- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Mathematical Problems in Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 562320, 10 pages
Power Law and Entropy Analysis of Catastrophic Phenomena
1Department of Electrical Engineering, Institute of Engineering, Polytechnic of Porto (ISEP),
Rua Dr. António Bernardino de Almeida, 431, 4200-072 Porto, Portugal
2Institute of Engineering, Polytechnic of Porto (ISEP) and Center of Mathematics of the University of Porto, Rua Dr. António Bernardino de Almeida, 431, 4200-072 Porto, Portugal
3UISPA, IDMEC-Polo FEUP, Faculty of Engineering, University of Porto, Rua Dr. Roberto Frias, 4200-465 Porto, Portugal
Received 17 September 2012; Accepted 13 December 2012
Academic Editor: József Kázmér Tar
Copyright © 2013 J. A. Tenreiro Machado et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Tenreiro Machado, F. B. Duarte, and G. M. Duarte, “Power law analysis of financial index dynamics,” Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society, vol. 2012, Article ID 120518, 12 pages, 2012.
- J. Tenreiro Machado, “And I say to myself: ‘What a fractional worl’,” Fractional Calculus and Applied Analysis, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 635–654, 2011.
- E. Scalas, R. Gorenflo, and F. Mainardi, “Fractional calculus and continuous-time finance,” Physica A, vol. 284, no. 1–4, pp. 376–384, 2000.
- F. Mainardi, M. Raberto, R. Gorenflo, and E. Scalas, “Fractional calculus and continuous-time finance. II: the waiting-time distribution,” Physica A, vol. 287, no. 3-4, pp. 468–481, 2000.
- B. J. West, “Fractal physiology and the fractional calculus: a perspective,” Frontiers in Physiology, vol. 1, p. 12, 2010.
- B. Gutenberg and R. F. Richter, “Frequency of earthquakes in california,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, vol. 34, pp. 185–188, 1944.
- L. F. Richardson, “Variation of the Frequency of Fatal Quarrels with Magnitude,” Journal of the American Statistical Association, vol. 43, pp. 523–546, 1948.
- J. M. Carlson and J. S. Langer, “Mechanical model of an earthquake fault,” Physical Review A, vol. 40, no. 11, pp. 6470–6484, 1989.
- D. C. Roberts and D. L. Turcotte, “Fractality and self-organized criticality of wars,” Fractals, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 351–357, 1998.
- D. R. Davis and D. E. Weinstein, “Bones, bombs, and break points: the geography of economic activity,” The American Economic Review, vol. 92, no. 5, pp. 1269–1289, 2002.
- L. E. Cederman, “Modeling the size of wars: from billiard balls to sandpiles,” American Political Science Review, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 135–150, 2003.
- J. C. Bohorquez, S. Gourley, A. R. Dixon, M. Spagat, and N. F. Johnson, “Common ecology quantifies human insurgency,” Nature, vol. 462, no. 7275, pp. 911–914, 2009.
- V. Pareto, Cours d'Economie Politique, Droz, Geneva, Switzerland, 1896.
- F. Auerbach, “Das Gesetz der Belvolkerungskoncentration,” Petermanns Geographische Mitteilungen, vol. 59, pp. 74–76, 1913.
- J. B. Estoup, Gammes Stenographiques, Institut de France, 1916.
- G. Zipf, Selective Studies and the Principle of Relative Frequency in Language, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Mass, USA, 1932.
- G. Zipf, Human Behavior and the Priciple of Least Effort, Addison-Wesley, Cambridge, Mass, USA, 1949.
- W. Li, “References on Zipf's law,” http://www.sorinsolomon.net/~sorin/ccs/zipf/references%20on%20zipf%27s%20law.htm.
- D. Sornette, Critical Phenomena in Natural Sciences, chapter 14, Springer, Heidelberg, Germany, 2nd edition, 2003.
- C. M. A. Pinto, A. M. Lopes, and J. A. Tenreiro Machado, “A review of power laws in real life phenomena,” Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulations, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 3558–3578, 2012.
- J. Tuldava, “The frequency spectrum of text and vocabulary,” Journal of Quantitative Linguistics, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 38–50, 1996.
- G. Martínez-Mekler, R. Alvarez Martínez, M. Beltrán del Río, R. Mansilla, P. Miramontes, and G. Cocho, “Universality of rank-ordering distributions in the arts and sciences,” PLoS One, vol. 4, no. 3, Article ID e4791, 2009.
- R. F. I. Cancho and R. V. Solé, “Two regimes in the frequency of words and the origins of complex lexicons: Zipf's law revisited,” Journal of Quantitative Linguistics, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 165–173, 2001.
- R. Alvarez-Martinez, G. Martinez-Mekler, and G. Cochoa, “Order-disorder transition in conflicting dynamics leading to rank-frequency generalized beta distributions,” Physica A, vol. 390, no. 1, pp. 120–130, 2011.
- L. F. Richardson, Statistics of Deadly Quarrels, Quadrangle Books, Chicago, Ill, USA, 1960.
- F. Guzzetti, “Landslide fatalities and the evaluation of landslide risk in Italy,” Engineering Geology, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 89–107, 2000.
- S. N. Jonkman, “Global perspectives on loss of human life caused by floods,” Natural Hazards, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 151–175, 2005.
