- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Malaria Research and Treatment
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 405981, 4 pages
Thrombocytopenia as an Indicator of Malaria in Adult Population
Hayat Abad Medical Complex, Postgraduate Medical Institute, Peshawar 25000, Pakistan
Received 24 December 2011; Revised 28 April 2012; Accepted 13 May 2012
Academic Editor: Neena Valecha
Copyright © 2012 Shiraz Jamal Khan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Ghosh and K. Ghosh, “Pathogenesis of anemia in malaria: a concise review,” Parasitology Research, vol. 101, no. 6, pp. 1463–1469, 2007.
- S. N. Wickramasinghe and S. H. Abdalla, “Blood and bone marrow changes in malaria,” Bailliere's Best Practice and Research in Clinical Haematology, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 277–299, 2000.
- V. D'Acremont, P. Landry, I. Mueller, A. Pécoud, and B. Genton, “Clinical and laboratory predictors of imported malaria in an outpatient setting: an aid to medical decision making in returning travelers with fever,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 66, no. 5, pp. 481–486, 2002.
- S. S. Jamal Khan, F. R. Khan, M. Usman, and S. Zahid, “Malaria can lead to thrombocytopenia,” Rawal Medical Journal, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 183–185, 2008.
- T. S. Faseela, R. A. Roche, K. B. Anita, C. S. Malli, and Y. Rai, “Diagnostic value of platelet count in malaria,” Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 464–466, 2011.
- A. Rasheed, S. Saeed, and S. A. Khan, “Platelet count in malaria,” Pakistan Journal of Phytopathology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 86–88, 2008.
- G. E. Grau, C. D. Mackenzie, R. A. Carr et al., “Platelet accumulation in brain microvessels in fatal pediatric cerebral malaria,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 187, no. 3, pp. 461–466, 2003.
- A. Pain, D. J. P. Ferguson, O. Kai et al., “Platelet-mediated clumping of Plasmodium falciparum erythrocytes is a common adhesive phenotype and is associated with severe malaria,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 98, no. 4, pp. 1805–1810, 2001.
- G. A. Niazi, “Haematological aspect of malaria in a population based hospital, Saudi Arabia,” Journal of the Egyptian Society of Parasitology, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 787–793, 1995.
- A. Mert, R. Ozaras, F. Tabak, M. Bilir, R. Ozturk, and Y. Aktuglu, “Malaria in Turkey: a review of 33 cases,” European Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 579–582, 2003.
- A. Mahmood and M. Yasir, “Thrombocytopenia : a predictor of malaria among febrile patients in Liberia,” Infectious Diseases Journal, vol. 14, pp. 41–44, 2008.
- T. B. Lathia and R. Joshi, “Can hematological parameters discriminate malaria from nonmalarious acute febrile illness in the tropics?” Indian Journal of Medical Sciences, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 239–244, 2004.
- U. Patel, G. Gandhi, S. Friedman, and S. Niranjan, “Thrombocytopenia in malaria,” Journal of the National Medical Association, vol. 96, no. 9, pp. 1212–1214, 2004.
- M. N. Akhtar, S. Jamil, S. I. Amjad, A. R. Butt, and M. Farooq, “Association of malaria with thrombocytopenia,” Annals of King Edward Medical College, vol. 11, pp. 536–537, 2005.
- Z. U. Rehman, M. Alam, A. Mahmood, A. Mubarik, A. Sattar, and K. A. Karamat, “Thrombocytopenia in acute malarial infection,” Pakistan Journal of Pathology, vol. 10, pp. 9–11, 1999.
- A. Aggarwal, S. Rath, and Shashiraj, “Plasmodium vivax malaria presenting with severe thrombocytopenia,” Journal of Tropical Pediatrics, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 120–121, 2005.
- N. M. Anstey, B. J. Currie, and M. E. Dyer, “Profound thrombocytopenia due to Plasmodium vivax malaria,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Medicine, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 169–170, 1992.
- V. Bhatia and J. Bhatia, “Severe thrombocytopenia with bleeding manifestations in two children secondary to Plasmodium vivax,” Platelets, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 307–309, 2010.
- R. Harish and S. Gupta, “Plasmodium vivax malaria presenting with severe thrombocytopenia, cerebral complications and hydrocephalus,” Indian Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 76, no. 5, pp. 551–552, 2009.
- U. M. Jadhav, V. S. Patkar, and N. N. Kadam, “Thrombocytopenia in malaria—correlation with type and severity of malaria,” Journal of Association of Physicians of India, vol. 52, pp. 615–618, 2004.
- A. Kakar, S. Bhoi, V. Prakash, and S. Kakar, “Profound thrombocytopenia in Plasmodium vivax malaria,” Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 243–244, 1999.
- D. Kaur, V. Wasir, S. Gulati, and A. Bagga, “Unusual presentation of Plasmodium vivax malaria with severe thrombocytopenia and acute renal failure,” Journal of Tropical Pediatrics, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 210–212, 2007.
- A. Kumar and Shashirekha, “Thrombocytopenia—an indicator of acute vivax malaria,” Indian Journal of Pathology and Microbiology, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 505–508, 2006.
- D. K. Kochar, A. Das, A. Kochar et al., “Thrombocytopenia in Plasmodium falciparum, Plasmodium vivax and mixed infection malaria: a study from Bikaner (Northwestern India),” Platelets, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 623–627, 2010.
- S. Srivastava, S. Ahmad, N. Shirazi, S. Kumar Verma, and P. Puri, “Retrospective analysis of vivax malaria patients presenting to tertiary referral centre of Uttarakhand,” Acta Tropica, vol. 117, no. 2, pp. 82–85, 2011.
- P. George and L. M. Alexander, “A study on the clinical profile of complicated Plasmodium vivax mono-infections,” Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine, vol. 3, no. 7, pp. 560–562, 2010.
- F. Yousef Khan, A. K. Lutof, M. A. Yassin et al., “Imported malaria in Qatar: a one year hospital-based study in 2005,” Travel Medicine and Infectious Disease, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 111–117, 2009.
- B. González, H. Rodulfo, M. De Donato, M. Berrizbeitia, C. Gómez, and L. González, “Hematologic variations in patient with malaria caused by Plasmodium vivax before, during and after treatment,” Investigacion Clinica, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 187–201, 2009.
- S. B. R. Silva, Avaliação da frequência e dos fatores associados à plaquetopenia causada pelo Plasmodium vivax [MSc Thesis], Universidade Federal do Mato Grosso, Mato Grosso, Brazil, 2009.
- M. Metanat and B. Sharifi-Mood, “Malaria vivax and severe thrombocytopenia in Iran,” Iranian Journal of Parasitology, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 69–70, 2010.