- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Mathematical Problems in Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 713798, 14 pages
Matrix Exponentiation and the Frank-Kamenetskii Equation
Centre for Differential Equations, Continuum Mechanics and Applications, School of Computational and Applied Mathematics, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, Private Bag 3, Wits 2050, South Africa
Received 29 August 2012; Revised 4 November 2012; Accepted 5 November 2012
Academic Editor: Oluwole Daniel Makinde
Copyright © 2012 E. Momoniat. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. A. Frank-Kamenetskii, Diffusion and Heat Transfer in Chemical Kinetics, Plenum Press, New York, NY, USA, 1969.
- C. Harley, “Hopscotch method: the numerical solution of the Frank-Kamenetskii partial differential equation,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 217, no. 8, pp. 4065–4075, 2010.
- D. Britz, J. Strutwolf, and O. Østerby, “Digital simulation of thermal reactions,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 218, no. 4, pp. 1280–1290, 2011.
- E. Balakrishnan, A. Swift, and G. C. Wake, “Critical values for some non-class A geometries in thermal ignition theory,” Mathematical and Computer Modelling, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 1–10, 1996.
- N. W. Bazley and G. C. Wake, “The dependence of criticality on activation energy when reactant consumption is neglected,” Combustion and Flame, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 161–168, 1978.
- C. S. Chen, “The method of fundamental solutions for non-linear thermal explosions,” Communications in Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 675–681, 1995.
- M. Kubíček and V. Hlaváček, “Direct evaluation of branching points for equations arising in the theory of explosions of solid explosives,” Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 17, pp. 79–86, 1975.
- G. Zhang, J. H. Merkin, and S. K. Scott, “Reaction-diffusion model for combustion with fuel consumption. II. Robin boundary conditions,” IMA Journal of Applied Mathematics, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 69–93, 1993.
- O. K. Rice, “The role of heat conduction in thermal gaseous explosions,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 8, no. 9, pp. 727–733, 1940.
- O. K. Rice and H. C. Campbell, “The explosion of ethyl azide in the presence of diethyl ether,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 7, no. 8, pp. 700–709, 1939.
- J. J. Steggerda, “Thermal stability: an extension of Frank-Kamenetsky's theory,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 43, no. 12, pp. 4446–4448, 1965.
- G. Zhang, J. H. Merkin, and S. K. Scott, “Reaction-diffusion model for combustion with fuel consumption. I. Dirichlet boundary conditions,” IMA Journal of Applied Mathematics, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 33–60, 1991.
- M. R. Abd El-Salam and M. H. Shehata, “The numerical solution for reaction-diffusion combustion with fuel consumption,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 160, no. 2, pp. 423–435, 2005.
- P. M. Vanden Bosch, D. C. Dietz, and E. A. Pohl, “Choosing the best approach to matrix exponentiation,” Computers & Operations Research, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 871–882, 1999.
- C. Moler and C. Van Loan, “Nineteen dubious ways to compute the exponential of a matrix, twenty-five years later,” SIAM Review, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 3–49, 2003.
- M. Hochbruck and A. Ostermann, “Exponential integrators,” Acta Numerica, vol. 19, pp. 209–286, 2010.
- Y. Saad, “Analysis of some Krylov subspace approximations to the matrix exponential operator,” SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 209–228, 1992.
- A. Iserles and A. Zanna, “Efficient computation of the matrix exponential by generalized polar decompositions,” SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 2218–2256, 2005.
- R. B. Sidje, “Expokit: a software package for computing Matrix Exponentials,” ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 130–156, 1998.
- H. Berland, B. Skaflestad, and W. M. Wright, “EXPINT-A MATLAB package for exponential integrators,” ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software, vol. 33, pp. 1–17, 2007.
- A. Iserles, A first Course in the Numerical Analysis of Differential Equations, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1996.
- S. Gottlieb, C.-W. Shu, and E. Tadmor, “Strong stability-preserving high-order time discretization methods,” SIAM Review, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 89–112, 2001.
- A.-K. Kassam and L. N. Trefethen, “Fourth-order time-stepping for stiff PDEs,” SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 1214–1233, 2005.
- E. Momoniat, “A thermal explosion in a cylindrical vessel: a non-classical symmetry approach,” International Journal of Modern Physics B, vol. 23, no. 14, pp. 3089–3099, 2009.
- P. L. Chambré, “On the solution of the poisson-boltzmann equation with application to the theory of thermal explosions,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 1795–1797, 1952.
- L. Dresner, “Phase-plane analysis of nonlinear, second-order, ordinary differential equations,” Journal of Mathematical Physics, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 1339–1348, 1971.
- E. Momoniat and C. Harley, “An implicit series solution for a boundary value problem modelling a thermal explosion,” Mathematical and Computer Modelling, vol. 53, no. 1-2, pp. 249–260, 2011.
- M. P. Calvo and C. Palencia, “A class of explicit multistep exponential integrators for semilinear problems,” Numerische Mathematik, vol. 102, no. 3, pp. 367–381, 2006.
- A. Ostermann, M. Thalhammer, and W. M. Wright, “A class of explicit exponential general linear methods,” BIT, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 409–431, 2006.