- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Multiple Sclerosis International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 862169, 6 pages
Where Do AQP4 Antibodies Fit in the Pathogenesis of NMO?
Department of Neurology, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, D4, 2-2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
Received 27 October 2011; Revised 28 December 2011; Accepted 4 January 2012
Academic Editor: Jerome de Seze
Copyright © 2012 Makoto Kinoshita and Yuji Nakatsuji. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. V. A. Lennon, D. M. Wingerchuk, T. J. Kryzer et al., “A serum autoantibody marker of neuromyelitis optica: distinction from multiple sclerosis,” The Lancet, vol. 364, no. 9451, pp. 2106–2112, 2004.
- V. A. Lennon, T. J. Kryzer, S. J. Pittock, A. S. Verkman, and S. R. Hinson, “IgG marker of optic-spinal multiple sclerosis binds to the aquaporin-4 water channel,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 202, no. 4, pp. 473–477, 2005.
- J. L. Bennett, C. Lam, S. R. Kalluri et al., “Intrathecal pathogenic anti-aquaporin-4 antibodies in early neuromyelitis optica,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 66, no. 5, pp. 617–629, 2009.
- M. Bradl, T. Misu, T. Takahashi et al., “Neuromyelitis optica: pathogenicity of patient immunoglobulin in vivo,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 66, no. 5, pp. 630–643, 2009.
- M. Kinoshita, Y. Nakatsuji, T. Kimura et al., “Neuromyelitis optica: passive transfer to rats by human immunoglobulin,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 386, no. 4, pp. 623–627, 2009.
- S. Saadoun, P. Waters, B. A. Bell, A. Vincent, A. S. Verkman, and M. C. Papadopoulos, “Intra-cerebral injection of neuromyelitis optica immunoglobulin G and human complement produces neuromyelitis optica lesions in mice,” Brain, vol. 133, no. 2, pp. 349–361, 2010.
- S. Watanabe, I. Nakashima, T. Misu et al., “Therapeutic efficacy of plasma exchange in NMO-IgG-positive patients with neuromyelitis optica,” Multiple Sclerosis, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 128–132, 2007.
- K. Miyamoto and S. Kusunoki, “Intermittent plasmapheresis prevents recurrence in neuromyelitis optica,” Therapeutic Apheresis and Dialysis, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 505–508, 2009.
- T. Takahashi, K. Fujihara, I. Nakashima et al., “Anti-aquaporin-4 antibody is involved in the pathogenesis of NMO: a study on antibody titre,” Brain, vol. 130, no. 5, pp. 1235–1243, 2007.
- S. Jarius, F. Aboul-Enein, P. Waters et al., “Antibody to aquaporin-4 in the long-term course of neuromyelitis optica,” Brain, vol. 131, no. 11, pp. 3072–3080, 2008.
- I. Dujmovic, S. Mader, K. Schanda et al., “Temporal dynamics of cerebrospinal fluid anti-aquaporin-4 antibodies in patients with neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders,” Journal of Neuroimmunology, vol. 234, no. 1-2, pp. 124–130, 2011.
- T. Misu, K. Fujihara, A. Kakita et al., “Loss of aquaporin 4 in lesions of neuromyelitis optica: distinction from multiple sclerosis,” Brain, vol. 130, no. 5, pp. 1224–1234, 2007.
- S. F. Roemer, J. E. Parisi, V. A. Lennon et al., “Pattern-specific loss of aquaporin-4 immunoreactivity distinguishes neuromyelitis optica from multiple sclerosis,” Brain, vol. 130, no. 5, pp. 1194–1205, 2007.
- M. Kinoshita, Y. Nakatsuji, M. Moriya et al., “Astrocytic necrosis is induced by anti-aquaporin-4 antibody-positive serum,” NeuroReport, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 508–512, 2009.
