- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Multiple Sclerosis International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 286581, 7 pages
Fatigue and Sleep-Disordered Breathing in Multiple Sclerosis: A Clinically Relevant Association?
1Department of Neurology, University Hospital Zurich, Frauenklinikstraße 26, 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
2Department of Neurology, Kamillus-Klinik, Hospitalstrasse 6, 53567 Asbach, Germany
3Department of Neurology, University of Bern, Inselspital, Freiburgstrasse 10, 3010 Bern, Switzerland
Received 12 June 2013; Revised 30 August 2013; Accepted 11 September 2013
Academic Editor: Francesca Bagnato
Copyright © 2013 Ulf Kallweit et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. B. Krupp, L. A. Alvarez, N. G. LaRocca, and L. C. Scheinberg, “Fatigue in multiple sclerosis,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 435–437, 1988.
- J. D. Fisk, A. Pontefract, P. G. Ritvo, C. J. Archibald, and T. J. Murray, “The impact of fatigue on patients with multiple sclerosis,” Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 9–14, 1994.
- P. Branas, R. Jordan, A. Fry-Smith, A. Burls, and C. Hyde, “Treatments for fatigue in multiple sclerosis: a rapid and systematic review,” Health Technology Assessment, vol. 4, no. 27, pp. 1–61, 2000.
- B. Stankoff, E. Waubant, C. Confavreux et al., “Modafinil for fatigue in MS: a randomized placebo-controlled double-blind study,” Neurology, vol. 64, no. 7, pp. 1139–1143, 2005.
- N. Tachinana, R. S. Howard, N. P. Hursch, D. H. Miller, I. F. Moseley, and D. Fish, “Sleep problems in multiple sclerosis,” European Neurology, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 320–323, 1994.
- H. P. Attarian, K. M. Brown, S. P. Duntley, J. D. Carter, and A. H. Cross, “The relationship of sleep disturbances and fatigue in multiple sclerosis,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 525–528, 2004.
- S. D. Brass, P. Duquette, J. Proulx-Therrien, and S. Auerbach, “Sleep disorders in patients with multiple sclerosis,” Sleep Medicine Reviews, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 121–129, 2010.
- R. J. Mills and C. A. Young, “The relationship between fatigue and other clinical features of multiple sclerosis,” Multiple Sclerosis, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 604–612, 2011.
- C. Veauthier, H. RadbruC.H., G. Gaede et al., “Fatigue in multiple sclerosis is closely related to sleep disorders: a polysomnographic cross-sectional study,” Multiple Sclerosis, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 613–622, 2011.
- M. Kaminska, R. J. Kimoff, K. Schwartzman, and D. A. Trojan, “Sleep disorders and fatigue in multiple sclerosis: evidence for association and interaction,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 302, no. 1-2, pp. 7–13, 2011.
- T. J. Braley, B. M. Segal, and R. D. Chervin, “Sleep-disordered breathing in multiple sclerosis,” Neurology, vol. 79, pp. 929–936, 2012.
- M. Kaminska, R. J. Kimoff, A. Benedetti, et al., “Obstructive sleep apnea is associated with fatigue in multiple sclerosis,” Multiple Sclerosis, vol. 18, pp. 1159–1169, 2012.
- I. Côté, D. A. Trojan, M. Kaminska, et al., “Impact of sleep disorder treatment on fatigue in multiple sclerosis,” Multiple Sclerosis, vol. 19, pp. 480–489, 2013.
- C. Veauthier, G. Gaede, H. Radbruch, S. Gottschalk, K. D. Wernecke, and F. Paul, “Treatment of sleep disorders may improve fatigue in multiple sclerosis,” Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery, vol. 115, no. 9, pp. 1826–1830.
- C. H. Polman, S. C. Reingold, G. Edan et al., “Diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis: 2005 Revisions to the “McDonald Criteria”,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 840–846, 2005.
- L. B. Krupp, N. G. LaRocca, J. Muir-Nash, and A. D. Steinberg, “The fatigue severity scale. Application to patients with multiple sclerosis and systemic lupus erythematosus,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 46, no. 10, pp. 1121–1123, 1989.
- P. O. Valko, C. L. Bassetti, K. E. Bloch, U. Held, and C. R. Baumann, “Validation of the fatigue severity scale in a Swiss cohort,” Sleep, vol. 31, no. 11, pp. 1601–1607, 2008.
- L. M. Tomfohr, S. Ancoli-Israel, J. S. Loredo, and J. E. Dimsdale, “Effects of continuous positive airway pressure on fatigue and sleepiness in patients with obstructive sleep apnea: data from a randomized controlled trial,” Sleep, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 121–126, 2011.
- M. W. Johns, “A new method for measuring daytime sleepiness: the Epworth sleepiness scale,” Sleep, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 540–545, 1991.
- K. E. Bloch, O. D. Schoch, J. N. Zhang, and E. W. Russi, “German version of the Epworth Sleepiness Scale,” Respiration, vol. 66, no. 5, pp. 440–447, 1999.
