- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 894374, 14 pages
Nestin Reporter Transgene Labels Multiple Central Nervous System Precursor Cells
1Department of Pediatrics, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611-3008, USA
2Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
3Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, One Bungtown Road, Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724, USA
4Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Biological Chemistry, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611-3008, USA
5Department of Pathology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611-3008, USA
Received 28 July 2010; Revised 18 November 2010; Accepted 27 December 2010
Academic Editor: Małgorzata Kossut
Copyright © 2010 Avery S. Walker et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Hockfield and R. D. G. McKay, “Identification of major cell classes in the developing mammalian nervous system,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 5, no. 12, pp. 3310–3328, 1985.
- K. Frederikson and R. D. G. McKay, “Proliferation and differentiation of rat neuroepithelial precursor cells in vivo,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 1144–1151, 1988.
- U. Lendahl, L. B. Zimmerman, and R. D. G. McKay, “CNS stem cells express a new class of intermediate filament protein,” Cell, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 585–595, 1990.
- P. Malatesta, E. Hartfuss, and M. Götz, “Isolation of radial glial cells by fluorescent-activated cell sorting reveals a neural lineage,” Development, vol. 127, no. 24, pp. 5253–5263, 2000.
- S. C. Noctor, A. C. Flint, T. A. Weissman, R. S. Dammerman, and A. R. Kriegstein, “Neurons derived from radial glial cells establish radial units in neocortex,” Nature, vol. 409, no. 6821, pp. 714–720, 2001.
- L. Zimmerman, U. Lendahl, M. Cunningham et al., “Independent regulatory elements in the nestin gene direct transgene expression to neural stem cells or muscle precursors,” Neuron, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 11–24, 1994.
- Y. Aoki, Z. Huang, S. S. Thomas et al., “Increased susceptibility to ischemia-induced brain damage in transgenic mice overexpressing a dominant negative form of SHP2,” FASEB Journal, vol. 14, no. 13, pp. 1965–1973, 2000.
- M. Yamaguchi, H. Saito, M. Suzuki, and K. Mori, “Visualization of neurogenesis in the central nervous system using nestin promoter-GFP transgenic mice,” NeuroReport, vol. 11, no. 9, pp. 1991–1996, 2000.
- A. Kawaguchi, T. Miyata, K. Sawamoto et al., “Nestin-EGFP transgenic mice: visualization of the self-renewal and multipotency of CNS stem cells,” Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 259–273, 2001.
- G. Kronenberg, K. Reuter, B. Steiner et al., “Subpopulations of proliferating cells of the adult hippocampus respond differently to physiologic neurogenic stimuli,” Journal of Comparative Neurology, vol. 467, no. 4, pp. 455–463, 2003.
- R. D. Beech, M. A. Cleary, H. B. Treloar et al., “Nestin promoter/enhancer directs transgene expression to precursors of adult generated periglomerular neurons,” Journal of Comparative Neurology, vol. 475, no. 1, pp. 128–141, 2004.
- J. L. Mignone, V. Kukekov, A. S. Chiang, D. Steindler, and G. Enikolopov, “Neural stem and progenitor cells in nestin-GFP transgenic mice,” Journal of Comparative Neurology, vol. 469, no. 3, pp. 311–324, 2004.
- T. S. Yu, M. Dandekar, L. M. Monteggia, L. F. Parada, and S. G. Kernie, “Temporally regulated expression of Cre recombinase in neural stem cells,” Genesis, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 147–153, 2005.
- D. C. Lagace, M. C. Whitman, M. A. Noonan et al., “Dynamic contribution of nestin-expressing stem cells to adult neurogenesis,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 27, no. 46, pp. 12623–12629, 2007.
- C. Giachino and V. Taylor, “Lineage analysis of quiescent regenerative stem cells in the adult brain by genetic labelling reveals spatially restricted neurogenic niches in the olfactory bulb,” European Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 9–24, 2009.
- G. Feng, R. H. Mellor, M. Bernstein et al., “Imaging neuronal subsets in transgenic mice expressing multiple spectral variants of GFP,” Neuron, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 41–51, 2000.
- B. A. Reynolds and S. Weiss, “Generation of neurons and astrocytes from isolated cells of the adult mammalian central nervous system,” Science, vol. 255, no. 5052, pp. 1707–1710, 1992.
- N. S. Roy, A. Benraiss, SU. Wang et al., “Promoter-targeted selection and isolation of neural progenitor cells from the adult human ventricular zone,” Journal of Neuroscience Research, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 321–331, 2000.
- A. Okada, R. Lansford, J. M. Weimann, S. E. Fraser, and S. K. McConnell, “Imaging cells in the developing nervous system with retrovirus expressing modified green fluorescent protein,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 156, no. 2, pp. 394–406, 1999.
- F. Doetsch, J. M. García-Verdugo, and A. Alvarez-Buylla, “Cellular composition and three-dimensional organization of the subventricular germinal zone in the adult mammalian brain,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 17, no. 13, pp. 5046–5061, 1997.
- F. Doetsch, I. Caille, D. A. Lim, J. M. Garcia-Verdugo, and A. Alvarez-Buylla, “Subventricular zone astrocytes are neural stem cells in the adult mammalian brain,” Cell, vol. 97, no. 6, pp. 703–716, 1999.
- F. Doetsch, L. Petreanu, I. Caille, J. M. Garcia-Verdugo, and A. Alvarez-Buylla, “EGF converts transit-amplifying neurogenic precursors in the adult brain into multipotent stem cells,” Neuron, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 1021–1034, 2002.
