- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Mathematical Problems in Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 363095, 18 pages
Fashion Brand Purity and Firm Performance
1Institute of Textiles and Clothing, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong
2Department of Management, Marketing and General Business, West Texas A&M University, Canyon, TX 79016, USA
3Sun Yat-Sen Business School, Sun Yat-Sen University, No. 135, Xingang West Road, Guangzhou 510275, China
Received 7 December 2012; Accepted 12 February 2013
Academic Editor: Tsan-Ming Choi
Copyright © 2013 Jin-hui Zheng et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. A. Aaker and K. L. Keller, “Consumer evaluations of brand extensions,” The Journal of Marketing, vol. 54, pp. 27–41, 1990.
- W. Amaldoss and S. Jain, “Pricing of conspicuous goods: a competitive analysis of social effects,” Journal of Marketing Research, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 30–42, 2005.
- W. Amaldoss and S. Jain, “Conspicuous consumption and sophisticated thinking,” Management Science, vol. 51, no. 10, pp. 1449–1466, 2005.
- R. W. Belk, “Possessions and the extended self,” Journal of Consumer Research, vol. 15, pp. 139–168, 1988.
- E. L. Grubb and H. L. Grathwohl, “Consumer self-concept, symbolism and market behavior: a theoretical approach,” The Journal of Marketing, vol. 31, pp. 22–27, 1967.
- H. Leibenstein, “Bandwagon, snob, and Veblen effects in the theory of consumers' demand,” The Quarterly Journal of Economics, vol. 64, pp. 183–207, 1950.
- J. H. Zheng, C. H. Chiu, and T. M. Choi, “Optimal advertising and pricing strategies for luxury fashion brands with social influences,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics Part A, vol. 42, pp. 827–837, 2012.
- M. Chevalier and G. Mazzalovo, Luxury Brand Management: A World of Privilege, Wiley, 2012.
- K. Jerath, S. Netessine, and S. K. Veeraraghavan, “Revenue management with strategic customers: last-minute selling and opaque selling,” Management Science, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 430–448, 2010.
- C. M. Moore and G. Birtwistle, “The Burberry business model: creating an international luxury fashion brand,” International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, vol. 32, pp. 412–422, 2004.
- P. M. Kort, J. P. Caulkins, R. F. Hartl, and G. Feichtinger, “Brand image and brand dilution in the fashion industry,” Automatica, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 1363–1370, 2006.
- B. Loken and D. R. John, “Diluting brand beliefs: when do brand extensions have a negative impact?” The Journal of Marketing, pp. 71–84, 1993.
- E. Martínez and L. De Chernatony, “The effect of brand extension strategies upon brand image,” Journal of Consumer Marketing, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 39–50, 2004.
- C. Pullig, C. J. Simmons, and R. G. Netemeyer, “Brand dilution: when do new brands hurt existing brands?” Journal of Marketing, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 52–66, 2006.
- S. M. Broniarczyk and J. W. Alba, “The importance of the brand in brand extension,” Journal of Marketing Research, vol. 31, pp. 214–228, 1994.
- S. Spiggle, H. T. Nguyen, and M. Caravella, “More than fit: brand extension authenticity,” Journal of Marketing Research, vol. 49, pp. 967–983, 2012.
- K. Srivastava and N. K. Sharma, “Consumer attitude towards brand-extension incongruity: the moderating role of need for cognition and need for change,” Journal of Marketing Management, vol. 28, pp. 652–675, 2012.
- T. M. Choi, N. Liu, S. C. Liu, J. Mak, and Y. T. To, “Fast fashion brand extensions: an empirical study of consumer preferences,” Journal of Brand Management, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 472–487, 2010.
- T. M. Choi, S. C. Liu, C. S. Tang, and Y. Yu, “A cross-cluster and cross-region analysis of fashion brand extensions,” Journal of the Textile Institute, vol. 102, pp. 890–904, 2011.
- S. Kim and H. Chung, “The impacts of perceived fit, brand familiarity, and status consciousness on fashion brand extension evaluation,” International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology and Education, 2012.
- Y. J. Han, J. C. Nunes, and X. Drèze, “Signaling status with luxury goods: the role of brand prominence,” Journal of Marketing, vol. 74, no. 4, pp. 15–30, 2010.
- M. B. Brewer, “The social self: on being the same and different at the same time,” Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, vol. 17, pp. 475–482, 1991.
- K. T. Tian, W. O. Bearden, and G. L. Hunter, “Consumers' need for uniqueness: scale development and validation,” Journal of Consumer Research, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 50–66, 2001.
- M. Husic and M. Cicic, “Luxury consumption factors,” Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 231–245, 2009.
- A. Shipman, “Lauding the leisure class: symbolic content and conspicuous consumption,” Review of Social Economy, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 277–289, 2004.
- J. H. Zheng, B. Shen, P. S. Chow, and C. H. Chiu, “The impact of the strategic advertising on luxury fashion brands with social influences,” Mathematical Problems in Engineering, 2013.
- N. A. Morgan and L. L. Rego, “Brand portfolio strategy and firm performance,” Journal of Marketing, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 59–74, 2009.
- R. J. Slotegraaf and K. Pauwels, “The impact of brand equity and innovation on the long-term effectiveness of promotions,” Journal of Marketing Research, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 293–306, 2008.
- S. Jørgensen and A. D. Liddo, “Design imitation in the fashion industry,” Advances in Dynamic Game Theory, vol. 9, pp. 569–586, 2007.
- K. C. Lau and I. Phau, “Extending symbolic brands using their personality: examining antecedents and implications towards brand image fit and brand dilution,” Psychology and Marketing, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 421–444, 2007.
- J. M. Magid, A. D. Cox, and D. S. Cox, “Quantifying brand image: empirical evidence of trademark dilution,” American Business Law Journal, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 1–42, 2006.
- R. N. Bolton, “The relationship between market characteristics and promotional price elasticities,” Marketing Science, vol. 8, pp. 153–169, 1989.