- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Mathematical Problems in Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 341232, 12 pages
Stability Analysis of Nonlocal Elastic Columns with Initial Imperfection
1College of Engineering, Ocean University of China, Qingdao 266100, China
2Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, National University of Singapore, Singapore 117576
3School of Mathematics, University of Jinan, Jinan 250022, China
Received 13 September 2012; Accepted 20 January 2013
Academic Editor: Jyh Horng Chou
Copyright © 2013 S. P. Xu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Iijima, “Helical microtubules of graphitic carbon,” Nature, vol. 354, no. 6348, pp. 56–58, 1991.
- T. Murmu and S. Adhikari, “Nonlocal elasticity based vibration of initially pre-stressed coupled nanobeam systems,” European Journal of Mechanics A, vol. 34, pp. 52–62, 2012.
- A. C. Eringen, Nonlocal Continuum Field Theories, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2002.
- Y. Chen, J. D. Lee, and A. Eskandarian, “Atomistic viewpoint of the applicability of microcontinuum theories,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 2085–2097, 2004.
- B. Arash and Q. Wang, “A review on the application of nonlocal elastic models in modeling of carbon nanotubes and graphenes,” Computational Materials Science, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 303–313, 2012.
- C. M. Wang, Y. Y. Zhang, Y. Xiang, and J. N. Reddy, “Recent studies on buckling of carbon nanotubes,” Applied Mechanics Reviews, vol. 63, no. 3, Article ID 030804, 18 pages, 2010.
- E. W. Wong, P. E. Sheehan, and C. M. Lieber, “Nanobeam mechanics: elasticity, strength, and toughness of nanorods and nanotubes,” Science, vol. 277, no. 5334, pp. 1971–1975, 1997.
- M. R. Falvo, G. J. Clary, R. M. Taylor et al., “Bending and buckling of carbon nanotubes under large strain,” Nature, vol. 389, no. 6651, pp. 582–584, 1997.
- B. I. Yakobson, C. J. Brabec, and J. Bernholc, “Nanomechanics of carbon tubes: instabilities beyond linear response,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 76, no. 14, pp. 2511–2514, 1996.
- G. Alici, “An effective modelling approach to estimate nonlinear bending behaviour of cantilever type conducting polymer actuators,” Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 141, no. 1, pp. 284–292, 2009.
- A. E. H. Love, A Treatise on the Mathematical Theory of Elasticity, Dover, New York, NY, USA, 4th edition, 1944.
- S. P. Timoshenko, Theory of Elastic Stability, Engineering Societies Monographs, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1961.
- V. G. A. Goss, “The history of the planar elastica: insights into mechanics and scientific method,” Science and Education, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 1057–1082, 2009.
- S. Matsutani, “Euler's elastica and beyond,” Journal of Geometry and Symmetry in Physics, vol. 17, pp. 45–86, 2010.
- J. C. Lotz, O. M. O'Reilly, and D. M. Peters, “Some comments on the absence of buckling of the ligamentous human spine in the sagittal plane,” Mechanics Research Communications, vol. 40, pp. 11–15, 2012.
- H. F. Chen, S. P. Xu, and H. Y. Guo, “Nonlinear analysis of flexible and steel catenary risers with internal flow and seabed interaction effects,” Journal of Marine Science and Application, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 156–162, 2011.
- H. F. Chen, S. P. Xu, and H. Y. Guo, “Parametric study of global response behavior of deepwater free standing hybrid risers,” Journal of Ship Mechanics, vol. 15, pp. 996–1004, 2011.
- H. W. Haslach Jr., “Post-buckling behavior of columns with non-linear constitutive equations,” International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 53–67, 1985.
- S. Al-Sadder and N. Shatarat, “A proposed technique for large deflection analysis of cantilever beams composed of two nonlinear elastic materials subjected to an inclined tip concentrated force,” Advances in Structural Engineering, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 319–335, 2007.
- A. M. Vinogradov and W. R. Derrick, “Structure-material relations in the buckling problem of asymmetric composite columns,” International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 167–175, 2000.
- Y. A. Kang and X. F. Li, “Bending of functionally graded cantilever beam with power-law non-linearity subjected to an end force,” International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 696–703, 2009.
