- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Mathematical Problems in Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 613939, 29 pages
Mixed Signature: An Invariant Descriptor for 3D Motion Trajectory Perception and Recognition
1Department of MEEM, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
2Department of PMPI, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei 230027, China
3Department of MEEM, USTC-CityU Joint Advanced Research Centre, Suzhou 215123, China
4Department of CS, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei 230027, China
5Department of Mathematics, University of Salerno, Via Ponte Don Melillo, 84084 Fisciano (SA), Italy
6Department of Mathematics, Sapienza University of Rome, P.le A. Moro 2, 00185 Rome, Italy
Received 30 March 2011; Accepted 27 April 2011
Academic Editor: Shengyong Chen
Copyright © 2012 Jianyu Yang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Psarrou, S. Gong, and M. Walter, “Recognition of human gestures and behaviour based on motion trajectories,” Image and Vision Computing, vol. 20, no. 5-6, pp. 349–358, 2002.
- A. Billard and R. Siegwart, “Robot learning from demonstration,” Robotics and Autonomous Systems, vol. 47, no. 2-3, pp. 65–67, 2004.
- K. Vloker, L. H. Dennis, B. Sanmohan, U. Ales, and K. Danica, “Learning actions from observations,” IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 30–43, 2010.
- K. K. Lee, M. Yu, and Y. Xu, “Modeling of human walking trajectories for surveillance,” in IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, vol. 2, pp. 1554–1559, 2003.
- J. Martin, D. Hall, and J. L. Crowley, “Statistical gesture recognition through modeling of parameter trajectories,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 1739, pp. 129–140, 1999.
- E. Bribiesca, “A chain code for representing 3D curves,” Pattern Recognition, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 755–765, 2000.
- S. Berretti, A. D. Bimbo, and P. Pala, “Retrieval by shape similarity with perceptual distance and effective indexing,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 225–239, 2000.
- A. Masood, “Optimized polygonal approximation by dominant point deletion,” Pattern Recognition, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 227–239, 2008.
- V. V. Kindratenko, “On using functions to describe the shape,” Journal of Mathematical Imaging and Vision, vol. 18, no. 33, pp. 225–245, 2003.
- M. J. Black and A. D. Jepson, “A probabilistic framework for matching temporal trajectories: condensation-based recognition of gestures and expressions,” in Proceedings of the European Conference on Computer Vision, vol. 1, pp. 909–924, Freiburg, Germany, 1998.
- F. S. Cohen, Z. Huang, and Z. Yang, “Invariant matching and identification of curves using B-splines curve representation,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 1995.
- S. Y. Chen and Q. Guan, “Parametric shape representation by a deformable NURBS model for cardiac functional measurements,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 480–487, 2011.
- M. C. Shin, L. V. Tsap, and D. B. Goldgof, “Gesture recognition using Bezier curves for visualization navigation from registered 3-D data,” Pattern Recognition, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 1011–1024, 2004.
- P. R. G. Harding and T. J. Ellis, “Recognizing hand gesture using Fourier descriptors,” in Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR '04), pp. 286–289, August 2004.
- G. C. H. Chuang and C. C. J. Kuo, “Wavelet descriptor of planar curves: theory and applications,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 56–70, 1996.
- C. Cattani, “Shannon wavelets for the solution of integrodifferential equations,” Mathematical Problems in Engineering, vol. 2010, Article ID 408418, 22 pages, 2010.
- S. Tabbone, L. Wendling, and J. P. Salmon, “A new shape descriptor defined on the Radon transform,” Computer Vision and Image Understanding, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 42–51, 2006.
- I. Weiss, “Geometric invariants and object recognition,” International Journal of Computer Vision, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 207–231, 1993.
- D. Forsyth, J. L. Mundy, A. Zisserman, and C. M. Brown, “Projectively invariant representations using implicit algebraic curves,” Image and Vision Computing, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 130–136, 1991.
- S. Manay, D. Cremers, B. W. Hong, A. J. Yezzi, and S. Soatto, “Integral invariants for shape matching,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 1602–1617, 2006.
- S. Y. Chen, J. Zhang, Q. Guan, and S. Liu, “Detection and amendment of shape distortions based on moment invariants for active shape models,” IET Image Processing, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 273–285, 2011.
- Y. Caspi, D. Simakov, and M. Irani, “Feature-based sequence-to-sequence matching,” International Journal of Computer Vision, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 53–64, 2006.
- S. Y. Chen, H. Tong, Z. Wang, S. Liu, M. Li, and B. Zhang, “Improved generalized belief propagation for vision processing,” Mathematical Problems in Engineering, vol. 2011, Article ID 416963, 12 pages, 2011.
- M. Scalia, G. Mattioli, and C. Cattani, “Analysis of large-amplitude pulses in short time intervals: application to neuron interactions,” Mathematical Problems in Engineering, vol. 2010, Article ID 895785, 15 pages, 2010.
- M. Li, W. Zhao, and S. Chen, “MBm-based scalings of traffic propagated in internet,” Mathematical Problems in Engineering, vol. 2011, Article ID 389803, p. 21, 2011.
- K. Ogawara, Y. Tanabe, R. Kurazume, and T. Hasegawa, “Detecting repeated motion patterns via dynamic programming using motion density,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1743–1749, 2009.
- A. Prati, S. Calderara, and R. Cucchiara, “Using circular statistics for trajectory shape analysis,” in Proceedings of the 26th IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR '08), June 2008.
- D. R. Faria and J. Dias, “3D hand trajectory segmentation by curvatures and hand orientation for classification through a probabilistic approach,” in Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS '09), pp. 1284–1289, December 2009.
- E. Ribnick and N. Papanikolopoulos, “View-invariant analysis of periodic motion,” in Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS '09), pp. 1903–1908, October 2009.
- J. Sun, X. Wu, S. Yan, L. -F. Cheong, T. -S. Chua, and J. Li, “Hierarchical spatio-temporal context modeling for action recognition,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Workshops (CVPR '09), pp. 2004–2011, 2009.
- S. D. Wu and Y. F. Li, “Flexible signature descriptions for adaptive motion trajectory representation, perception and recognition,” Pattern Recognition, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 194–214, 2009.
- J. Y. Yang, Y. F. Li, and K. Y. Wang, “Mixed signature descriptor with global invariants for 3D motion trajectory perception and recognition,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management, pp. 1952–1956, 2010.
- S. Wu and Y. F. Li, “On signature invariants for effective motion trajectory recognition,” International Journal of Robotics Research, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 895–917, 2008.
- UCI KDD ASL Archive, http://kdd.ics.uci.edu/databases/auslan2/auslan.html.
- E. Calabi, P. J. Olver, C. Shakiban, A. Tannenbaum, and S. Haker, “Differential and numerically invariant signature curves applied to object recognition,” International Journal of Computer Vision, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 107–135, 1998.
- L. R. Rabiner and B. H. Huang, Fundamentals of Speech Recognition, Prentice Hall, 1993.
- M. Munich and P. Perona, “Continuous dynamic time warping for translation-invariant curve alignment with applications to signature verification,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, vol. 1, pp. 108–115, 1999.
- R. E. Kalman, “A new approach to linear filtering and prediction problems,” Transaction of ASME, Journal of Basic Engineering, vol. 82, pp. 35–45, 1960.
- S. Chen, J. Zhang, H. Zhang et al., “Myocardial motion analysis for determination of tei-index of human heart,” Sensors, vol. 10, no. 12, pp. 11428–11439, 2010.