- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Mathematical Problems in Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 912603, 20 pages
Towards Online Model Predictive Control on a Programmable Logic Controller: Practical Considerations
1Department of Industrial Engineering, KAHO Sint-Lieven, Gebroeders De Smetstraat 1,
9000 Gent, Belgium
2BioTeC, Department of Chemical Engineering (CIT), KU Leuven, W. de Croylaan 46, 3001 Leuven, Belgium
3SCD, Department of Electrical Engineering (ESAT), KU Leuven, Kasteelpark Arenberg 10, 3001 Leuven, Belgium
Received 10 July 2012; Revised 1 October 2012; Accepted 1 October 2012
Academic Editor: Wei-Chiang Hong
Copyright © 2012 Bart Huyck et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. J. Qin and T. A. Badgwell, “A survey of industrial model predictive control technology,” Control Engineering Practice, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 733–764, 2003.
- U. Mathur, R. D. Rounding, D. R. Webb, and R. J. Conroy, “Use model-predictive control to improve distillation operations,” Chemical Engineering Progress, vol. 104, no. 1, pp. 35–41, 2008.
- J. Maciejowski, Predictive Control with Constraints, Pearson Education Limited, 2002.
- Y. Wang and S. Boyd, “Fast model predictive control using online optimization,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 267–278, 2010.
- L. Van den Broeck, M. Diehl, and J. Swevers, “A model predictive control approach for time optimal point-to-point motion control,” Mechatronics, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 1203–1212, 2011.
- N. Giorgetti, G. Ripaccioli, A. Bemporad, I. V. Kolmanovsky, and D. Hrovat, “Hybrid model predictive control of direct injection stratified charge engines,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 499–506, 2006.
- A. Bemporad, M. Morari, V. Dua, and E. N. Pistikopoulos, “The explicit linear quadratic regulator for constrained systems,” Automatica, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 3–20, 2002.
- P. Tøndel, T. A. Johansen, and A. Bemporad, “An algorithm for multi-parametric quadratic programming and explicit MPC solutions,” Automatica, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 489–497, 2003.
- G. Pannocchia, J. B. Rawlings, and S. J. Wright, “Fast, large-scale model predictive control by partial enumeration,” Automatica, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 852–860, 2007.
- J. R. Wright, “The debate over which PLC programming language is the state-of-the-art,” Journal of Industrial Technology, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 2–5, 2006.
- G. Valencia-Palomo and J. A. Rossiter, “Efficient suboptimal parametric solutions to predictive control for PLC applications,” Control Engineering Practice, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 732–743, 2011.
- M. Kvasnica, I. Rauová, and M. Fikar, “Automatic code generation for real-time implementation of model predictive control,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Computer-Aided Control System Design (CACSD '10), pp. 993–998, September 2010.
- C. Hildreth, “A quadratic programming procedure,” Naval Research Logistics Quarterly, vol. 4, pp. 79–85, 1957.
- H. J. Ferreau, H. G. Bock, and M. Diehl, “An online active set strategy to overcome the limitations of explicit MPC,” International Journal of Robust and Nonlinear Control, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 816–830, 2008.
- T. Soderstrom and P. Stoica, System Identification, Prentice-Hall, London, UK, 1989.
- P. Van Overschee and B. De Moor, Subspace Identification for Linear Systems: Theory, Implementation, Applications, Kluwer Academic, 1996.
- L. Ljung, System Identification: Theory for the User, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA, 2nd edition, 1999.
- C. S. Burrus, R. A. Gopinath, and H. Guo, Introduction to Wavelets and Wavelet Transforms, Prentice-Hall, 1998.
- J. A. Suykens, T. Van Gestel, J. De Brabanter, B. De Moor, and J. Vandewalle, Least Squares Support Vector Machines, World Scientific, Singapore, 2002.
- E. F. Camacho and C. Bordons, Model Predictive Control, Springer, 2003.
- L. Wang, Model Predictive Control System Design and Implementation Using MATLAB, Springer, London, UK, 2009.
- J. Mattingley and S. Boyd, “CVXGEN: a code generator for embedded convex optimization,” Optimization and Engineering, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 1–27, 2012.
- D. G. Luenberger, Optimization by Vector Space Methods, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1969.
- L. Ljung, System Identification Toolbox Users Guide, The MathWorks, Natick, Mass, USA, 2009.
- B. Huyck, F. Logist, J. De Brabanter, J. Van Impe, and B. De Moor, “Constrained model predictive control on a programmable automation system exploiting code generation: practical considerations,” in Proceedings of the 18th World Congress of the International Federation of Automatic Control, pp. 12207–12212, Milano, Italy, 2011.
- A. N. Iusem and A. R. De Pierro, “On the convergence properties of Hildreth's quadratic programming algorithm,” Mathematical Programming, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 37–51, 1990.