- L. Sabater, A. Giralt, A. Boronat et al., “Cytotoxic effect of neuromyelitis optica antibody (NMO-IgG) to astrocytes: an in vitro study,” Journal of Neuroimmunology, vol. 215, no. 1-2, pp. 31–35, 2009.
- S. R. Hinson, S. F. Roemer, C. F. Lucchinetti et al., “Aquaporin-4-binding autoantibodies in patients with neuromyelitis optica impair glutamate transport by down-regulating EAAT2,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 205, no. 11, pp. 2473–2481, 2008.
- T. Vincent, P. Saikali, R. Cayrol et al., “Functional consequences of neuromyelitis optica-IgG astrocyte interactions on blood-brain barrier permeability and granulocyte recruitment,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 181, no. 8, pp. 5730–5737, 2008.
- C. F. Lucchinetti, R. N. Mandler, D. McGavern et al., “A role for humoral mechanisms in the pathogenesis of Devic's neuromyelitis optica,” Brain, vol. 125, no. 7, pp. 1450–1461, 2002.
- S. R. Hinson, S. J. Pittock, C. F. Lucchinetti et al., “Pathogenic potential of IgG binding to water channel extracellular domain in neuromyelitis optica,” Neurology, vol. 69, no. 24, pp. 2221–2231, 2007.
- M. Kinoshita, Y. Nakatsuji, T. Kimura et al., “Anti-aquaporin-4 antibody induces astrocytic cytotoxicity in the absence of CNS antigen-specific T cells,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 394, no. 1, pp. 205–210, 2010.
- J.-I. Kira, “Autoimmunity in neuromyelitis optica and opticospinal multiple sclerosis: astrocytopathy as a common denominator in demyelinating disorders,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 311, no. 1-2, pp. 69–77, 2011.
- S. Jarius, F. Paul, D. Franciotta et al., “Mechanisms of disease: aquaporin-4 antibodies in neuromyelitis optica,” Nature Clinical Practice Neurology, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 202–214, 2008.
- T. Matsushita, N. Isobe, T. Matsuoka et al., “Aquaporin-4 autoimmune syndrome and anti-aquaporin-4 antibody-negative opticospinal multiple sclerosis in Japanese,” Multiple Sclerosis, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 834–847, 2009.
- S. Nishiyama, T. Ito, T. Misu et al., “A case of NMO seropositive for aquaporin-4 antibody more than 10 years before onset,” Neurology, vol. 72, no. 22, pp. 1960–1961, 2009.
- B. Diamond, P. T. Huerta, P. Mina-Osorio, C. Kowal, and B. T. Volpe, “Losing your nerves? Maybe it's the antibodies,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 449–456, 2009.
- T. Miwa and W. C. Song, “Membrane complement regulatory proteins: insight from animal studies and relevance to human diseases,” International Immunopharmacology, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 445–459, 2001.
- H. Rus, C. Cudrici, S. David, and F. Niculescu, “The complement system in central nervous system diseases,” Autoimmunity, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 395–402, 2006.
- A. Billiau and P. Matthys, “Modes of action of Freund's adjuvants in experimental models of autoimmune diseases,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 70, no. 6, pp. 849–860, 2001.
- V. Raghavendra, F. Y. Tanga, and J. A. DeLeo, “Complete Freunds adjuvant-induced peripheral inflammation evokes glial activation and proinflammatory cytokine expression in the CNS,” European Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 467–473, 2004.
- K. Miyamoto, N. Nagaosa, M. Motoyama, K. Kataoka, and S. Kusunoki, “Upregulation of water channel aquaporin-4 in experimental autoimmune encephalomyeritis,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 276, no. 1-2, pp. 103–107, 2009.
- S. R. Kalluri, V. Rothhammer, O. Staszewski et al., “Functional characterization of aquaporin-4 specific t cells: towards a model for Neuromyelitis optica,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 1, Article ID e16083, 2011.
- M. Pohl, M.-T. Fischer, S. Mader et al., “Pathogenic T cell responses against aquaporin 4,” Acta Neuropathologica, vol. 122, no. 1, pp. 21–34, 2011.
