- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Malaria Research and Treatment
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 538481, 4 pages
In Vitro Chloroquine Resistance in Plasmodium falciparum Isolates from Tertiary Care Hospital
Department of Microbiology, Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh 202001, India
Received 27 May 2012; Revised 3 August 2012; Accepted 29 August 2012
Academic Editor: Neena Valecha
Copyright © 2012 Fatima Shujatullah et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. G. Ridley, “Medical need, scientific opportunity and the drive for antimalarial drugs,” Nature, vol. 415, no. 6872, pp. 686–693, 2002.
- K. H. Rieckmann, G. H. Campbell, L. J. Sax, and J. E. Mrema, “Drug sensitivity of Plasmodium falciparum. An in-vitro microtechnique.,” Lancet, vol. 1, no. 8054, pp. 22–23, 1978.
- World Health Organization, In Vitro Microtest (MARK II) for the Assessment of the Response of Plasmodium Falciparum to Chloroquine, Mefloquine, Quinine, Sulfadoxine/Pyrimentamine and Amodiaquine, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 1990.
- R. E. Desjardins, C. J. Canfield, J. D. Haynes, and J. D. Chulay, “Quantitative assessment of antimalarial activity in vitro by a semiautomated microdilution technique,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 710–718, 1979.
- M. T. Makler and D. J. Hinrichs, “Measurement of the lactate dehydrogenase activity of Plasmodium falciparum as an assessment of parasitemia,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 205–210, 1993.
- H. Noedl, W. H. Wernsdorfer, R. S. Miller, and C. Wongsrichanalai, “Histidine-rich protein II: a novel approach to malaria drug sensitivity testing,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 1658–1664, 2002.
- W. Trager and J. B. Jensen, “Human malaria parasites in continuous culture,” Science, vol. 193, no. 4254, pp. 673–675, 1976.
- J. D. Haynes, C. L. Diggs, F. A. Hines, and R. E. Desjardins, “Culture of human malaria parasites Plasmodium falciparum,” Nature, vol. 263, pp. 767–769, 1976.
- P. J. Guerin, P. Olliaro, F. Nosten et al., “Malaria: Current status of control, diagnosis, treatment, and a proposed agenda for research and development,” Lancet Infectious Diseases, vol. 2, no. 9, pp. 564–573, 2002.
- A. Ahmed, D. Bararia, S. Vinayak, et al., “Plasmodium falciparum, Hyde JE. Drug-resistant malaria,” Trends Parasitol, vol. 21, pp. 494–483, 2005.
- N. K. Shah, G. P. S. Dhillon, A. P. Dash, U. Arora, S. R. Meshnick, and N. Valecha, “Antimalarial drug resistance of Plasmodium falciparum in India: changes over time and space,” The Lancet Infectious Diseases, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 57–64, 2011.
- R. N. Prasad, H. Prasad, K. J. Virk, and V. P. Sharma, “Application of a simplified in-vivo test system for determining chloroquine resistance in Plasmodium falciparum,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 68, no. 6, pp. 755–758, 1990.
- V. K. Dua, P. K. Kar, S. Kumar, and V. P. Sharma, “In-vivo and in-vitro sensitivity of Plasmodium falciparum to chloroquine at Indian Oil Corporation, Mathura (U.P.),” Indian Journal of Malariology, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 29–35, 1993.
- H. Al-Shamahy, A. H. Al-Harazy, N. S. Harmal, and A. M. Al-Kabsi, “The prevalence and degree of resistance of Plasmodium falciparum to first-line antimalarial drugs: an in vitro study from a malaria endemic region in Yemen,” Annals of Saudi Medicine, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 432–436, 2007.