- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Multiple Sclerosis International
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 606807, 6 pages
Iron and Neurodegeneration in Multiple Sclerosis
1Department of Neurology, Medical University of Graz, A-8036 Graz, Austria
2NUBIN, Department of Clinical Chemistry, VU University Medical Center, 1007MB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Received 31 October 2010; Revised 26 December 2010; Accepted 2 January 2011
Academic Editor: Jeroen J. G. Geurts
Copyright © 2011 Michael Khalil et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [15 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Jesper Hagemeier, Mari Heininen-Brown, Guy U. Poloni, Niels Bergsland, Christopher R. Magnano, Jacqueline Durfee, Cheryl Kennedy, Ellen Carl, Bianca Weinstock-Guttman, Michael G. Dwyer, and Robert Zivadinov, “Iron deposition in multiple sclerosis lesions measured by susceptibility-weighted imaging filtered phase: A case control study,” Journal Of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 73–83, 2012.
- Xuan Chen, Chun Zeng, Tianyou Luo, Yu Ouyang, Fajin Lv, Reshiana Rumzan, Zhongping Wang, Qi Li, Jingjie Wang, Huanxin Hou, Fuhong Huang, and Yongmei Li, “Iron deposition of the deep grey matter in patients with multiple sclerosis and neuromyelitis optica: A control quantitative study by 3D-enhanced susceptibility-weighted angiography (ESWAN),” European Journal of Radiology, vol. 81, no. 4, pp. e633–e639, 2012.
- Jesper Hagemeier, Jeroen J. G. Geurts, and Robert Zivadinov, “Brain iron accumulation in aging and neurodegenerative disorders,” Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics, vol. 12, no. 12, pp. 1467–1480, 2012.
- S.J. Laukontaus, T. Kagayama, M. Lepäntalo, S. Atula, M. Färkkilä, A. Albäck, Y. Inoue, P. Tienari, and M. Venermo, “Doppler Ultrasound Examination of Multiple Sclerosis Patients and Control Participants: Inter-observer Agreement and Association with Disease,” European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, 2013.
- Jesper Hagemeier, E. Ann Yeh, Mari Heininen Brown, Niels Bergsland, Michael G. Dwyer, Ellen Carl, Bianca Weinstock-Guttman, and Robert Zivadinov, “Iron content of the pulvinar nucleus of the thalamus is increased in adolescent multiple sclerosis,” Multiple Sclerosis Journal, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 567–576, 2013.
- B. -R. Choi, S. Bang, Y. Chen, and J. H. Cheah, “Pka Modulates Iron Trafficking In The Striatum Via Small Gtpase, Rhes,” Neuroscience, vol. 253, pp. 214–220, 2013.
- Matilde Inglese, and Maria Petracca, “Imaging multiple sclerosis and other neurodegenerative diseases,” Prion, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 47–54, 2013.
- Danny Ionescu, Bettina Buchmann, Christine Heim, Stefan HÃ¤usler, Dirk de Beer, and Lubos Polerecky, “Oxygenic photosynthesis as a protection mechanism for cyanobacteria against iron-encrustation in environments with high Fe2+ concentrations,” Frontiers in Microbiology, vol. 5, 2014.
- Chantal Eid, Miryana Hemadi, and Jean-Michel El Hage Chahine, “Iron uptake and transfer from ceruloplasmin to transferrin,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta-General Subjects, vol. 1840, no. 6, pp. 1771–1781, 2014.
- James M. Stankiewicz, Mohit Neema, and Antonia Ceccarelli, “Iron and Multiple Sclerosis,” Neurobiology of Aging, 2014.
- Weiwei Chen, Susan A. Gauthier, Ajay Gupta, Joseph Comunale, Tian Liu, Shuai Wang, Mengchao Pei, David Pitt, and Yi Wang, “Quantitative Susceptibility Mapping of Multiple Sclerosis Lesions at Various Ages,” Radiology, vol. 271, no. 1, pp. 183–192, 2014.
- Stefano Magon, M. Mallar Chakravarty, Michael Amann, Katrin Weier, Yvonne Naegelin, Michaela Andelova, Ernst-Wilhelm Radue, Christoph Stippich, Jason P. Lerch, Ludwig Kappos, and Till Sprenger, “Label-fusion-segmentation and deformation-based shape analysis of deep gray matter in multiple sclerosis: The impact of thalamic subnuclei on disability,” Human Brain Mapping, 2014.
- Lukas Haider, Constantina Simeonidou, Guenther Steinberger, Simon Hametner, Nikolaos Grigoriadis, Georgia Deretzi, Gabor G. Kovacs, Alexandra Kutzelnigg, Hans Lassmann, and Josa M. Frischer, “Multiple sclerosis deep grey matter: the relation between demyelination, neurodegeneration, inflammation and iron,” Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 85, no. 12, pp. 1386–1395, 2014.
- M. Khalil, B. Riedlbauer, C. Langkammer, C. Enzinger, S. Ropele, T. Stojakovic, H. Scharnagl, V. Culea, A. Petzold, C. E. Teunissen, J-J Archelos, S. Fuchs, and F. Fazekas, “Cerebrospinal fluid transferrin levels are reduced in patients with early multiple sclerosis,” Multiple Sclerosis Journal, vol. 20, no. 12, pp. 1569–1577, 2014.
- Yongmei Li, Silin Du, Shambhu Kumar Sah, Chun Zeng, Jingjie Wang, Yi Liu, and Hua Xiong, ““Iron Deposition in the Gray Matter in Patients with Relapse-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis: A Longitudinal Study Using three-dimensional (3D)-enhanced T2*-weighted angiography (ESWAN)”,” European Journal of Radiology, 2015.