- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Mathematical Problems in Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 931092, 13 pages
Solving Packing Problems by a Distributed Global Optimization Algorithm
1Department of Information Management, National Formosa University, Yunlin 632, Taiwan
2Institute of Information Management, National Chiao Tung University, No. 1001, Ta Hsueh Road, Hsinchu 300, Taiwan
3Department of Business Management, National Taipei University of Technology, No. 1, Sec. 3, Chung Hsiao E. Road, Taipei 10608, Taiwan
Received 23 February 2012; Accepted 9 May 2012
Academic Editor: Yi-Chung Hu
Copyright © 2012 Nian-Ze Hu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Egeblad and D. Pisinger, “Heuristic approaches for the two- and three-dimensional knapsack packing problem,” Computers and Operations Research, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 1026–1049, 2009.
- D. Fayard and V. Zissimopoulos, “An approximation algorithm for solving unconstrained two-dimensional knapsack problems,” European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 84, no. 3, pp. 618–632, 1995.
- M. Hifi and R. Ouafi, “Best-first search and dynamic programming methods for cutting problems: the cases of one or more stock plates,” Computers and Industrial Engineering, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 187–205, 1997.
- J. F. Tsai, P. L. Hsieh, and Y. H. Huang, “An optimization algorithm for cutting stock problems in the TFT-LCD industry,” Computers and Industrial Engineering, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 913–919, 2009.
- J. E. Beasley, “An algorithm for the two-dimensional assortment problem,” European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 253–261, 1985.
- H. L. Li and C. T. Chang, “An approximately global optimization method for assortment problems,” European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 105, no. 3, pp. 604–612, 1998.
- J. F. Tsai, P. C. Wang, and M. H. Lin, “An efficient deterministic optimization approach for rectangular packing problems,” Optimization. In press.
- F. H. F. Liu and C. J. Hsiao, “A three-dimensional pallet loading method for single-size boxes,” Journal of the Operational Research Society, vol. 48, no. 7, pp. 726–735, 1997.
- J. Terno, G. Scheithauer, U. Sommerweiß, and J. Riehme, “An efficient approach for the multi-pallet loading problem,” European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 123, no. 2, pp. 372–381, 2000.
- C. S. Chen, S. M. Lee, and Q. S. Shen, “An analytical model for the container loading problem,” European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 68–76, 1995.
- G. Scheithauer, “LP-based bounds for the container and multi-container loading problem,” International Transactions in Operational Research, vol. 6, pp. 199–213, 1999.
- W. B. Dowsland, “Three-dimensional packing-solution approaches and heuristic development,” International Journal of Production Research, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 1673–1685, 1991.
- Y. He, Y. Wu, and R. de Souza, “A global search framework for practical three-dimensional packing with variable carton orientations,” Computers and Operations Research, vol. 39, no. 10, pp. 2395–2414, 2012.
- Y. Wu, W. Li, M. Goh, and R. de Souza, “Three-dimensional bin packing problem with variable bin height,” European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 202, no. 2, pp. 347–355, 2010.
- A. de Almeida and M. B. Figueiredo, “A particular approach for the Three-dimensional Packing Problem with additional constraints,” Computers and Operations Research, vol. 37, no. 11, pp. 1968–1976, 2010.
- F. K. Miyazawa and Y. Wakabayashi, “Three-dimensional packings with rotations,” Computers and Operations Research, vol. 36, no. 10, pp. 2801–2815, 2009.
- T. G. Crainic, G. Perboli, and R. Tadei, “TS2PACK: a two-level tabu search for the three-dimensional bin packing problem,” European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 195, no. 3, pp. 744–760, 2009.
- C. A. Floudas, Deterministic Global Optimization: Theory, Computational Methods and Applications, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dodrecht, The Netherlands, 2000.
- H. L. Li, J. F. Tsai, and N. Z. Hu, “A distributed global optimization method for packing problems,” Journal of the Operational Research Society, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 419–425, 2003.
- J. F. Tsai and H. L. Li, “A global optimization method for packing problems,” Engineering Optimization, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 687–700, 2006.
- G. Wäscher, H. Haußner, and H. Schumann, “An improved typology of cutting and packing problems,” European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 183, no. 3, pp. 1109–1130, 2007.
- B. Bourbeau, T. Gabriel Crainic, and B. Gendron, “Branch-and-bound parallelization strategies applied to a depot location and container fleet management problem,” Parallel Computing, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 27–46, 2000.
- H. Gehring and A. Bortfeldt, “A parallel genetic algorithm for solving the container loading problem,” International Transactions in Operational Research, vol. 9, pp. 497–511, 2002.
- J. Btazewicz and R. Walkowiak, “A new parallel approach for multi-dimensional packing problems,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 2328, pp. 585–591, 2006.
- A. Bortfeldt, H. Gehring, and D. Mack, “A parallel tabu search algorithm for solving the container loading problem,” Parallel Computing, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 641–662, 2003.
- LINDO System, LINGO Release 11.0, LINDO System, Chicago, Ill, USA, 2008.