- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Mathematical Problems in Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 480274, 12 pages
An Efficient Universal Noise Removal Algorithm Combining Spatial Gradient and Impulse Statistic
College of Automation, Chongqing University, Chongqing 400030, China
Received 20 March 2013; Revised 22 May 2013; Accepted 11 June 2013
Academic Editor: Marco Perez-Cisneros
Copyright © 2013 Shuhan Chen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. C. Gonzalez and R. E. Woods, Digital Image Processing, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA, 2002.
- R. Garnett, T. Huegerich, C. Chui, and W. He, “A universal noise removal algorithm with an impulse detector,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 1747–1754, 2005.
- W. K. Pratt, Digital Image Processing, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 1978.
- C. Tomasi and R. Manduchi, “Bilateral filtering for gray and color images,” in Proceedings of the 1998 IEEE 6th International Conference on Computer Vision, pp. 839–846, January 1998.
- M. Elad, “On the origin of the bilateral filter and ways to improve it,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 1141–1151, 2002.
- C. H. Lin, J. S. Tsai, and C. T. Chiu, “Switching bilateral filter with a texture/noise detector for universal noise removal,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 2307–2320, 2010.
- S. Paris and F. Durand, “A fast approximation of the bilateral filter using a signal processing approach,” in Proceedings of the 9th European Conference on Computer Vision, vol. 3954 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 568–580, May 2006.
- I. Pitas and A. N. Venetsanopoulos, Nonlinear Digital Filters: Principles and Applications, Kluwer, Norwell, Mass, USA, 1990.
- W. K. Pratt, “Median filtering,” Tech. Rep., Signal and Image Processing Institute, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, Calif, USA, 1975.
- T. Sun and Y. Neuvo, “Detail-preserving median based filters in image processing,” Pattern Recognition Letters, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 341–347, 1994.
- Z. Wang and D. Zhang, “Progressive switching median filter for the removal of impulse noise from highly corrupted images,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 78–80, 1999.
- T. Chen and H. R. Wu, “Space variant median filters for the restoration of impulse noise corrupted images,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II, vol. 48, no. 8, pp. 784–789, 2001.
- C. T. Lu and T. C. Chou, “Denoising of salt-and-pepper noise corrupted image using modified directional-weighted-median filter,” Pattern Recognition Letters, vol. 33, no. 10, pp. 1287–1295, 2012.
- G. Pok, J. C. Liu, and A. S. Nair, “Selective removal of impulse noise based on homogeneity level information,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 85–92, 2003.
- A. Nasimudeen, M. S. Nair, and R. Tatavarti, “Directional switching median filter using boundary discriminative noise detection by elimination,” Signal, Image and Video Processing, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 613–624, 2012.
- K. S. Srinivasan and D. Ebenezer, “A new fast and efficient decision-based algorithm for removal of high-density impulse noises,” IEEE Signal Processing Letters, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 189–192, 2007.
- Y. Dong and S. Xu, “A new directional weighted median filter for removal of random-valued impulse noise,” IEEE Signal Processing Letters, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 193–196, 2007.
- H. Xu, G. Zhu, H. Peng, and D. Wang, “Adaptive fuzzy switching filter for images corrupted by impulse noise,” Pattern Recognition Letters, vol. 25, no. 15, pp. 1657–1663, 2004.
- S. Schulte, V. De Witte, M. Nachtegael, D. Van der Weken, and E. E. Kerre, “Fuzzy random impulse noise reduction method,” Fuzzy Sets and Systems, vol. 158, no. 3, pp. 270–283, 2007.
- C. C. Kang and W. J. Wang, “Fuzzy reasoning-based directional median filter design,” Signal Processing, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 344–351, 2009.
- Y. Dong, R. H. Chan, and S. Xu, “A detection statistic for random-valued impulse noise,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 1112–1120, 2007.
- H. Yu, L. Zhao, and H. Wang, “An efficient procedure for removing random-valued impulse noise in images,” IEEE Signal Processing Letters, vol. 15, pp. 922–925, 2008.
- E. Abreu, M. Lightstone, S. K. Mitra, and K. Arakawa, “A new efficient approach for the removal of impulse noise from highly corrupted images,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 1012–1025, 1996.
- Y. Xiao, T. Zeng, J. Yu, and M. K. Ng, “Restoration of images corrupted by mixed Gaussian-impulse noise via l1l0 minimization,” Pattern Recognition, vol. 44, no. 8, pp. 1708–1720, 2011.
- Y. Zhou, Z. Ye, and Y. Xiao, “A restoration algorithm for images contaminated by mixed Gaussian plus random-valued impulse noise,” Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation, vol. 24, pp. 283–294, 2013.
- D. Zhang and Z. Wang, “Impulse noise removal using polynomial approximation,” Optical Engineering, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 1275–1282, 1998.
- S. Zhang and M. A. Karim, “A new impulse detector for switching median filters,” IEEE Signal Processing Letters, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 360–363, 2002.
- B. Zhang and J. P. Allebach, “Adaptive bilateral filter for sharpness enhancement and noise removal,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 664–678, 2008.
- T. Chen and H. R. Wu, “Adaptive impulse detection using center-weighted median filters,” IEEE Signal Processing Letters, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 1–3, 2001.