- J. F. Kurtzke, “Rating neurologic impairment in multiple sclerosis: an expanded disability status scale (EDSS),” Neurology, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 1444–1452, 1983.
- C. Selic, M. M. Siccoli, D. M. Hermann, and C. L. Bassetti, “Blood pressure evolution after acute ischemic stroke in patients with and without sleep apnea,” Stroke, vol. 36, no. 12, pp. 2614–2618, 2005.
- C. Iber, S. Ancoli-Israel, and A. Chesson, “Quan SF for the American Academy of Sleep Medicine,” in The AASM Manual for the Scoring of Sleep and Associated Events: Rules, Terminology and Technical Specifications, American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Westchester, Ill, USA, 1st edition, 2007.
- M. Kaminska, R. J. Kimoff, A. Benedetti, et al., “Obstructive sleep apnea is associated with fatigue in multiple,” Multiple Sclerosis, vol. 19, pp. 372–373, 2013.
- B. W. Wunderlin, J. Kesselring, H. Ginzler, B. Walser, M. Kuhn, and W. H. Reinhart, “Fatigue in multiple sclerosis is not due to sleep apnoea,” European Journal of Neurology, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 72–78, 1997.
- H. Kaynak, A. Altintaş, D. Kaynak et al., “Fatigue and sleep disturbance in multiple sclerosis,” European Journal of Neurology, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. 1333–1339, 2006.
- N. Putzki, Z. Katsarava, S. Vago, H. C. Diener, and V. Limmroth, “Prevalence and severity of multiple-sclerosis-associated fatigue in treated and untreated patients,” European Neurology, vol. 59, no. 3-4, pp. 136–142, 2008.
- R. Bakshi, Z. A. Shaikh, R. S. Miletich et al., “Fatigue in multiple sclerosis and its relationship to depression and neurologic disability,” Multiple Sclerosis, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 181–185, 2000.
- V. Janardhan and R. Bakshi, “Quality of life in patients with multiple sclerosis: the impact of fatigue and depression,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 205, no. 1, pp. 51–58, 2002.
- A. J. Mitchell, J. Benito-León, J.-M. M. González, and J. Rivera-Navarro, “Quality of life and its assessment in multiple sclerosis: integrating physical and psychological components of wellbeing,” Lancet Neurology, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 556–566, 2005.
- M. M. Siccoli, J. C. T. Pepperell, M. Kohler, S. E. Craig, R. J. O. Davies, and J. R. Stradling, “Effects of continuous positive airway pressure on quality of life in patients with moderate to severe obstructive sleep apnea: data from a randomized controlled trial,” Sleep, vol. 31, no. 11, pp. 1551–1558, 2008.
- J. M. Montserrat, M. Ferrer, L. Hernandez et al., “Effectiveness of CPAP treatment in daytime function in sleep apnea syndrome: a randomized controlled study with an optimized placebo,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 164, no. 4, pp. 608–613, 2001.
- W. Chotinaiwattarakul, L. M. O'Brien, L. Fan, and R. D. Chervin, “Fatigue, tiredness, and lack of energy improve with treatment for OSA,” Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 222–227, 2009.
- A. Haensel, D. Norman, L. Natarajan, W. A. Bardwell, S. Ancoli-Israel, and J. E. Dimsdale, “Effect of a 2 week CPAP treatment on mood states in patients with obstructive sleep apnea: a double-blind trial,” Sleep and Breathing, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 239–244, 2007.
- B.-H. Yu, S. Ancoli-Israel, and J. E. Dimsdale, “Effect of CPAP treatment on mood states in patients with sleep apnea,” Journal of Psychiatric Research, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 427–432, 1999.
- J. P. Neau, J. Paquereau, and V. Auche, “Sleep disorders and multiple sclerosis: a clinical and polysomnography study,” European Neurology, vol. 68, pp. 8–15, 2012.
- T. L. Giles, T. J. Lasserson, B. J. Smith, J. White, J. Wright, and C. J. Cates, “Continuous positive airways pressure for obstructive sleep apnoea in adults,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 1, Article ID CD001106, 2006.
- S. Merkelbach, H. Schulz, H. W. Kölmel et al., “What have fatigue and sleepiness in common?” Journal of Sleep Research, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 105–106, 2006.
- J. L. Hossain, P. Ahmad, L. W. Reinish, L. Kayumov, N. K. Hossain, and C. M. Shapiro, “Subjective fatigue and subjective sleepiness: two independent consequences of sleep disorders?” Journal of Sleep Research, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 245–253, 2005.
- M. Schürks and P. Bussfeld, “Multiple sclerosis and restless legs syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” European Journal of Neurology, vol. 20, pp. 605–615, 2013.
- N. Téllez, J. Río, M. Tintoré, C. Nos, I. Galán, and X. Montalban, “Does the modified fatigue impact scale offer a more comprehensive assessment of fatigue in MS?” Multiple Sclerosis, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 198–202, 2005.