- N. Challamel, “On geometrically exact post-buckling of composite columns with interlayer slip—the partially composite elastica,” International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 7–17, 2012.
- Y. Frostig, “Elastica of sandwich panels with a transversely flexible core—a high-order theory approach,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, vol. 46, no. 10, pp. 2043–2059, 2009.
- L. P. Li, K. Schulgasser, and G. Cederbaum, “Large deflection analysis of poroelastic beams,” International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 1–14, 1998.
- G. Suire and G. Cederbaum, “Elastica type dynamic stability analysis of viscoelastic columns,” Archive of Applied Mechanics, vol. 64, no. 5, pp. 307–316, 1994.
- Y. Mikata, “Complete solution of elastica for a clamped-hinged beam, and its applications to a carbon nanotube,” Acta Mechanica, vol. 190, no. 1–4, pp. 133–150, 2007.
- X. Q. He, C. M. Wang, and K. Y. Lam, “Analytical bending solutions of elastica with one end held while the other end portion slides on a friction support,” Archive of Applied Mechanics, vol. 67, no. 8, pp. 543–554, 1997.
- J. S. Chen, H. C. Li, and W. C. Ro, “Slip-through of a heavy elastica on point supports,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 261–268, 2010.
- C. Kimball and L. W. Tsai, “Modeling of flexural beams subjected to arbitrary end loads,” Journal of Mechanical Design, vol. 124, no. 2, pp. 223–235, 2002.
- S. Chucheepsakul, C. M. Wang, and X. Q. He, “Double curvature bending of variable-arc-length elasticas,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 87–94, 1999.
- R. H. Plaut, D. A. Dillard, and L. N. Virgin, “Postbuckling of elastic columns with second-mode imperfection,” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, vol. 132, no. 8, pp. 898–901, 2006.
- B. S. Shvartsman, “Direct method for analysis of flexible cantilever beam subjected to two follower forces,” International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 249–252, 2009.
- C. S. Liu, “A Lie-group shooting method for post buckling calculations of elastica,” Computer Modeling in Engineering and Sciences, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 1–16, 2008.
- R. Kumar, L. S. Ramachandra, and D. Roy, “Techniques based on genetic algorithms for large deflection analysis of beams,” Sadhana, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 589–604, 2004.
- T. Y. Wang, C. G. Koh, and C. Y. Liaw, “Post-buckling analysis of planar elastica using a hybrid numerical strategy,” Computers and Structures, vol. 88, no. 11-12, pp. 785–795, 2010.
- O. Sepahi, M. R. Forouzan, and P. Malekzadeh, “Differential quadrature application in post-buckling analysis of a hinged-fixed elastica under terminal forces and self-weight,” Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 331–336, 2010.
- D. D. Berkey and M. I. Freedman, “A perturbation method applied to the buckling of a compressed elastica,” Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 213–221, 1978.
- C. Y. Wang, “Asymptotic formula for the flexible bar,” Mechanism and Machine Theory, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 645–655, 1999.
- W. Lacarbonara, “Buckling and post-buckling of non-uniform non-linearly elastic rods,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, vol. 50, no. 8, pp. 1316–1325, 2008.
- C. E. N. Mazzilli, “Buckling and post-buckling of extensible rods revisited: a multiple-scale solution,” International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 200–208, 2009.
- H. S. Shen, “A novel technique for nonlinear analysis of beams on two-parameter elastic foundations,” International Journal of Structural Stability and Dynamics, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 999–1014, 2011.
- J. Wang, J. K. Chen, and S. Liao, “An explicit solution of the large deformation of a cantilever beam under point load at the free tip,” Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, vol. 212, no. 2, pp. 320–330, 2008.
- N. Tolou and J. L. Herder, “A seminalytical approach to large deflections in compliant beams under point load,” Mathematical Problems in Engineering, vol. 2009, Article ID 910896, 13 pages, 2009.
- S. Ghosh and D. Roy, “Numeric-analytic form of the adomian decomposition method for two-point boundary value problems in nonlinear mechanics,” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, vol. 133, no. 10, pp. 1124–1133, 2007.
- P. N. Andriotaki, I. H. Stampouloglou, and E. E. Theotokoglou, “Nonlinear asymptotic analysis in elastica of straight bars-analytical parametric solutions,” Archive of Applied Mechanics, vol. 76, no. 9-10, pp. 525–536, 2006.
