- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Mathematical Problems in Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 752931, 22 pages
Optimal Design of a Centrifugal Compressor Impeller Using Evolutionary Algorithms
1Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (RECAPT), Gyeongsang National University, 900 Gajwa-dong, Gyeongnam, Jinju 660-701, Republic of Korea
2Department of Eco-Machinery, Korea Institute of Machinery and Materials, 171 Jang-dong, Daejeon 305-343, Republic of Korea
Received 29 May 2012; Revised 7 September 2012; Accepted 7 September 2012
Academic Editor: Gerhard-Wilhelm Weber
Copyright © 2012 Soo-Yong Cho et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. R. Forrest, “Interactive interpolation and approximation by bézier polynomials,” Computer Journal, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 71–79, 1972.
- F. J. Wallace, A. Whitfield, and R. Atkey, “A computer-aided design procedure for radial and mixed flow compressors,” Computer-Aided Design, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 163–170, 1975.
- M. V. Casey, “A computational geometry for the blades and internal flow channels of centrifugal compressors,” Journal of Engineering for Power, vol. 105, no. 2, pp. 288–295, 1983.
- N. A. Cumpsty, Compressor Aerodynamics, Longman Group UK, 1989.
- A. Whitfield and N. C. Baines, Design of Radial Turbomachines, Longman Group UK, 1990.
- R. H. Aungier, Centrifugal Compressor, ASME Press, 2000.
- D. Bonaiuti and V. Pediroda, “Aerodynamic optimization of an industrial centrifugal compressor impeller using genetic algorithms,” in Proceedings of Eurogen, 2001.
- R. Cosentino, Z. Alsalihi, and V. R. A. Braembussche, “Expert system for radial impeller optimization,” in Proceedings of Euroturbo, 2001.
- D. Bonaiuti, A. Arnone, M. Ermini, and L. Baldassarre, “Analysis and optimization of transonic centrifugal compressor impellers using the design of experimental technique,” GT-2002-30619, 2002.
- D. Bonaiuti and M. Zangeneh, “On the coupling of inverse design and optimization techniques for the multiobjective, multipoint design of turbomachinery blades,” Journal of Turbomachinery, vol. 131, no. 2, Article ID 021014, 16 pages, 2009.
- T. Verstraete, Z. Alsalihi, and R. A. Van den, “Multidisciplinary optimization of a radial compressor for microgas turbine applications,” Journal of Turbomachinery, vol. 132, no. 3, Article ID 031004, 7 pages, 2010.
- D. Eckardt, “Instantaneous measurements in the jet-wake discharge flow of a centrifugal compressor impeller,” Journal of Engineering and Power, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 337–346, 1975.
- D. Eckardt, “Detailed flow investigations within a high-speed centrifugal compressor impeller,” Journal of Fluid Engineering, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 390–402, 1976.
- D. Eckardt, “Flowfield analysis of radial and backswept centrifugal compressor impellers—part 1: flow measurements using a laser velocimeter,” in Performance Prediction of Centrifugal Pumps and Compressor, S. Gopalskrishnan and P. Cooper, Eds., ASME, 1980.
- CFX-12, version 12, Ansys Inc, 2009.
- P. Schuster and U. Schmidt-Eisenlohr, “Flowfield analysis of radial and backswept centrifugal compressor impellers—part 2: comparison of potential flow calculations and measurements,” in Performance Prediction of Centrifugal Pumps and Compressor, S. Gopalskrishnan and P. Cooper, Eds., ASME, 1980.
- C. H. Cho, S. Y. Cho, K. Y. Ahn, and Y. C. Kim, “Study of an axial-type fan design technique using an optimization method,” Proceedings IMechE Journal of Process Mechanical Engineering, vol. 223, no. 3, pp. 101–111, 2009.
- Z. Wang, G. Xi, and X. Wang, “Aerodynamics design optimization of vaned diffuser for centrifugal compressors using Kriging model,” in Proceeding of Asian Joint Conference on Propulsion and Power (AJCPP '06), Beijing, China, 2006.
- X. Shu, C. Gu, J. Xiao, and C. Gao, “Centrifugal compressor blade optimization based on uniform design and genetic algorithms,” Frontiers of Energy and Power Engineering in China, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 453–456, 2008.
- H. Y. Fan, “An inverse design method of diffuser blades by genetic algorithms,” Proceedings IMechE Journal of Power and Energy, vol. 212, no. 4, pp. 261–268, 1998.
- E. Benini, “Optimal Navier-Stokes design of Ccompressor impellers using evolutionary computation,” International Journal of Computational Fluid Dynamics, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 357–369, 2003.
- S. Pierret and R. A. Van Den Braembussche, “Turbomachinery blade design using a Navier-Stokes solver and Artificial Neural Network,” Journal of Turbomachinery, vol. 121, no. 2, pp. 326–332, 1999.
- H. Y. Fan, “A neural network approach for centrifugal impeller inverse design,” Proceedings IMechE Journal of Power and Energy, vol. 214, no. 2, pp. 183–186, 2000.
- J. H. Kim, J. H. Choi, A. Husain, and K. Y. Kim, “Multi-objective optimization of a centrifugal compressor impeller through evolutionary algorithms,” Proceedings IMechE Journal of Power and Energy, vol. 224, no. 5, pp. 711–721, 2010.
- M. T. Hagan and M. B. Menhaj, “Training feedforward networks with the Marquardt algorithm,” IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 989–993, 1994.
- M. T. Hagan, H. B. Demuth, and M. H. Beale, Neural Network Design, PWS Publishing, Boston, Mass, USA, 1996.
- H. Demuth, M. Beale, and M. Haga, “Neural Network Toolbox 6, User's Guide,” Matlab R2007b, 2007.