- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Mathematical Problems in Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 695757, 18 pages
Scheduling Parallel Jobs Using Migration and Consolidation in the Cloud
System Simulation Lab, Mechatronics and Atuomation School, National University of Defense Technology, Hunan Province, Changsha, 410073, China
Received 27 February 2012; Revised 26 June 2012; Accepted 5 July 2012
Academic Editor: Rubén Ruiz García
Copyright © 2012 Xiaocheng Liu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Iosup, S. Ostermann, N. Yigitbasi, R. Prodan, T. Fahringer, and D. Epema, “Performance analysis of cloud computing services for many-tasks scientific computing,” IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 931–945, 2011.
- A. W. Malik, A. Park, and R. M. Fujimoto, “Optimistic synchronization of parallel simulations in cloud computing environments,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD '09), pp. 49–56, September 2009.
- R. Fujimoto, A. Malik, and A. Park, “Parallel and distributed simulation in the cloud,” Simulation Magazine, Society for Modeling and Simulation, no. 3, 2010.
- G. D'Angelo, “Parallel and distributed simulation from many cores to the public cloud,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on High Performance Computing and Simulation (HPCS '11), pp. 14–23, IEEE, Istanbul, Turkey, 2011.
- Amazon, “High performance computing (HPC) on AWS,” 2011, http://aws.amazon.com/hpc-applications/.
- A. Do, J. Chen, C. Wang, Y. Lee, A. Zomaya, and B. Zhou, “Profiling applications for virtual machine placement in clouds,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD '11), pp. 660–667, Washington, DC, USA, July 2011.
- L. A. Barroso and U. Hölzle, “The case for energy-proportional computing,” Computer, vol. 40, no. 12, pp. 33–37, 2007.
- U. Schwiegelshohn and R. Yahyapour, “Fairness in parallel job scheduling,” Journal of Scheduling, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 297–320, 2000.
- Y. Zhang, H. Franke, J. Moreira, and A. Sivasubramaniam, “An integrated approach to parallel scheduling using gang-scheduling, backfilling, and migration,” IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 236–247, 2003.
- J. Bruno, E. G. Coffman, Jr., and R. Sethi, “Scheduling independent tasks to reduce mean finishing time,” Communications of the Association for Computing Machinery, vol. 17, pp. 382–387, 1974.
- J. Du and J. Y.-T. Leung, “Complexity of scheduling parallel task systems,” SIAM Journal on Discrete Mathematics, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 473–487, 1989.
- Y. Etsion and D. Tsafrir, “A short survey of commercial cluster batch sched-ulers,” Tech. Rep. 2005-13, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 2005.
- U. Schwiegelshohn and R. Yahyapour, “Analysis of first-come-first-serve parallel job scheduling,” in Proceedings of the 9th Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, pp. 629–638, Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, New York, NY, USA, 1998.
- A. W. Mu'alem and D. G. Feitelson, “Utilization, predictability, workloads, and user runtime estimates in scheduling the IBM SP2 with backfilling,” IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 529–543, 2001.
- D. Lifka, “The anl/ibm sp scheduling system,” in Job Scheduling Strategies for Parallel Processing, pp. 295–303, Springer, 1995.
- D. Tsafrir, Y. Etsion, and D. G. Feitelson, “Backfilling using system-generated predictions rather than user runtime estimates,” IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 789–803, 2007.
- C. McCann, R. Vaswani, and J. Zahorjan, “Dynamic processor allocation policy for multiprogrammed shared-memory multiprocessors,” ACM Transactions on Computer Systems, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 146–178, 1993.
- D. Feitelson and M. Jettee, “Improved utilization and responsiveness with gang scheduling,” in Job Scheduling Strategies for Parallel Processing, pp. 238–261, Springer, 1997.
- N. Stone, J. Kochmar, R. Reddy, J. Scott, J. Sommerfield, and C. Vizino, “A checkpoint and recovery system for the pittsburgh supercomputing center terascale computing system,” Tech. Rep. CMU-PSC-TR-2001-0002, Pittsburgh Supercomputer Center, 2001.
- Platform Computing, “Platform lsf,” 2011, http://www.platform.com/products/LSFfamily/.
- S. Kannan, M. Roberts, P. Mayes, D. Brelsford, and J. F. Skovira, Workload Management with Loadleveler, IBM, 1st edition, 2001.
- V. Systems, Portable Batch System, Administrator Guide, OpenPBS Release 2.3, 2000.
- E. Mascarenhas, F. Knop, R. Pasquini, and V. Rego, “Checkpoint and recovery methods in the PARASOL simulation system,” in Proceedings of the 29th Winter Simulation Conference, pp. 452–459, IEEE Computer Society, December 1997.
- S. Srikantaiah, A. Kansal, and F. Zhao, “Energy aware consolidation for cloud computing,” in Proceedings of the Conference on Power Aware Computing and Systems, p. 10, USENIX Association, 2008.
- Y. C. Lee and A. Y. Zomaya, “Energy efficient utilization of resources in cloud computing systems,” Journal of Supercomputing, pp. 1–13, 2010.
- Y. Lin, “Parallelism analyzers for parallel discrete event simulation,” ACM Transactions on Modeling and Computer Simulation, vol. 2, pp. 239–264, 1992.
- X. C. Liu, C. Wang, X. G. Qiu, B. B. Zhou, B. Chen, and A. Y. Zomaya, “Backfilling under two-tier virtual machines,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Cluster Computing (Cluster '12), IEEE, 2012.
- D. Feitelson, “Packing schemes for gang scheduling,” in Job Scheduling Strategies for Parallel Processing, pp. 89–110, Springer, 1996.
- J. Jann, P. Pattnaik, H. Franke, F. Wang, J. Skovira, and J. Riordan, “Modeling of workload in mpps,” in Job Scheduling Strategies for Parallel Processing, pp. 95–116, Springer, 1997.
- D. Tsafrir, Y. Etsion, and D. Feitelson, “Modeling user runtime estimates,” in Job Scheduling Strategies for Parallel Processing, pp. 1–35, Springer, 2005.
- D. Tsafrir, “A model/utility to generate user runtime estimates and append them to a standard workload file,” 2006, http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/labs/parallel/workload/m_tsafrir05/.
- “Parallel workload models,” 2005, http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/labs/parallel/workload/models.html.
- D. Feitelson, L. Rudolph, U. Schwiegelshohn, K. Sevcik, and P. Wong, “Theory and practice in parallel job scheduling,” in Job Scheduling Strategies for Parallel Processing, pp. 1–34, Springer, 1994.
- R. Jain, The Art of Computer Systems Performance Analysis, Wiley & Sons, 1991.