- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Malaria Research and Treatment
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 913857, 10 pages
Malaria Burden in Pregnancy at Mulago National Referral Hospital in Kampala, Uganda
1Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Mulago Hospital, Kampala, P.O. Box 7051, Uganda
2Department of Microbiology, Tumor and Cell Biology (MTC), Karolinska Institute, 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
3Department of Biochemistry, Makerere University, Kampala, P.O. Box 7072, Uganda
Received 19 May 2010; Accepted 26 August 2010
Academic Editor: Kwadwo Koram
Copyright © 2010 Fatuma Namusoke et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. J. Brabin, “An analysis of malaria in pregnancy in Africa,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 1005–1016, 1983.
- H. L. Guyatt and R. W. Snow, “Impact of malaria during pregnancy on low birth weight in sub-Saharan Africa,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 760–769, 2004.
- R. W. Steketee, B. L. Nahlen, M. E. Parise, and C. Menendez, “The burden of malaria in pregnancy in malaria-endemic areas,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 64, no. 1-2, pp. 28–35, 2001.
- H. L. Guyatt and R. W. Snow, “The epidemiology and burden of Plasmodium Falciparum-related anemia among pregnant women in sub-Saharan Africa,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 64, no. 1-2, pp. 36–44, 2001.
- T. Leenstra, P. A. Phillips-Howard, S. K. Kariuki et al., “Permethrin-treated bed nets in the prevention of malaria and anemia in adolescent schoolgirls in Western Kenya,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 68, no. 4, pp. 86–93, 2003.
- C. Menendez, J. Ordi, M. R. Ismail et al., “The impact of placental malaria on gestational age and birth weight,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 181, no. 5, pp. 1740–1745, 2000.
- S. J. Rogerson, N. R. Van den Broek, E. Chaluluka, C. Qongwane, C. G. Mhango, and M. E. Molyneux, “Malaria and anemia in antenatal women in Blantyre, Malawi: a twelve-month survey,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 335–340, 2000.
- A. Walker-Abbey, R. R. T. Djokam, A. Eno et al., “Malaria in pregnant Cameroonian women: the effect of age and gravidity on submicroscopic and mixed-species infections and multiple parasite genotypes,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 229–235, 2005.
- F. Nosten, F. ter Kuile, L. Maelankirri, B. Decludt, and N. J. White, “Malaria during pregnancy in an area of unstable endemicity,” Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 85, no. 4, pp. 424–429, 1991.
- H. L. Guyatt and R. W. Snow, “Malaria in pregnancy as an indirect cause of infant mortality in sub-Saharan Africa,” Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 95, no. 6, pp. 569–576, 2001.
- S. C. Murphy and J. G. Breman, “GAPS in the childhood malaria burden in Africa: cerebral malaria, neurological sequelae, anemia, respiratory distress, hypoglycemia, and complications of pregnancy,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 64, no. 1-2, pp. 57–67, 2001.
- M. C. Nunes and A. Scherf, “Plasmodium falciparum during pregnancy: a puzzling parasite tissue adhesion tropism,” Parasitology, vol. 134, no. 13, pp. 1863–1869, 2007.
- M. R. Ismail, J. Ordi, C. Menendez et al., “Placental pathology in malaria: a histological, immunohistochemical, and quantitative study,” Human Pathology, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 85–93, 2000.
- F. H. Verhoeff, B. J. Brabin, S. Van Buuren et al., “An analysis of intra-uterine growth retardation in rural Malawi,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 55, no. 8, pp. 682–689, 2001.
- A. Yeka, K. Banek, N. Bakyaita et al., “Artemisinin versus nonartemisinin combination therapy for uncomplicated malaria: randomized clinical trials from four sites in Uganda,” PLoS Medicine, vol. 2, no. 7, article e190, 2005.
- J. N. Bulmer, F. N. Rasheed, N. Francis, L. Morrison, and B. M. Greenwood, “Placental malaria. I. Pathological classification,” Histopathology, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 211–218, 1993.
- J. N. Bulmer, F. N. Rasheed, L. Morrison, N. Francis, and B. M. Greenwood, “Placental malaria. II. A semi-quantitative investigation of the pathological features,” Histopathology, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 219–225, 1993.
- S. J. Rogerson, P. Mkundika, and M. K. Kanjalal, “Diagnosis of Plasmodium falciparum malaria at delivery: comparison of blood film preparation methods and of blood films with histology,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 1370–1374, 2003.
- M. Fried, F. Nosten, A. Brockman, B. J. Brabin, and P. E. Duffy, “Maternal antibodies block malaria,” Nature, vol. 395, no. 6705, pp. 851–850, 1998.
- C. H. Ricke, T. Staalsoe, K. Koram et al., “Plasma antibodies from malaria-exposed pregnant women recognize variant surface antigens on Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytes in a parity-dependent manner and block parasite adhesion to chondroitin sulfate A,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 165, no. 6, pp. 3309–3316, 2000.
- J. G. Beeson, G. V. Brown, M. E. Molyneux, C. Mhango, F. Dzinjalamala, and S. J. Rogerson, “Plasmodium falciparum isolates from infected pregnant women and children are associated with distinct adhesive and antigenic properties,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 180, no. 2, pp. 464–472, 1999.
- M. Fried and P. E. Duffy, “Adherence of Plasmodium falciparum to chondroitin sulfate A in the human placenta,” Science, vol. 272, no. 5267, pp. 1502–1504, 1996.
- N. Rasti, F. Namusoke, A. Chêne et al., “Nonimmune immunoglobulin binding and multiple adhesion characterize Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytes of placental origin,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 103, no. 37, pp. 13795–13800, 2006.
- M. Desai, F. O. ter Kuile, F. Nosten et al., “Epidemiology and burden of malaria in pregnancy,” Lancet Infectious Diseases, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 93–104, 2007.
- R. W. Steketee, J. J. Wirima, L. Slutsker et al., “Malaria parasite infection during pregnancy and at delivery in mother, placenta, and newborn: efficacy of chloroquine and mefloquine in Rural Malawi,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 24–32, 1996.
- F. H. Verhoeff, B. J. Brabin, C. A. Hart, L. Chimsuku, P. Kazembe, and R. L. Broadhead, “Increased prevalence of malaria in HIV-infected pregnant women and its implications for malaria control,” Tropical Medicine and International Health, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 5–12, 1999.
- R. Ndyomugyenyi, N. Kabatereine, A. Olsen, and P. Magnussen, “Malaria and hookworm infections in relation to haemoglobin and serum ferritin levels in pregnancy in Masindi district, western Uganda,” Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 130–136, 2008.
- B. J. Brabin, C. Romagosa, S. Abdelgalil et al., “The sick placenta—the role of malaria,” Placenta, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 359–378, 2004.
- C. E. Shulman, T. Marshall, E. K. Dorman et al., “Malaria in pregnancy: adverse effects on haemoglobin levels and birthweight in primigravidae and multigravidae,” Tropical Medicine and International Health, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 770–778, 2001.
- L. Kalilani, I. Mofolo, M. Chaponda, S. J. Rogerson, and S. R. Meshnick, “The effect of timing and frequency of Plasmodium falciparum infection during pregnancy on the risk of low birth weight and maternal anemia,” Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 104, no. 6, pp. 416–422, 2010.
- C. Gamble, J. P. Ekwaru, and F. O. ter Kuile, “Insecticide-treated nets for preventing malaria in pregnancy,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 2, Article ID CD003755, 2006.