- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Mathematical Problems in Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 935468, 20 pages
A Review of Soft Techniques for Electromagnetic Assessment of Concrete Condition
1Parque Tecnológico de Belo Horizonte, Rua Professor José Vieira de Mendonça N 770, Salas 406 e 407, Engenho Nogueira, 31310-260 Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
2Departamento Regional da Bahia, Centro Integrado de Manufatura e Tecnologia, SENAI, Avenida Orlando Gomes N 1845, Piatã, 41650-010 Salvador, BA, Brazil
3Departamento de Electromagnetismo y Física de la Materia Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Granada Campus de Fuentenueva, Severo Ochoa s/n, 18071 Granada, Spain
Received 26 July 2012; Revised 5 November 2012; Accepted 14 November 2012
Academic Editor: Fatih Yaman
Copyright © 2012 F. A. A. Queiroz et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. J. Daniels, Ground Penetrating Radar, The institute of Electrical Engineers, London, UK, 2004.
- H. M. Jol, Ground Penetrating Radar: Theory and Applications, Elsevier Science, Oxford, UK, 2009.
- L. B. Conyers, “Ground-penetrating radar techniques to discover and map historic graves,” Historical Archaeology, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 64–73, 2006.
- M. M. Poulton, Computational Neural Net-Works for Geophysical Data Processing, Pergamon, Mysia, Turkey, 2001.
- A. G. Davis, M. K. Lim, and C. G. Petersen, “Rapid and economical evaluation of concrete tunnel linings with impulse response and impulse radar non-destructive methods,” NDT and E International, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 181–186, 2005.
- C. Maierhofer, H. W. Reinhardt, and G. Dobmann, Eds., Non-DeStructive Evaluation of Reinforced Concrete Structures: Non Destructive Testing Methods, vol. 2, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2010.
- K. J. Langenberg, K. Mayer, and R. Marklein, “Nondestructive testing of concrete with electromagnetic and elastic waves: modeling and imaging,” Cement and Concrete Composites, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 370–383, 2006.
- S. R. Doctor, T. E. Hall, and L. D. Reid, “SAFT-the evolution of a signal processing technology for ultrasonic testing,” NDT International, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 163–167, 1986.
- X. L. Travassos, D. A. G. Vieira, N. Ida, C. Vollaire, and A. Nicolas, “Inverse algorithms for the GPR assessment of concrete structures,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 994–997, 2008.
- X. L. Travassos, D. A. G. Vieira, N. Ida, and A. Nicolas, “In the use of parametric and nonparametric algorithms for the nondestructive evaluation of concrete structures,” Research in Nondestructive Evaluation, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 71–93, 2009.
- J. H. Bungey, “Sub-surface radar testing of concrete: a review,” Construction and Building Materials, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2004.
- X.-Q. He, Z. Q. Zhu, Q. Y. Liu, and G. Y. Lu, “Review of GPR rebar detection,” in Proceedings of the Progress in Electromagnetics Research Symposium (PIERS '09), pp. 804–813, Beijing, China, March 2009.
- T. C. K. Molyneaux, S. G. Millard, J. H. Bungey, and J. Q. Zhou, “Radar assessment of structural concrete using neural networks,” NDT and E International, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 281–288, 1995.
- M. R. Shaw, S. G. Millard, T. C. K. Molyneaux, M. J. Taylor, and J. H. Bungey, “Location of steel reinforcement in concrete using ground penetrating radar and neural networks,” NDT and E International, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 203–212, 2005.
- D. Ayala-Cabrera, M. Herrera, J. Izquierdo, and R. Pérez-García, “Location of buried plastic pipes using multi-agent support based on GPR images,” Journal of Applied Geophysics, vol. 75, no. 4, pp. 679–686, 2011.
- M. Heiler, S. McNeil, and J. Garrett, “Ground-penetrating radar for highway and bridge deck condition assessment and inventory,” in Nondestructive Evaluation of Aging Bridges and Highways, pp. 195–206, June 1995.
- I. Abdel-Qader, F. Abu-Amara, and O. Abu- dayyeh, “Fractals and independent component analysis for defect detection in bridge decks,” Advances in Civil Engineering, vol. 2011, Article ID 506464, 14 pages, 2011.
- J. Wang, X. Xie, and H. Huang, “A fuzzy comprehensive evaluation system of mountain tunnel lining based on the fast nondestructive inspection,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Remote Sensing, Environment and Transportation Engineering (RSETE '11), pp. 2832–2834, 2011.
- Z. M. Sbartaï, S. Laurens, K. Viriyametanont, J. P. Balayssac, and G. Arliguie, “Non-destructive evaluation of concrete physical condition using radar and artificial neural networks,” Construction and Building Materials, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 837–845, 2009.
- S. Bazaraa, H. D. Sherali, and C. M. Shetty, Nonlinear Programming: Theory and Algorithms, Wiley-Interscience, New York, NY, USA, 2006.
- K. Kira and L. Rendell, “A practical approach to feature selection,” in Proceedings of the 9th International Workshop on Machine Learning, pp. 249–256, 1992.
- S. R. H. Hoole, “Artificial neural networks in the solution of inverse electromagnetic field problems,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 1931–1934, 1993.
- I. Guyon, S. Gunn, M. Nikravesh, and L. A. Zadeh, Feature Extraction-Foundations and Applications, Studies in Fuzziness and Soft Computing, vol. 207, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2006.
- R. Gilad-Bachrach, A. Navot, and N. Tishby, “Margin based feature selection-theory and algorithms,” in Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML '04), pp. 337–344, July 2004.
- S. Caorsi and G. Cevini, “An electromagnetic approach based on neural networks for the GPR investigation of buried cylinders,” IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 3–7, 2005.
- F. A. A. Queiroz, D. A. G. Vieira, and X. L. Travassos, “Analyzing the relevant features of GPR scattered waves in time and frequency-domain,” Research in Nondestructive Evaluation. In press.
- P. K. Mehta, Concrete: Structure, Properties and Materials, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA, 1986.
- O. Buyukozturk, T.-Y. Yu, and J. A. Ortega, “A methodology for determining complex permittivity of construction materials based on transmission-only coherent, wide-bandwidth free-space measurements,” Cement and Concrete Composites, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 349–359, 2006.
- I. L. Al-Qadi, O. A. Hazim, and S. M. W. Suriad S.M., “Dielectric properties of Portland cement concrete at low radio frequencies,” Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 192–198, 1995.
- D. A. G. Vieira, L. Travassos, R. R. Saldanha, and V. Palade, “Signal denoising in engineering problems through the minimum gradient method,” Neurocomputing, vol. 72, no. 10–12, pp. 2270–2275, 2009.
- X. L. Travassos, D. A. G. Vieira, N. Ida, C. Vollaire, and A. Nicolas, “Characterization of inclusions in a nonhomogeneous GPR problem by artificial neural networks,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 1630–1633, 2008.
- X. L. Travassos, D. A. G. Vieira, V. Palade, and A. Nicolas, “Noise reduction in a non-homogenous ground penetrating radar problem by multiobjective neural networks,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 1454–1457, 2009.