- C. M. Wang, Y. Xiang, and S. Kitipornchai, “Postbuckling of nano rods/tubes based on nonlocal beam theory,” International Journal of Applied Mechanics, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 259–266, 2009.
- S. P. Xu, “Elastica type buckling analysis of micro-/nano-rods using nonlocal elasticity theory,” in Proceedings of the 2nd Asian Conference on Mechanics of Functional Materials and Structures (ACMFMS'10), pp. 219–222, Nanjing, China, 2010.
- S. P. Xu, C. M. Wang, and M. R. Xu, “Buckling analysis of shear deformable nanorods within the framework of nonlocal elasticity theory,” Physica E, vol. 44, no. 7-8, pp. 1380–1385, 2012.
- T. M. Atanackovic, B. N. Novakovic, and Z. Vrcelj, “Application of Pontryagin's principle to bimodal optimization of nano rods,” International Journal of Structural Stability and Dynamics, vol. 12, no. 3, Article ID 1250012, 11 pages, 2012.
- T. R. Tauchert and W. Y. Lu, “Large deformation and postbuckling behavior of an initially deformed rod,” International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 511–520, 1987.
- M. D. Williams, F. V. Keulen, and M. Sheplak, “Modeling of initially curved beam structures for design of multistable MEMS,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, vol. 79, no. 1, Article ID 011006, 11 pages, 2012.
- A. N. Kounadis and A. F. Economou, “The effects of initial curvature and other parameters on the nonlinear buckling of simple frames,” Journal of Structural Mechanics, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 27–42, 1984.
- S. A. Emam, “A static and dynamic analysis of the postbuckling of geometrically imperfect composite beams,” Composite Structures, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 247–253, 2009.
- W. H. Duan and C. M. Wang, “Exact solutions for axisymmetric bending of micro/nanoscale circular plates based on nonlocal plate theory,” Nanotechnology, vol. 18, no. 38, Article ID 385704, 2007.
- Q. Wang and C. M. Wang, “The constitutive relation and small scale parameter of nonlocal continuum mechanics for modelling carbon nanotubes,” Nanotechnology, vol. 18, no. 7, Article ID 075702, 2007.
- J. Mallis and A. N. Kounadis, “On the accuracy of various large axial displacement formulae for crooked columns,” Computational Mechanics, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 47–58, 1988.
- T. M. Atanackovic, B. N. Novakovic, and Z. Vrcelj, “Shape optimization against buckling of micro- and nano-rods,” Archive of Applied Mechanics, vol. 82, no. 10-11, pp. 1303–1311, 2012.
- J. H. He, “Homotopy perturbation technique,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 178, no. 3-4, pp. 257–262, 1999.
- J. H. He, “A coupling method of a homotopy technique and a perturbation technique for non-linear problems,” International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 37–43, 2000.
- M. Mojahedi, M. M. Zand, and M. T. Ahmadian, “Static pull-in analysis of electrostatically actuated microbeams using homotopy perturbation method,” Applied Mathematical Modelling, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 1032–1041, 2010.
- M. R. Xu, S. P. Xu, and H. Y. Guo, “Determination of natural frequencies of fluid-conveying pipes using homotopy perturbation method,” Computers and Mathematics with Applications, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 520–527, 2010.
- A. N. Kounadis and J. G. Mallis, “Elastica type buckling analysis of bars from non-linearly elastic material,” International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 99–107, 1987.
- G. Kandakis and A. N. Kounadis, “On the large postbuckling response of nonconservative continuous systems,” Archive of Applied Mechanics, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 256–265, 1992.
- A. N. Kounadis, J. Mallis, and A. Sbarounis, “Postbuckling analysis of columns resting on an elastic foundation,” Archive of Applied Mechanics, vol. 75, no. 6-7, pp. 395–404, 2006.
- A. N. Kounadis, “An efficient and simple approximate technique for solving nonlinear initial and boundary-value problems,” Computational Mechanics, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 221–231, 1992.
- N. Challamel and C. M. Wang, “On lateral-torsional buckling of non-local beams,” Advances in Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 389–398, 2010.