- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Mathematical Problems in Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 423524, 24 pages
A Two-Stage DEA to Analyze the Effect of Entrance Deregulation on Iranian Insurers: A Robust Approach
Department of Industrial Engineering, Iran University of Science and Technology, Narmak, Tehran 1684613114, Iran
Received 17 February 2012; Revised 5 May 2012; Accepted 29 May 2012
Academic Editor: Yi-Chung Hu
Copyright © 2012 Seyed Gholamreza Jalali Naini and Hamid Reza Nouralizadeh. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Management and Planning Organization, “The law of the third economic, social, and cultural develpoment plan,” Tech. Rep., Management and Planning Organization, Tehran, Iran, 2003.
- R. Rees, E. Kèssner, P. Klemperer, and C. Matutes, “Regulation and efficiency in European insurance markets,” Economic Policy, no. 29, pp. 365–397, 1999.
- S. Hussels and D. R. Ward, “The impact of deregulation on the German and UK life insurance markets: an analysis of efficiency and productivity between 1991–2002,” Working Paper, Cranfield Research Paper Series, 2007.
- J. L. Wang, L. Y. Tzeng, and E. L. Wang, “The nightmare of the leader: the impact of deregulation on an oligopoly insurance market,” Journal of Insurance, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 15–28, 2003.
- V. Jeng and G. C. Lai, “The impact of deregulation on efficiency: an analysis of life insurance industry in Taiwan from 1981 to 2004,” Risk Management and Insurance Review, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 349–375, 2008.
- J. D. Cummins and M. Rubio-Misas, “Deregulation, consolidation, and efficiency: evidence from the Spanish insurance industry,” Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 323–355, 2006.
- T. Boonyasai, M. F. Grace, and H. D. Skipper Jr., The Effect of Liberalization and Deregulation on Life Insurer Efficiency [M.S. thesis], Georgia State University, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 1999.
- Central Insurance of IR Iran, Statistical Year Book 2009-2010, Central Insurance of IR Iran, Tehran, Iran.
- J. D. Cummins, G. Turchetti, and M. A. Weiss, “Productivity and technical. Productivity and technical efficiency in the Italian insurance industry,” Working Paper 96-10, Wharton School, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1996.
- H. Fukuyama, “Investigating productive efficiency and productivity changes of Japanese life insurance companies,” Pacific Basin Finance Journal, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 481–509, 1997.
- J. D. Cummins, M. A. Weiss, and H. Zi, “Organizational form and efficiency: the coexistence of stock and mutual property-liability insurers,” Management Science, vol. 45, no. 9, pp. 1254–1269, 1999.
- B. Mahlberg and T. Url, “The transition to the single market in the German insurance industry,” Working Paper, Austrian Institute of Economic Research, 2000.
- A. G. Noulas, T. Hatzigayios, J. Lazaridis, and K. Lyroudi, “Non-parametric production frontier approach to the study of efficiency of non-life insurance companies in Greece,” Journal of Financial Management and Analysis, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 19–26, 2001.
- B. Mahlberg and T. Url, “Effects of the single market on the Austrian insurance industry,” Empirical Economics, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 813–838, 2003.
- K. C. Ennsfellner, D. Lewis, and R. I. Anderson, “Production efficiency in the Austrian insurance industry: a Bayesian examination,” Journal of Risk and Insurance, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 135–159, 2004.
- C. P. Barros, N. Barroso, and M. R. Borges, “Evaluating the efficiency and productivity of insurance companies with a malmquist index: a case study for Portugal,” Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 244–267, 2005.
- O. Badunenko, B. Grechanyuk, and O. Talavera, “Development under regulation: the way of the Ukrainian insurance market,” Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, Berlin, Germany, 2006.
- C. P. Barros, A. Ibiwoye, and S. Managi, “Productivity change of Nigerian insurance companies: 1994–2005,” African Development Review, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 505–528, 2008.
