- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Mathematical Problems in Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 989381, 11 pages
A Numerical Algorithm for Solving Stiff Ordinary Differential Equations
1School of Distance Education, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 11800 Penang, Malaysia
2Department of Mathematics, Faculty of Science, Universiti Putra Malaysia, Selangor, 43400 Serdang, Malaysia
3Department of Mathematics, Faculty of Computer and Mathematical Sciences, Universiti Teknologi MARA, Selangor, 40450 Shah Alam, Malaysia
Received 6 August 2012; Revised 24 October 2012; Accepted 7 November 2012
Academic Editor: J. Rodellar
Copyright © 2013 S. A. M. Yatim et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. H. Enright, T. E. Hull, and B. Lindberg, “Comparing numerical methods for stiff systems of O.D.E:s,” BIT, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 10–48, 1975.
- G. D. Byrne, A. C. Hindmarsh, K. R. Jackson, and H. G. Brown, “A comparison of two ode codes: gear and episode,” Computers and Chemical Engineering, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 125–131, 1977.
- R. Sacks-Davis, “Fixed leading coefficient implementation of sd-formulas for stiff ODES,” ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 540–562, 1980.
- A. S. Mahmood, L. Casasús, and W. Al-Hayani, “The decomposition method for stiff systems of ordinary differential equations,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 167, no. 2, pp. 964–975, 2005.
- J. Ibáñez, V. Hernández, E. Arias, and P. A. Ruiz, “Solving initial value problems for ordinary differential equations by two approaches: BDF and piecewise-linearized methods,” Computer Physics Communications, vol. 180, no. 5, pp. 712–723, 2009.
- H. Aminikhah and J. Biazar, “A new analytical method for system of ODEs,” Numerical Methods for Partial Differential Equations, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 1115–1124, 2010.
- S. Abelman and K. C. Patidar, “Comparison of some recent numerical methods for initial-value problems for stiff ordinary differential equations,” Computers and Mathematics with Applications, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 733–744, 2008.
- L. F. Shampine and M. W. Reichelt, “The MATLAB ode suite,” SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 1–22, 1997.
- L. F. Shampine, M. W. Reichelt, and J. A. Kierzenka, “Solving index-I DAEs in MATLAB and simulink,” SIAM Review, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 538–552, 1999.
- T. Kato and K. Ikeuchi, “Variable order and variable step-size integration method for transient analysis programs,” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 206–213, 1991.
- Z. B. Ibrahim, M. Suleiman, and K. I. Othman, “Fixed coefficients block backward differentiation formulas for the numerical solution of stiff ordinary differential equations,” European Journal of Scientific Research, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 508–520, 2008.
- Z. B. Ibrahim, K. I. Othman, and M. B. Suleiman, “Variable step size block backward differentiation formula for solving stiff odes,” in Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering, vol. 2, pp. 785–789, London, UK, 2007.
- S. A. M. Yatim, Z. B. Ibrahim, K. I. Othman, and F. Ismail, “Fifth order variable step block backward differentiation formulae for solving stiff ODEs,” Proceedings of World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, vol. 62, pp. 998–1000, 2010.
- S. A. M. Yatim, Z. B. Ibrahim, K. I. Othman, and M. B. Suleiman, “Quantitative comparison of numerical method for solving stiff ordinary differential equations,” Mathematical Problems in Engineering, vol. 2011, Article ID 193691, 12 pages, 2011.
- J. D. Lambert, Computational Methods in Ordinary Differential Equation, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1991.
- K. R. Jackson, “The numerical solution of large systems of stiff IVPs for ODEs,” Applied Numerical Mathematics, vol. 20, no. 1-2, pp. 5–20, 1996.
- G. Hall and J. M. Watt, Modern Numerical Methods for Ordinary Differential Equations, Clarendon Press, Oxford, UK, 1976.
- P. Kaps and G. Wanner, “A study of Rosenbrock-type methods of high order,” Numerische Mathematik, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 279–298, 1981.