- C. M. Parras, R. Galli, O. Britz et al., “Mash1 specifies neurons and oligodendrocytes in the postnatal brain,” The EMBO Journal, vol. 23, no. 22, pp. 4495–4505, 2004.
- S. Sahin Kaya, A. Mahmood, Y. Li, E. Yavuz, and M. Chopp, “Expression of nestin after traumatic brain injury in rat brain,” Brain Research, vol. 840, no. 1-2, pp. 153–157, 1999.
- G. Almazán, J. M. Vela, E. Molina-Holgado, and C. Guaza, “Re-evaluation of nestin as a marker of oligodendrocyte lineage cells,” Microscopy Research and Technique, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 753–765, 2001.
- A. Yokoyama, L. Yang, S. Itoh, K. Mori, and J. Tanaka, “Microglia, a potential source of neurons, astrocytes, and oligodendrocytes,” Glia, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 96–104, 2004.
- S. R. Clarke, A. K. Shetty, J. L. Bradley, and D. A. Turner, “Reactive astrocytes express the embryonic intermediate neurofilament nestin,” NeuroReport, vol. 5, no. 15, pp. 1885–1888, 1994.
- F. G. Szele, C. Alexander, and M. F. Cheeselet, “Expression of molecules associated with neuronal plasticity in the striatum after aspiration and thermocoagulatory lesions of the cerebral cortex in adult rats,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 4429–4448, 1995.
- J. Stenman, H. Toresson, and K. Campbell, “Identification of two distinct progenitor populations in the lateral ganglionic eminence: implications for striatal and olfactory bulb neurogenesis,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 167–174, 2003.
- S. A. Bayer, J. Altman, R. J. Russo, X. Dai, and J. A. Simmons, “Cell migration in the rat embryonic neocortex,” Journal of Comparative Neurology, vol. 307, no. 3, pp. 499–516, 1991.
- N. L. Sundholm-Peters, H. K. C. Yang, G. E. Goings, A. S. Walker, and F. G. Szele, “Radial glia-like cells at the base of the lateral ventricles in adult mice,” Journal of Neurocytology, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 153–164, 2004.
- H. K. C. Yang, N. L. Sundholm-Peters, G. E. Goings, A. S. Walker, K. Hyland, and F. G. Szele, “Distribution of doublecortin expressing cells near the lateral ventricles in the adult mouse brain,” Journal of Neuroscience Research, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 282–295, 2004.
- C. B. Johansson, S. Momma, D. L. Clarke, M. Risling, U. Lendahl, and J. Frisén, “Identification of a neural stem cell in the adult mammalian central nervous system,” Cell, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 25–34, 1999.
- B. J. Chiasson, V. Tropepe, C. M. Morshead, and D. van der Kooy, “Adult mammalian forebrain ependymal and subependymal cells demonstrate proliferative potential, but only subependymal cells have neural stem cell characteristics,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 4462–4471, 1999.
- A. Capela and S. Temple, “LeX/ssea-1 is expressed by adult mouse CNS stem cells, identifying them as nonependymal,” Neuron, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 865–875, 2002.
- C. N. Sang, Y. Kim, D. Dryanovski et al., “Dynamic features of postnatal subventricular zone cell motility: a two-photon time-lapse study,” Journal of Comparative Neurology, vol. 505, no. 2, pp. 190–208, 2007.
- Y. Kim, I. Comte, G. Szabo, P. Hockberger, and F. G. Szele, “Adult mouse subventricular zone stem and progenitor cells are sessile and epidermal growth factor receptor negatively regulates neuroblast migration,” PloS One, vol. 4, no. 12, article e8122, 2009.
- G. Kronenberg, L. P. Wang, M. Synowitz et al., “Nestin-expressing cells divide and adopt a complex electrophysiologic phenotype after transient brain ischemia,” Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, vol. 25, no. 12, pp. 1613–1624, 2005.
- J. D. Koch, D. K. Miles, J. A. Gilley, C. P. Yang, and S. G. Kernie, “Brief exposure to hyperoxia depletes the glial progenitor pool and impairs functional recovery after hypoxic-ischemic brain injury,” Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 1294–1306, 2008.
- D. K. Miles and S. G. Kernie, “Hypoxic-ischemic brain injury activates early hippocampal stem/progenitor cells to replace vulnerable neuroblasts,” Hippocampus, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 793–806, 2008.
- P. J. Yaworsky and C. Kappen, “Heterogeneity of neural progenitor cells revealed by enhancers in the nestin gene,” Developmental Biology, vol. 205, no. 2, pp. 309–321, 1999.
- G. E. Goings, B. L. Wibisono, and F. G. Szele, “Cerebral cortex lesions decrease the number of bromodeoxyuridine-positive subventricular zone cells in mice,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 329, no. 2, pp. 161–164, 2002.
- G. E. Goings, V. Sahni, and F. G. Szele, “Migration patterns of subventricular zone cells in adult mice change after cerebral cortex injury,” Brain Research, vol. 996, no. 2, pp. 213–226, 2004.
- G. E. Goings, D. A. Kozlowski, and F. G. Szele, “Differential activation of microglia in neurogenic versus non-neurogenic regions of the forebrain,” Glia, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 329–342, 2006.
- G. Panganiban, A. Sebring, L. Nagy, and S. Carroll, “Development of crustacean limbs and the evolution of arthropods,” Science, vol. 270, no. 5240, pp. 1363–1366, 1995.