structural Control and Health Monitoring. In press.
- D. A. Hutchins, D. P. Jansen, and C. Edwards, “Lamb-wave tomography using non-contact transduction,” Ultrasonics, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 97–103, 1993.
- D. Wang, L. Ye, Z. Su, Y. Lu, F. Li, and G. Meng, “Probabilistic damage identification based on correlation analysis using guided wave signals in aluminum plates,” Structural Health Monitoring, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 133–144, 2010.
- G. Peng and S. Yuan, “Damage localization on two-dimensional structure based on wavelet transform and active lamb wave-based method,” Materials Science Forum, vol. 475-479, no. 3, pp. 2119–2122, 2005.
- L. De Marchi, A. Marzani, N. Speciale, and E. Viola, “A passive monitoring technique based on dispersion compensation to locate impacts in plate-like structures,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 20, no. 3, Article ID 035021, 2011.
- A. Perelli, L. De Marchi, A. Marzani, and N. Speciale, “Acoustic emissions localization in plates with dispersion and reverberations by using sparse PZT sensors in passive mode,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 21, no. 2, Article ID 025010, 2012.
- X. Zhao, H. Gao, G. Zhang et al., “Active health monitoring of an aircraft wing with embedded piezoelectric sensor/actuator network: I. Defect detection, localization and growth monitoring,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 1208–1217, 2007.
- Z. Su, X. Wang, L. Cheng, L. Yu, and Z. Chen, “On selection of data fusion schemes for structural damage evaluation,” Structural Health Monitoring, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 223–241, 2009.
- M. Rosenblatt, “Remarks on some nonparametric estimates of a density function,” Annals of Mathematical Statistics, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 832–837, 1956.
- E. Parzen, “On estimation of a probability density function and mode,” Annals of Mathematical Statistics, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 1065–1076, 1962.
- D. W. Scott, “On optimal and data-based histograms,” Biometrika, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 605–610, 1979.
- B. W. Silverman, Density Estimation for Statistics and Data Analysis, Monographs on Statistics and Applied Probability, Chapman & Hall, CRC Press, London, UK, 1998.
- R. L. Graham, D. E. Knuth, and O. Patashnik, Concrete Mathematics, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass, USA, 2nd edition, 1994.
- Z. I. Botev, J. F. Grotowski, and D. P. Kroese, “Kernel density estimation via diffusion,” Annals of Statistics, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 2916–2957, 2010.
- P. Chaudhuri and J. S. Marron, “Scale space view of curve estimation,” Annals of Statistics, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 408–428, 2000.
- S. Larsson and V. Thomée, Partial Differential Equations with Numerical Methods, vol. 45 of Texts in Applied Mathematics, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2003.
- M. P. Wand and M. C. Jones, Kernel Smoothing, vol. 60 of Monographs on Statistics and Applied Probability, Chapman & Hall, London, UK, 1995.
- H. W. Lilliefors, “On the Kolmogorov-Smirnov test for the exponential distribution with mean unknown,” Journal of the American Statistical Association, vol. 64, no. 325, pp. 387–389, 1969.