- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Mathematical Problems in Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 704989, 14 pages
Suitable Environmental Flow Release Criteria for Both Human and Riverine Ecosystems: Accounting for the Uncertainty of Flows
State Key Laboratory of Water Environment Simulation, School of Environment, Beijing Normal University, Beijing 100875, China
Received 16 November 2012; Accepted 11 December 2012
Academic Editor: Yongping Li
Copyright © 2012 Jian Tang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. E. Petts, “Instream flow science for sustainable river management,” Journal of the American Water Resources Association, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 1071–1086, 2009.
- R. A. Wurbs, “Modeling river/reservoir system management, water allocation, and supply reliability,” Journal of Hydrology, vol. 300, no. 1–4, pp. 100–113, 2005.
- B. Rajagopalan, K. Nowak, J. Prairie et al., “Water supply risk on the Colorado River: can management mitigate?” Water Resources Research, vol. 45, no. 8, Article ID W08201, 2009.
- X. A. Yin and Z. F. Yang, “Development of a coupled reservoir operation and water diversion model: balancing human and environmental flow requirements,” Ecological Modelling, vol. 222, no. 2, pp. 224–231, 2011.
- S. K. Jain, “Assessment of environmental flow requirements,” Hydrological Processes, vol. 26, no. 22, pp. 3472–3476, 2012.
- M. A. Palmer, C. A. Reidy Liermann, C. Nilsson et al., “Climate change and the world's river basins: anticipating management options,” Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 81–89, 2008.
- P. B. McIntyre, S. Glidden, S. E. Bunn, C. A. Sullivan, C. R. Liermann, and P. M. Davies, “Global threats to human water security and river biodiversity,” Nature, vol. 467, no. 7315, pp. 555–561, 2010.
- K. H. Bowmer, “Water resource protection in Australia: links between land use and river health with a focus on stubble farming systems,” Journal of Hydrology, vol. 403, no. 1-2, pp. 176–185, 2011.
- R. M. Vogel, J. Sieber, S. A. Archfield, M. P. Smith, C. D. Apse, and A. Huber-Lee, “Relations among storage, yield, and instream flow,” Water Resources Research, vol. 43, no. 5, Article ID W05403, 2007.
- Z. F. Yang, T. Sun, B. S. Cui, B. Chen, and G. Q. Chen, “Environmental flow requirements for integrated water resources allocation in the Yellow River Basin, China,” Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 2469–2481, 2009.
- X.-A. Yin, Z.-F. Yang, and G. E. Petts, “Reservoir operating rules to sustain environmental flows in regulated rivers,” Water Resources Research, vol. 47, no. 8, Article ID 7206, 2011.
- N.-S. Hsu, C.-H. Chiang, W.-M. Cheng, and C.-C. Wei, “Study on the trade-off between ecological base flow and optimized water supply,” Water Resources Management, vol. 26, no. 11, pp. 3095–3112, 2012.
- M. R. Su, Z. F. Yang, G. Y. Liu, and B. Chen, “Ecosystem health assessment and regulation for urban ecosystems: a case study of the yangtze river delta urban cluster, China,” Journal of Environmental Informatics, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 65–74, 2011.
- C. Zheng, W. Yang, and Z. F. Yang, “Strategies for managing environmental flows based on the spatial distribution of water quality: a case study of Baiyangdian Lake, China,” Journal of Environmental Informatics, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 84–90, 2011.
- L. Jing and B. Chen, “Field investigation and hydrological modelling of a subarctic wetland-the Deer River watershed,” Journal of Environmental Informatics, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 36–45, 2011.
- M. C. Acreman and A. J. D. Ferguson, “Environmental flows and the European Water Framework Directive,” Freshwater Biology, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 32–48, 2010.
- B. D. Richter, “A method for assessing hydrologic alteration within ecosystems,” Conservation Biology, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 1163–1174, 1996.
- B. D. Richter, J. V. Baumgartner, R. Wigington, and D. P. Braun, “How much water does a river need?” Freshwater Biology, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 231–249, 1997.
- M. J. Kennard, B. J. Pusey, J. D. Olden, S. J. MacKay, J. L. Stein, and N. Marsh, “Classification of natural flow regimes in Australia to support environmental flow management,” Freshwater Biology, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 171–193, 2010.
- D. L. Tennant, “Instream flow regimens for fish, wildlife, recreation and related environmental resources,” Fisheries, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 6–10, 1976.
- K. D. Bovee, B. L. Lamb, J. M. Bartholow, C. B. Stalnaker, J. G. Taylor, and J. Henriksen, Stream Habitat Analysis Using the Instream Flow Incremental Methodology, US. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1998.
- N. L. Poff, B. D. Richter, A. H. Arthington et al., “The ecological limits of hydrologic alteration (ELOHA): a new framework for developing regional environmental flow standards,” Freshwater Biology, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 147–170, 2010.
- O. T. Gorman and J. R. Karr, “Habitat structure and stream fish communities,” Ecology, vol. 59, pp. 507–515, 1978.
- N. L. Poff and J. V. Ward, “Physical habitat template of lotic systems: recovery in the context of historical pattern of spatiotemporal heterogeneity,” Environmental Management, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 629–646, 1990.
- D. A. Lytle and N. L. Poff, “Adaptation to natural flow regimes,” Trends in Ecology and Evolution, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 94–100, 2004.
- A. H. Arthington, S. E. Bunn, N. L. Poff, and R. J. Naiman, “The challenge of providing environmental flow rules to sustain river ecosystems,” Ecological Applications, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 1311–1318, 2006.
- N. L. Poff and J. K. H. Zimmerman, “Ecological responses to altered flow regimes: a literature review to inform the science and management of environmental flows,” Freshwater Biology, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 194–205, 2010.
