- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Mathematical Problems in Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 546364, 18 pages
Chaos in a Magnetic Pendulum Subjected to Tilted Excitation and Parametric Damping
1Center for Nonlinear Dynamics and Control, Department of Mechanical Engineering,
Villanova University, 800 Lancaster Avenue, Villanova, PA 19085, USA
2Laboratory of Mechanics, University Hassan II, Casablanca, Morocco
Received 18 May 2012; Revised 3 August 2012; Accepted 3 August 2012
Academic Editor: Stefano Lenci
Copyright © 2012 C. A. Kitio Kwuimy et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. K. De and N. R. Aluru, “Complex oscillations and chaos in electrostatic microelectromechanical systems under superharmonic excitations,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 94, no. 20, 4 pages, 2005.
- B. E. DeMartini, H. E. Butterfield, J. Moehlis, and K. L. Turner, “Chaos for a microelectromechanical oscillator governed by the nonlinear mathieu equation,” Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 1314–1323, 2007.
- H. M. Ouakad and M. I. Younis, “The dynamic behavior of MEMS arch resonators actuated electrically,” International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, vol. 45, no. 7, pp. 704–713, 2010.
- I. Eker, “Experimental on-line identification of an electromechanical system,” ISA Transactions, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 13–22, 2004.
- C. A. K. Kwuimy and P. Woafo, “Dynamics, chaos and synchronization of self-sustained electromechanical systems with clamped-free flexible arm,” Nonlinear Dynamics, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 201–213, 2008.
- C. A. Kitio Kwuimy, B. Nana, and P. Woafo, “Experimental bifurcations and chaos in a modified self-sustained macro electromechanical system,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 329, no. 15, pp. 3137–3148, 2010.
- A. H. Nayfeh and D. T. Mook, Nonlinear Oscillations, Wiley-Interscience, New York, NY, USA, 1979.
- B. R. Nana Nbendjo and P. Woafo, “Active control with delay of horseshoes chaos using piezoelectric absorber on a buckled beam under parametric excitation,” Chaos, Solitons & Fractals, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 73–79, 2007.
- A. O. Belyakov, A. P. Seyranian, and A. Luongo, “Dynamics of the pendulum with periodically varying length,” Physica D, vol. 238, no. 16, pp. 1589–1597, 2009.
- G. Litak, M. Wiercigroch, B. W. Horton, and X. Xu, “Transient chaotic behaviour versus periodic motion of a parametric pendulum by recurrence plots,” ZAMM Zeitschrift für Angewandte Mathematik und Mechanik, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 33–41, 2010.
- C. Hayashi, Nonlinear Oscillations in Physical Systems, McGraw-Hill Electrical and Electronic Engineering Series, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1964.
- A. Oksasoglu and D. Vavriv, “Interaction of low- and high-frequency oscillations in a nonlinear RLC circuit,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 669–672, 1994.
- B. Nana and P. Woafo, “Synchronization in a ring of four mutually coupled van der Pol oscillators: theory and experiment,” Physical Review E, vol. 74, no. 4, Article ID 046213, 8 pages, 2006.
- S. Wiggins, Introduction to Applied Nonlinear Dynamical Systems and Chaos, vol. 2 of Texts in Applied Mathematics, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1990.
- O. Diallo and Y. Koné, “Melnikov analysis of chaos in a general epidemiological model,” Nonlinear Analysis: Real World Applications, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 20–26, 2007.
- Z. Zhang, J. Peng, and J. Zhang, “Melnikov method to a bacteria-immunity model with bacterial quorum sensing mechanism,” Chaos, Solitons & Fractals, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 414–420, 2009.
- G. Cicogna and F. Papoff, “Asymmetric duffing equation and the appearance of chaos,” Europhysics Letters, vol. 3, no. 9, pp. 963–967, 1978.
- S. Lenci and G. Rega, “Global optimal control and system-dependent solutions in the hardening Helmholtz-Duffing oscillator,” Chaos, Solitons & Fractals, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 1031–1046, 2004.
- G. Litak, A. Syta, and M. Borowiec, “Suppression of chaos by weak resonant excitations in a non-linear oscillator with a non-symmetric potential,” Chaos, Solitons & Fractals, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 694–701, 2007.
- H. Cao, J. M. Seoane, and M. A. F. Sanjuán, “Symmetry-breaking analysis for the general Helmholtz-Duffing oscillator,” Chaos, Solitons & Fractals, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 197–212, 2007.
- B. P. Mann, “Energy criterion for potential well escapes in a bistable magnetic pendulum,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 323, no. 3–5, pp. 864–876, 2009.
- J. J. Thomsen, “Effective properties of mechanical systems under high-frequency excitation at multiple frequencies,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 311, no. 3–5, pp. 1249–1270, 2008.
- M. V. Bartuccelli, G. Gentile, and K. V. Georgiou, “On the dynamics of a vertically driven damped planar pendulum,” The Royal Society of London. Proceedings. Series A, vol. 457, no. 2016, pp. 3007–3022, 2001.
- J. M. Schmitt and P. V. Bayly, “Bifurcations in the mean angle of a horizontally shaken pendulum: analysis and experiment,” Nonlinear Dynamics, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 1–14, 1998.
- H. Yabuno, M. Miura, and N. Aoshima, “Bifurcation in an inverted pendulum with tilted high-frequency excitation: analytical and experimental investigations on the symmetry-breaking of the bifurcation,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 273, no. 3, pp. 493–513, 2004.
- B. P. Mann and M. A. Koplow, “Symmetry breaking bifurcations of a parametrically excited pendulum,” Nonlinear Dynamics, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 427–437, 2006.
- M. Belhaq and S. Mohamed Sah, “Fast parametrically excited van der Pol oscillator with time delay state feedback,” International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 124–130, 2008.
- S. Sah and M. Belhaq, “Effect of vertical high-frequency parametric excitation on self-excited motion in a delayed van der Pol oscillator,” Chaos, Solitons & Fractals, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 1489–1496, 2008.
- A. Fidlin and J. Juel Thomsen, “Non-trivial effects of high-frequency excitation for strongly damped mechanical systems,” International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 569–578, 2008.
- F. C. Moon, J. Cusumano, and P. J. Holmes, “Evidence for homoclinic orbits as a precursor to chaos in a magnetic pendulum,” Physica D, vol. 24, no. 1–3, pp. 383–390, 1987.
- Y. Kraftmakher, “Experiments with a magnetically controlled pendulum,” European Journal of Physics, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 1007–1020, 2007.
- S. M. Sah and M. Belhaq, “Control of a delayed limit cycle using the tilt angle of a fast excitation,” Journal of Vibration and Control, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 175–182, 2011.
- I. S. Gradstein and I. M. Rjikhik, Table of Integrals, Series and Products, Nauka, Moscow, Russia, 1971.