- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Mathematical Problems in Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 653282, 10 pages
Rainfall Reliability Evaluation for Stability of Municipal Solid Waste Landfills on Slope
1Department of Water Resources and Environmental Engineering, Tamkang University, New Taipei City 25137, Taiwan
2Department of Construction Engineering, Chaoyang University of Technology, Taichung City 41349, Taiwan
3Project Department, GeoTech Science Corporation Ltd., New Taipei City 22103, Taiwan
Received 5 November 2012; Revised 12 February 2013; Accepted 28 February 2013
Academic Editor: Sunghwan Kim
Copyright © 2013 Fu-Kuo Huang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D.G. Anderson and E. Kavazanjian, “Performance of landfills under seismic loading,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Recent Advances in Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering and Soil Dynamics, Rolla, Mo, USA, 1995.
- R. L. Anderson, “Earthquake related damage and landfill performance,” Earthquake Design and Performance of Solid Waste Landfills, ASCE Geotechnical Special Publication, vol. 54, pp. 1–16, 1995.
- A. J. Augello, N. Matasovic, J. D. Bray E, Jr. Kavazanjian, and R. B. Seed, “Evaluation of solid waste landfill performance during the Northridge earthquake,” Earthquake Design and Performance of Solid Waste Landfills, ASCE Geotechnical Special Publication, vol. 54, pp. 17–50, 1995.
- I. M. Idriss, G. L. Fiegel, M. B. Hudson, P. K. Mundy, and R. Herzig, “Seismic response of the operating industries landfill,” Earthquake Design and Performance of Solid Waste Landfills, ASCE Geotechnical Special Publication, vol. 54, pp. 83–118, 1995.
- E. Kavazanjian Jr. and N. Matasovic, “Seismic analysis of solid waste landfills,” Geoenvironment 2000, V. 2, ASCE Geotechnical Special Publication, vol. 46, pp. 1066–1081, 1995.
- E. Kavazanjian Jr., N. Matasovic, R. Bonaparte, and G. R. Schmertmann, “Evaluation of MSW properties for seismic analysis,” Geoenvironment 2000, V. 2, ASCE Geotechnical Special Publication, vol. 46, pp. 1126–1141.
- E. L. Krinitzsky, M. E. Hynes, and A. G. Franklin, “Earthquake safety evaluation of sanitary landfills,” Engineering Geology, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 143–156, 1997.
- P. S. S. Pinto, “Static and seismic analysis of solid waste landfills,” in Proceedings of the International Symposium on Geoenvironmental Engineering (ISGE '09), Hangzhou, China, September 2009.
- N. Huvaj-Sarihan and T. D. Stark, “Back-analyses of landfill slope failures,” in Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Case Histories in Geotechnical Engineering, pp. 11–16, Arlington, Va, USA, August 2008.
- X. L. Liu, Study on stability of landfill due to rainfall infiltration [Ph.D. thesis], Tianjin University, Tianjin, China, 2006.
- H. D. Lin and C. P. Lin, “A preliminary study on resistance and load factors for drilled piles,” Journal of the Chinese Institute of Civil and Hydraulic Engineering, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 13–21, 1999.
- K. J. Shou and Y. L. Chen, “Spatial risk analysis of the Li-Shan landslide,” in Proceedings of the 11th Conference on Current Researches in Geotechnical Engineering in Taiwan, pp. C04-4–C04-8, Wanli, Taiwan, September 2005.
- W. H. Tang, M. S. Yuceman, and A. H. S. Ang, “Reliability analysis and design of braced excavation systems,” in Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Applications of Statistics and Probability in Soil and Structural Engineering, pp. 187–202, Hong Kong, 1971.
- B. K. Low, “Reliability-based design applied to retaining walls,” Geotechnique, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 63–75, 2005.
- A. T. C. Goh and F. H. Kulhawy, “Neural network approach to model the limit state surface for reliability analysis,” Canadian Geotechnical Journal, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 1235–1244, 2003.
- A. H. S. Ang and W. H. Tang, Probability Concepts in Engineering Planning and Design. Decision, Risk and Reliability, Vol. II, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1984.
- O. Ditlevsen, Uncertainty Modeling: With Applications to Multidimensional Civil Engineering Systems, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1981.
- A. M. Hasofer and N. C. Lind, “An exact and invariant first-order reliability format,” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 111–121, 1974.
- R. Rackwitz and B. Flessler, “Structural reliability under combined random load sequences,” Computers and Structures, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 489–494, 1978.
- K. Hornik, “Approximation capabilities of multilayer feedforward networks,” Neural Networks, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 251–257, 1991.
- G. P. Box and N. R. Draper, Empirical Model-Building and Response Surface, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1987.
- A. Bagchi, Design of Landfills and Integrated Solid Waste Management, John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, NJ, USA, 3rd edition, 2004.
- Taiwan Geotechnical Society, Design Code and Specifications of Building Foundations, 2001.
- Seepage Modeling with SEEP/W, GEO-SLOPE International Ltd., Alberta, Canada, 2004.
- Stability Modeling with SLOPE/W, GEO-SLOPE International Ltd., Alberta, Canada, 2004.
- Y. Y. Wang, Stability analysis of municipal solid waste landfills on slope [M.S. thesis], Department of Civil Engineering, National Chiao Tung University, Hsin-chu, Taiwan, 2007.
- G. B. Huang, Q. Y. Zhu, and C. K. Siew, “Extreme learning machine: theory and applications,” Neurocomputing, vol. 70, no. 1–3, pp. 489–501, 2006.
- Y. Yuan, Y. Wang, and F. Cao, “Optimization approximation solution for regression problem based on extreme learning machine,” Neurocomputing, vol. 74, pp. 2475–2482, 2011.
- Y. Wang, F. Cao, and Y. Yuan, “A study on effectiveness of extreme learning machine,” Neurocomputing, vol. 74, pp. 2483–2490, 2011.
- K. K. Phoon and F. H. Kulhawy, “Characterization of geotechnical variability,” Canadian Geotechnical Journal, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 612–624, 1999.
- J. M. Duncan, “Factors of safety and reliability in geotechnical engineering,” Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, vol. 126, no. 4, pp. 307–316, 2000.
- M. L. Shooman, Probabilistic Reliability: An Engineering Approach, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1968.
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Introduction to Probability and Reliability Methods for Use in Geotechnical Engineering, Engineering Technical Letter no. 1110-2-547, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Washington, DC, USA, 1995.
- G. W. Jia, T. L. T. Zhan, Y. M. Chen, and D. G. Fredlund, “Influence of rainfall pattern on the infiltration into landfill earthen final cover,” in Proceedings of the International Symposium on Geoenvironmental Engineering, pp. 641–645, Hang-zhou, China, September 2009.
- C. W. W. Ng and Q. Shi, “A numerical investigation of the stability of unsaturated soil slopes subjected to transient seepage,” Computers and Geotechnics, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 1–28, 1998.
- W. C. Li, L. M. Lee, H. Cai , H. J. Li, F. C. Dai, and M.L. Wang, “Combined roles of saturated permeability and rainfall characteristics on surficial failure of homogeneous soil slope,” Engineering Geology, vol. 153, pp. 105–113, 2013.