- S. Postel and B. Richter, Rivers for Life: Managing Water for People and Nature, Island Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2003.
- A. F. Casper, B. Dixon, J. Earls, and J. A. Gore, “Linking a spatially explicit watershed model (SWAT) with an in-stream fish habitat model (PHABSIM): a case study of setting minimum flows and levels in a low gradient, sub-tropical river,” River Research and Applications, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 269–282, 2011.
- J. T. Shiau and F. C. Wu, “Feasible diversion and instream flow release using range of variability approach,” Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, vol. 130, no. 5, pp. 395–404, 2004.
- J. T. Shiau and F. C. Wu, “Compromise programming methodology for determining instream flow under multiobjective water allocation criteria,” Journal of the American Water Resources Association, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 1179–1191, 2006.
- J. W. Labadie, “Optimal operation of multireservoir systems: state-of-the-art review,” Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, vol. 130, no. 2, pp. 93–111, 2004.
- N. K. Ajami, G. M. Hornberger, and D. L. Sunding, “Sustainable water resource management under hydrological uncertainty,” Water Resources Research, vol. 44, no. 11, Article ID W11406, 2008.
- Y. P. Li and G. H. Huang, “Fuzzy-stochastic-based violation analysis method for planning water resources management systems with uncertain information,” Information Sciences, vol. 179, no. 24, pp. 4261–4276, 2009.
- Y. P. Li, G. H. Huang, Y. F. Huang, and H. D. Zhou, “A multistage fuzzy-stochastic programming model for supporting sustainable water-resources allocation and management,” Environmental Modelling and Software, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 786–797, 2009.
- Y. P. Li, G. H. Huang, and S. L. Nie, “Planning water resources management systems using a fuzzy-boundary interval-stochastic programming method,” Advances in Water Resources, vol. 33, no. 9, pp. 1105–1117, 2010.
- Y. P. Li and G. H. Huang, “Inexact joint-probabilistic stochastic programming for water resources management under uncertainty,” Engineering Optimization, vol. 42, no. 11, pp. 1023–1037, 2010.
- Y. P. Li, G. H. Huang, S. L. Nie, and X. Chen, “A robust modeling approach for regional water management under multiple uncertainties,” Agricultural Water Management, vol. 98, no. 10, pp. 1577–1588, 2011.
- M. Q. Suo, Y. P. Li, and G. H. Huang, “An inventory-theory-based interval-parameter two-stage stochastic programming model for water resources management,” Engineering Optimization, vol. 43, no. 9, pp. 999–1018, 2011.
- Y. O. Kim, H. I. Eum, E. G. Lee, and I. H. Ko, “Optimizing operational policies of a Korean multireservoir system using sampling stochastic dynamic programming with ensemble streamflow prediction,” Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, vol. 133, no. 1, pp. 4–14, 2007.
- M. J. Kennard, S. J. Mackay, B. J. Pusey, J. D. Olden, and N. Marsh, “Quantifying uncertainty in estimation of hydrologic metrics for ecohydrological studies,” River Research and Applications, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 137–156, 2010.
- J. T. Shiau and F. C. Wu, “A histogram matching approach for assessment of flow regime alteration: application to environmental flow optimization,” River Research and Applications, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 914–928, 2008.
- H. Liu, C. Jiang, and Y. Zhang, “Portfolio management of hydropower producer via stochastic programming,” Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 50, no. 10, pp. 2593–2599, 2009.
- K. Høyland and S. W. Wallace, “Generating scenario trees for multistage decision problems,” Management Science, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 295–307, 2001.
- D. W. Watkins Jr., D. C. McKinney, L. S. Lasdon, S. S. Nielsen, and Q. W. Martind, “A scenario-based stochastic programming model for water supplies from the highland lakes,” International Transactions in Operational Research, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 211–230, 2000.
- S. Wang and G. H. Huang, “Identifying optimal water resources allocation strategies through an interactive multi-stage stochastic fuzzy programming approach,” Water Resources Management, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 2015–2038, 2012.
- J. Dupačová, G. Consigli, and S. W. Wallace, “Scenarios for multistage stochastic programs,” Annals of Operations Research, vol. 100, pp. 25–53, 2000.
- H. Brand, E. Thorin, and C. Weber, “Scenario reduction algorithm and creation of multi-stage scenario trees,” Optimization of Cogeneration Systems in a Competitive Market Environment, Discussion Paper no. 7, 2002.
- B. D. Richter, J. V. Baumgartner, D. P. Braun, and J. Powell, “A spatial assessment of hydrologic alteration within a river network,” River Research and Applications, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 329–340, 1998.
- J. T. Shiau and F. C. Wu, “Assessment of hydrologic alterations caused by chi-chi diversion weir in Chou-Shui Creek, Taiwan: opportunities for restoring natural flow conditions,” River Research and Applications, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 401–412, 2004.
- J. T. Shiau and F. C. Wu, “Pareto-optimal solutions for environmental flow schemes incorporating the intra-annual and interannual variability of the natural flow regime,” Water Resources Research, vol. 43, no. 6, Article ID W06433, 2007.
- O. Marinoni, A. Higgins, S. Hajkowicz, and K. Collins, “The multiple criteria analysis tool (MCAT): a new software tool to support environmental investment decision making,” Environmental Modelling and Software, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 153–164, 2009.
- P. Fattahi and S. Fayyaz, “A compromise programming model to integrated urban water management,” Water Resources Management, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 1211–1227, 2010.
- G. E. Petts, Impounded Rivers: Perspectives for Ecological Management, Environmental Monographs and Symposia Series, John Wiley and Sons, Chichester, UK, 1984.