- N. Matsuya, M. Komori, K. Nomura et al., “Increased T-cell immunity against aquaporin-4 and proteolipid protein in neuromyelitis optica,” International Immunology, vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 565–573, 2011.
- H. Ochi, X. M. Wu, M. Osoegawa et al., “Tc1/Tc2 and Th1/Th2 balance in Asian and Western types of multiple sclerosis, HTLV-I-associated myelopathy/tropical spastic paraparesis and hyperIgEaemic myelitis,” Journal of Neuroimmunology, vol. 119, no. 2, pp. 297–305, 2001.
- Y. Li, H. Wang, Y. Long, Z. Lu, and X. Hu, “Increased memory Th17 cells in patients with neuromyelitis optica and multiple sclerosis,” Journal of Neuroimmunology, vol. 234, no. 1-2, pp. 155–160, 2011.
- H. H. Wang, Y. Q. Dai, W. Qiu et al., “Interleukin-17-secreting T cells in neuromyelitis optica and multiple sclerosis during relapse,” Journal of Clinical Neuroscience, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 1313–1317, 2011.
- D. M. Wingerchuk, V. A. Lennon, C. F. Lucchinetti, S. J. Pittock, and B. G. Weinshenker, “The spectrum of neuromyelitis optica,” The Lancet Neurology, vol. 6, no. 9, pp. 805–815, 2007.
- J. Goverman, “Autoimmune T cell responses in the central nervous system,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 393–407, 2009.
- H. S. Domingues, M. Mues, H. Lassmann, H. Wekerle, and G. Krishnamoorthy, “Functional and pathogenic differences of Th1 and Th17 cells in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis,” PLoS ONE, vol. 5, no. 11, Article ID e15531, 2010.
- A. McKeon, V. A. Lennon, T. Lotze et al., “CNS aquaporin-4 autoimmunity in children,” Neurology, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 93–100, 2008.
- T. Matsuoka, T. Matsushita, Y. Kawano et al., “Heterogeneity of aquaporin-4 autoimmunity and spinal cord lesions in multiple sclerosis in Japanese,” Brain, vol. 130, no. 5, pp. 1206–1223, 2007.
- S. Jarius and B. Wildemann, “AQP4 antibodies in neuromyelitis optica: diagnostic and pathogenetic relevance,” Nature Reviews Neurology, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 383–392, 2010.
- W. Kim, J. E. Lee, X. F. Li et al., “Quantitative measurement of anti-aquaporin-4 antibodies by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay using purified recombinant human aquaporin-4,” Multiple Sclerosis. In press.
- Y. Wang, W. Luo, and G. Reiser, “Proteinase-activated receptor-1 and -2 induce the release of chemokine GRO/CINC-1 from rat astrocytes via differential activation of JNK isoforms, evoking multiple protective pathways in brain,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 401, no. 1, pp. 65–78, 2007.
- A. C. Jauneau, A. Ischenko, P. Chan, and M. Fontaine, “Complement component anaphylatoxins upregulate chemokine expression by human astrocytes,” FEBS Letters, vol. 537, no. 1–3, pp. 17–22, 2003.
- L. Tradtrantip., H. Zhang., S. Saadoun. et al., “Anti-aquaporin-4 monoclonal antibody blocker therapy for neuromyelitis optica,” Annals of Neurology. In press.
- J. Ratelade, J. L. Bennett, and A. S. Verkman, “Intravenous neuromyelitis optica autoantibody in mice targets aquaporin-4 in peripheral organs and area postrema,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 11, Article ID e27412, 2011.
- S. R. Hinson, A. McKeon, J. P. Fryer, M. Apiwattanakul, V. A. Lennon, and S. J. Pittock, “Prediction of neuromyelitis optica attack severity by quantitation of complement-mediated injury to aquaporin-4-expressing cells,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 66, no. 9, pp. 1164–1167, 2009.