- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Mathematical Problems in Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 257104, 6 pages
Theoretical Framework of a Variational Formulation for Nonlinear Heat Transfer with Phase Changes
1Université de Lyon, ENISE, LTDS, UMR 5513 CNRS, 58 rue Jean Parot, 42023 Saint-Etienne Cedex 2, France
2Université de Lyon, ENISE, DIPI, EA 3719, 58 rue Jean Parot, 42023 Saint-Etienne Cedex 2, France
Received 28 September 2012; Revised 20 November 2012; Accepted 21 November 2012
Academic Editor: Diego J. Celentano
Copyright © 2013 Eric Feulvarch et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Feulvarch, J. M. Bergheau, and J. B. Leblond, “An implicit finite element algorithm for the simulation of diffusion with phase changes in solids,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol. 78, no. 12, pp. 1492–1512, 2009.
- G. Comini, S. Del Guidice, R. W. Lewis, and O. C. Zienkiewicz, “Finite element solution of nonlinear heat conduction problems with special reference to phase change,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 613–624, 1974.
- K. Morgan, R. W. Lewis, and O. C. Zienkiewicz, “An improved algorithm for heat conduction problems with phase change,” vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 1191–1195, 1978.
- R. W. Lewis and P. M. Roberts, “Finite element simulation of solidification problems,” Applied Scientific Research, vol. 44, no. 1-2, pp. 61–92, 1987.
- H. Çetinel, M. Toparli, and L. Özsoyeller, “Finite element based prediction of the microstructural evolution of steels subjected to the Tempcore process,” Mechanics of Materials, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 339–347, 2000.
- W. D. Rolph and K. J. Bathe, “An efficient algorithm for analysis of nonlinear heat transfer with phase changes,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 119–134, 1982.
- Q. T. Pham, “A fast, unconditionally stable finite-difference scheme for heat conduction with phase change,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 2079–2084, 1985.
- Q. T. Pham, “Comparison of general-purpose finite-element methods for the Stefan problem,” Numerical Heat Transfer B, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 417–435, 1995.
- D. Hömberg, “A numerical simulation of the Jominy end-quench test,” Acta Materialia, vol. 44, no. 11, pp. 4375–4385, 1996.
- Y. V. L. N. Murthy, G. Venkata Rao, and P. K. Iyer, “Numerical simulation of welding and quenching processes using transient thermal and thermo-elasto-plastic formulations,” Computers and Structures, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 131–154, 1996.
- H. N. Han, J. K. Lee, H. J. Kim, and Y. S. Jin, “A model for deformation, temperature and phase transformation behavior of steels on run-out table in hot strip mill,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 128, no. 1-3, pp. 216–225, 2002.
- S. Serajzadeh, “Modelling of temperature history and phase transformations during cooling of steel,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 146, no. 3, pp. 311–317, 2004.
- V. R. Voller, “An overview of numerical methods for phase change problems,” Advances in Numerical Heat Transfer, vol. 1, pp. 341–375, 1996.
- V. D. Fachinotti, A. Cardona, and A. E. Huespe, “A fast convergent and accurate temperature model for phase-change heat conduction,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol. 44, no. 12, pp. 1863–1884, 1999.
- A. J. Dalhuijsen and A. Segal, “Comparison of finite element techniques for solidification problems,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol. 23, no. 10, pp. 1807–1829, 1986.
- M. Rappaz, “Modelling of microstructure formation in solidification processes,” International Materials Reviews, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 93–123, 1989.
- N. R. Eyres, D. R. Hartree, J. Ingham, R. Jackson, R. J. Sarjant, and J. B. Wagstaff, “The calculation of variable heat flow in solids,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London A, vol. 240, pp. 1–57, 1946.
- M. J. Mundim and M. Fortes, “Evaluation of finite element method utilised in the solution of solid-liquid phase change problems,” in Numerical Methods in Thermal Problems, W. Lewis and K. Morgan, Eds., vol. 6, pp. 90–100, Pineridge Press, Swansea, UK, 1989.
- J. J. Droux, “Three-dimensional numerical simulation of solidification by an improved explicit scheme,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 57–74, 1991.
- P. A. Gremaud, Analyse numerique de problemes de changements de phase lies a des phenomenes de solidification [Ph.D. thesis], Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland, 1991.
- B. Nedjar, “An enthalpy-based finite element method for nonlinear heat problems involving phase change,” Computers and Structures, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 9–21, 2002.
- E. Feulvarch and J. M. Bergheau, “An implicit fixed-grid method for the finite-element analysis of heat transfer involving phase changes,” Numerical Heat Transfer B, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 585–610, 2007.
- J.-B. Leblond, “Mathematical results for a model of diffusion and precipitation of chemical elements in solid matrices,” Nonlinear Analysis, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 297–322, 2005.
- J.-M. Bergheau and R. Fortunier, Finite Element Simulation of Heat Transfer, ISTE-Wiley, 2010.
- K.-J. Bathe, Finite Element Procedures, Prentice-Hall, 1996.
- G. Allaire, Numerical Analysis and Optimization, Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK, 2007.
- J. Nečas, “Sur une méthode pour résoudre les équations aux dérivées partielles du type elliptique, voisine de la variationnelle,” Annali della Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa, vol. 16, pp. 305–326, 1962.
- A. Ern and J.-L. Guermond, Éléments Finis: Théorie, Applications, Mise en œuvre, vol. 36, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2002.
- H. Brezis, Functional Analysis, Sobolev Spaces and Partial Differential Equations, Universitext, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2011.
- K. Yosida, Functional Analysis, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1980.