- N. F. Johnson, M. Spagat, J. A. Restrepo et al., “Universal patterns underlying ongoingwars and terrorism,” http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0605035.
- D. S. Geller and J. David Singer, Nations at War: A Scientific Study of International Conflict, Cambridge Studies in International Relations, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1998.
- O. Becerra, N. Johnson, P. Meier, J. Restrepo, and M. Spagat, “Natural disasters, casualties and power laws: a comparative analysis with armed conflict,” in Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the American Political Science Association, Loews Philadelphia, and the Pennsylvania Convention Center, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2006, http://www.allacademic.com/meta/p151714_index.html.
- M. E. J. Newman, “Power laws Pareto distributions and Zipf's law,” Contemporary Physics, vol. 46, pp. 323–351, 2005.
- A. Clauset and M. Young, “Scale invariance in global terrorism,” http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0502014.
- K. T. Bogen and E. D. Jones, “Risks of mortality and morbidity from worldwide terrorism: 1968–2004,” Risk Analysis, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 45–59, 2006.
- A. Clauset, M. Young, and K. S. Gleditsch, “On the frequency of severe terrorist events,” Journal of Conflict Resolution, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 58–87, 2007.
- EM-DAT, “The OFDA/CRED International Disaster Database,” Université catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium, http://www.emdat.net/.
- National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (START), “Global Terrorism Database,” 2011, http://www.start.umd.edu/gtd/.
- R. Clausius, The Mechanical Theory of Heat with Its Applications to the Steam Engine and to Physical Properties of Bodies, John van Voorst, London, UK, 1865.
- L. Boltzmann, Vorlesungen ber Gastheorie, J. A. Barth, Leipzig, Germany, 1896.
- C. E. Shannon, “A mathematical theory of communication,” The Bell System Technical Journal, vol. 27, pp. 379–423, 623–656, 1948.
- E. T. Jaynes, “Information theory and statistical mechanics,” vol. 106, pp. 620–630, 1957.
- A. I. Khinchin, Mathematical Foundations of Information Theory, Dover, New York, NY, USA, 1957.
- A. R. Plastino, M. Casas, and A. Plastino, “A nonextensive maximum entropy approach to a family of nonlinear reaction-diffusion equations,” Physica A, vol. 280, no. 3, pp. 289–303, 2000.
- T. D. Frank and A. Daffertshofer, “-theorem for nonlinear Fokker-Planck equations related to generalized thermostatistics,” Physica A, vol. 295, no. 3-4, pp. 455–474, 2001.
- E. K. Lenzi, R. S. Mendes, and L. R. da Silva, “Statistical mechanics based on Renyi entropy,” Physica A, vol. 280, no. 3-4, pp. 337–345, 2000.
- A. S. Parvan and T. S. Biró, “Extensive Rényi statistics from non-extensive entropy,” Physics Letters A, vol. 340, no. 5-6, pp. 375–387, 2005.
- B. D. Sharma and D. P. Mittal, “New nonadditive measures of entropy for discrete probability distributions,” Journal of Mathematical Sciences, vol. 10, pp. 28–40, 1975.
- T. D. Frank and A. Daffertshofer, “Exact time-dependent solutions of the Renyi Fokker-Planck equation and the Fokker-Planck equations related to the entropies proposed by Sharma and Mittal,” Physica A, vol. 285, no. 3, pp. 351–366, 2000.
- M. R. Ubriaco, “Entropies based on fractional calculus,” Physics Letters A, vol. 373, no. 30, pp. 2516–2519, 2009.
- P. T. Landsberg and V. Vedral, “Distributions and channel capacities in generalized statistical mechanics,” Physics Letters A, vol. 247, no. 3, pp. 211–217, 1998.
- A. Plastino and A. R. Plastino, “Tsallis Entropy and Jaynes' information theory formalism,” Brazilian Journal of Physics, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 50–60, 1999.
- X. Li, C. Essex, M. Davison, K. H. Hoffmann, and C. Schulzky, “Fractional diffusion, irreversibility and entropy,” Journal of Non-Equilibrium Thermodynamics, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 279–291, 2003.
- H. J. Haubold, A. M. Mathai, and R. K. Saxena, “Boltzmann-Gibbs entropy versus Tsallis entropy: recent contributions to resolving the argument of Einstein concerning “neither Herr Boltzmann nor Herr Planck has given a definition of W”? Essay review,” Astrophysics and Space Science, vol. 290, no. 3-4, pp. 241–245, 2004.
- P. N. Rathie and S. da Silva, “Shannon, Lévy, and Tsallis: a note,” Applied Mathematical Sciences, vol. 2, no. 28, pp. 1359–1363, 2008.
- R. M. Gray, Entropy and Information Theory, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2009.
- J. A. Tenreiro Machado, A. C. Costa, and M. F. M. Lima, “Dynamical analysis of compositions,” Nonlinear Dynamics, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 339–412, 2011.
- J. A. T. Machado, A. C. Costa, and M. D. Quelhas, “Entropy analysis of the DNA code dynamics in human chromosomes,” Computers & Mathematics with Applications, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 1612–1617, 2011.
- J. A. Tenreiro Machado, A. C. Costa, and M. D. Quelhas, “Shannon, Rényie and Tsallis entropy analysis of DNA using phase plane,” Nonlinear Analysis: Real World Applications, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 3135–3144, 2011.