- C. P. Barros, M. Nektarios, and A. Assaf, “Efficiency in the Greek insurance industry,” European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 205, no. 2, pp. 431–436, 2010.
- D. Stalb and L. Bevere, World Insurance in 2010, Swiss Reinsurance, 2011.
- R. W. Shephard, Theory of Cost and Production Functions, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, USA, 1970.
- A. Charnes, W. W. Cooper, A. Y. Lewin, and L. M. Seiford, Data Envelopment Analysis: Theory, Methodology and Applications, Kluwer Academic, New York, NY, USA, 1995.
- J. D. Cummins and M. A. Weiss, “Analyzing firm performance in the insurance industry using frontier efficiency methods,” Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania, 1998.
- D. Deprins, L. Simar, and H. Tulkens, “Measuring labor-efficiency in post offices,” in The Performance of Public Enterprises: Concepts and Measurement, pp. 243–268, Elsevier Science, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1984.
- J. D. Cummins and H. Zi, “Comparison of frontier efficiency methods: an application to the U.S. life insurance industry,” Journal of Productivity Analysis, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 131–152, 1998.
- A. Charnes, W. W. Cooper, and E. Rhodes, “Measuring the efficiency of decision making units,” European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 429–444, 1978.
- S. T. Cooper and E. Cohn, “Estimation of a frontier production function for the South Carolina educational process,” Economics of Education Review, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 313–327, 1997.
- D. Bertsimas and M. Sim, “Robust discrete optimization and network flows,” Mathematical Programming B, vol. 98, no. 1–3, pp. 49–71, 2003.
- M. A. Shafiaa, M. Aghaeeb, and A. Jamilia, “A new mathematical model for the job shop scheduling problem with uncertain processing times,” International Journal of Industrial Engineering Computations, vol. 2, pp. 295–306, 2010.
- A. Soyster, “Convex programming with set-inclusive constraints and applications to inexact linear programming,” Operations Research, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 1154–1157, 1973.
- A. Ben-Tal and A. Nemirovski, “Robust solutions of linear programming problems contaminated with uncertain data,” Mathematical Programming B, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 411–424, 2000.
- M. Gharakhani, I. Kazemi, and H. Alizadeh Haji, “A robust DEA model for measuring the relative efficiency of Iranian high schools,” Management Science Letter, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 389–404, 2011.
- J. A. Hanley, A. Negassa, M. D. D. B. Edwardes, and J. E. Forrester, “Statistical analysis of correlated data using generalized estimating equations: an orientation,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 157, no. 4, pp. 364–375, 2003.
- K. Y. Liang and S. L. Zeger, “Longitudinal data analysis using generalized linear models,” Biometrika, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 13–22, 1986.
- M. Eling and M. Luhnen, “Frontier efficiency methodologies to measure performance in the insurance industry: overview and new empirical evidence,” University of St. Gallen Working Papers on Risk Management and Insurance Paper 56, 2008.
- P. L. Brockett, W. W. Cooper, L. L. Golden, J. J. Rousseau, and Y. Wang, “Financial intermediary versus production approach to efficiency of marketing distribution systems and organizational structure of insurance companies,” Journal of Risk and Insurance, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 393–412, 2005.
- A. N. Berger and D. B. Humphrey, “Measurement and efficiency issues in commercial banking,” in Output Measurement in the Service Sectors, pp. 245–300, University of Chicago Press, Chicago, Ill, USA, 1992.
- J. T. Leverty and M. F. Grace, “The robustness of output measures in property-liability insurance efficiency studies,” Journal of Banking and Finance, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 1510–1524, 2010.
- T. J. Coelli, P. Rao, and G. E. Battese, An Introduction to Efficiency and Productivity Analysis, Kluwer Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1998.
- O. E. Williamson, “The new institutional economics: taking stock, looking ahead,” Journal of Economic Literature, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 595–613, 2000.