- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Mathematical Problems in Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 769385, 22 pages
Stochastic Inverse Identification of Nonlinear Roll Damping Moment of a Ship Moving at Nonzero-Forward Speeds
Institute of Industrial Science, The University of Tokyo, 4-6-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8505, Japan
Received 1 August 2012; Revised 14 November 2012; Accepted 26 November 2012
Academic Editor: Fatih Yaman
Copyright © 2012 S. L. Han and Takeshi Kinoshita. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. L. Han and T. Kinoshita, “Nonlinear damping identification in nonlinear dynamic system based on stochastic inverse approach,” Mathematical Problems in Engineering, vol. 2012, Article ID 574291, 2012.
- S. L. Han and T. Kinoshita, “Stochastic inverse modeling of nonlinear roll damping moment of a ship,” Applied Ocean Research, vol. 39, pp. 11–19, 2013.
- R. Bhattacharyya, Dynamics of Marine Vehicles, John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1978.
- S. N. Blagoveshchensky, Theory of Ship Motions, vols. I and II, Dover Publications, New York, NY, USA, 1962.
- J. O. De Kat and J. R. Paulling, “The simulation of ship motions and capsizing in severe seas,” Transactions of SNAME, vol. 117, pp. 127–135, 1989.
- A. Zborowski and M. Taylan, “Evaluation of small vessels' roll motion stability reserve for resonance conditions,” in Proceedings of the 14th Ship Technology and Research STAR Symposium 1989 in conjunction with the SNAME Spring Meeting, New Orleans, La, USA, April 1989.
- J. A. Witz, C. B. Ablett, and J. H. Harrison, “Roll response of semisubmersibles with non-linear restoring moment characteristics,” Applied Ocean Research, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 153–166, 1989.
- J. F. Dalzell, “A note on the form of ship roll damping,” Journal of Ship Research, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 178–185, 1978.
- J. B. Roberts, “Estimation of nonlinear ship roll damping from free-decay data,” Journal of Ship Research, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 127–138, 1985.
- J. B. Mathisen and W. G. Price, “Estimation of ship roll damping coefficients,” RINA Transaction, vol. 127, pp. 169–186, 1985.
- D. W. Bass and M. R. Haddara, “Nonlinear models of ship roll damping,” International Shipbuilding Progress, vol. 35, no. 401, pp. 5–24, 1988.
- J. R. Spouge, “Non-linear analysis of large-amplitude rolling experiments,” International Shipbuilding Progress, vol. 35, no. 403, pp. 271–320, 1988.
- H. S. Y. Chan, Z. Xu, and W. L. Huang, “Estimation of nonlinear damping coefficients from large-amplitude ship rolling motions,” Applied Ocean Research, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 217–224, 1995.
- Y. Himeno, “Prediction of ship roll damping—a state of the art,” Tech. Rep. 239, Department of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Abor, Mich, USA, 1981.
- M. Taylan, “The effect of nonlinear damping and restoring in ship rolling,” Ocean Engineering, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 921–932, 2000.
- M. R. Haddara and M. Hinchey, “On the use of neural network techniques in the analysis of free roll decay curves,” International Shipbuilding Progress, vol. 42, pp. 166–178, 1995.
- M. R. Haddara and M. Wishahy, “An investigation of roll characteristics of two full scale ships at sea,” Ocean Engineering, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 651–666, 2002.
- J. B. Roberts and M. Vasta, “Markov modelling and stochastic identification for nonlinear ship rolling in random waves,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, vol. 358, no. 1771, pp. 1917–1941, 2000.
- T. S. Jang, H. S. Choi, and S. L. Han, “A new method for detecting non-linear damping and restoring forces in non-linear oscillation systems from transient data,” International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, vol. 44, no. 7, pp. 801–808, 2009.
- T. S. Jang, J. W. Son, S. L. Han, H. G. Sung, S. K. Lee, and S. C. Shin, “A numerical investigation on nonparametric identification of nonlinear roll damping moment of a ship from transient response,” The Open Ocean Engineering Journal, vol. 3, pp. 100–107, 2010.
- A. Kirsch, An Introduction to the Mathematical Theory of Inverse Problems, vol. 120, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1996.
- C. W. Groetsch, Inverse Problems in the Mathematical Sciences, Informatica International, 1993.
- J. Kaipio and E. Somersalo, Statistical and Computational Inverse Problems, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2005.
- J. Wang and N. Zabaras, “Hierarchical Bayesian models for inverse problems in heat conduction,” Inverse Problems, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 183–206, 2005.
- J. Wang and N. Zabaras, “A Markov random field model of contamination source identification in porous media flow,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 49, no. 5-6, pp. 939–950, 2006.
- C. Andrieu, N. De Freitas, A. Doucet, and M. I. Jordan, “An introduction to MCMC for machine learning,” Machine Learning, vol. 50, no. 1-2, pp. 5–43, 2003.
- M. R. Haddara and S. Zhang, “Effect of forward speed on the roll damping of three small fishing vessels,” Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, vol. 116, no. 2, pp. 102–108, 1994.
- G. Bulian, “Estimation of nonlinear roll decay parameters using an analytical approximate solution of the decay time history,” International Shipbuilding Progress, vol. 51, pp. 5–32, 2004.