- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 867525, 7 pages
Suspension of Mitotic Activity in Dentate Gyrus of the Hibernating Ground Squirrel
1Institute of Cell Biophysics, Russian Academy of Sciences, Pushchino, 142290, Russia
2Department of Life Sciences, Faculty of Science, The Open University, Walton Hall, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA, UK
Received 1 November 2010; Revised 5 January 2011; Accepted 10 March 2011
Academic Editor: Anthony Hannan
Copyright © 2011 Victor I. Popov et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. I. Popov, L. S. Bocharova, and A. G. Bragin, “Repeated changes of dendritic morphology in the hippocampus of ground squirrels in the course of hibernation,” Neuroscience, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 45–51, 1992.
- V. I. Popov, N. I. Medvedev, I. V. Patrushev, D. A. Ignat'ev, E. D. Morenkov, and M. G. Stewart, “Reversible reduction in dendritic spines in CA1 of rat and ground squirrel subjected to hypothermia-normothermia in vivo: a three-dimensional electron microscope study,” Neuroscience, vol. 149, no. 3, pp. 549–560, 2007.
- V. I. Popov, I. V. Kraev, D. Banks et al., “Three-dimensional ultrastructural and immunohistochemical study of immature neurons in the subgranular zone of the rat dentate gyrus,” Biophysics, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 497–512, 2009.
- J. E. Sisken, L. Morasca, and S. Kibby, “Effects of temperature on the kinetics of the mitotic cycle of mammalian cells in culture,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 103–116, 1965.
- C. L. Rieder and R. W. Cole, “Cold-shock and the Mammalian cell cycle,” Cell Cycle, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 169–175, 2002.
- A. Alvarez-Buylla and J. M. García-Verdugo, “Neurogenesis in adult subventricular zone,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 629–634, 2002.
- P. Rakic, “Adult neurogenesis in mammals: an identity crisis,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 614–618, 2002.
- E. Gould, A. Beylin, P. Tanapat, A. Reeves, and T. J. Shors, “Learning enhances adult neurogenesis in the hippocampal formation,” Nature Neuroscience, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 260–265, 1999.
- H. Van Praag, A. F. Schinder, B. R. Christle, N. Toni, T. D. Palmer, and F. H. Gage, “Functional neurogenesis in the adult hippocampus,” Nature, vol. 415, no. 6875, pp. 1030–1034, 2002.
- H. Van Praag, G. Kempermann, and F. H. Gage, “Running increases cell proliferation and neurogenesis in the adult mouse dentate gyrus,” Nature Neuroscience, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 266–270, 1999.
- I. V. Kraev, O. V. Godukhin, I. V. Patrushev, H. A. Davies, V. I. Popov, and M. G. Stewart, “Partial kindling induces neurogenesis, activates astrocytes and alters synaptic morphology in the dentate gyrus of freely moving adult rats,” Neuroscience, vol. 162, no. 2, pp. 254–267, 2009.
- G. Kempermann, H. G. Kuhn, and F. H. Gage, “More hippocampal neurons in adult mice living in an enriched environment,” Nature, vol. 386, no. 6624, pp. 493–495, 1997.
- M. S. Kaplan and J. W. Hinds, “Neurogenesis in the adult rat: electron microscopic analysis of light radioautographs,” Science, vol. 197, no. 4308, pp. 1092–1094, 1977.
- M. S. Kaplan and D. H. Bell, “Mitotic neuroblasts in the 9-day-old and 11-month-old rodent hippocampus,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 1429–1441, 1984.
- E. Gould and B. S. McEwen, “Neuronal birth and death,” Current Opinion in Neurobiology, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 676–682, 1993.
- B. M. Barnes, “Freeze avoidance in a mammal: body temperatures below 0°C in an arctic hibernator,” Science, vol. 244, no. 4912, pp. 1593–1595, 1989.
- S. A. Karpovich, Ø. Tøien, C. L. Buck, and B. M. Barnes, “Energetics of arousal episodes in hibernating arctic ground squirrels,” Journal of Comparative Physiology B, vol. 179, no. 6, pp. 691–700, 2009.
- G. Heldmaier, S. Ortmann, and R. Elvert, “Natural hypometabolism during hibernation and daily torpor in mammals,” Respiratory Physiology and Neurobiology, vol. 141, no. 3, pp. 317–329, 2004.
- C. E. Ribak and L. A. Shapiro, “Dendritic development of newly generated neurons in the adult brain,” Brain Research Reviews, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 390–394, 2007.
- F. Francis, A. Koulakoff, D. Boucher et al., “Doublecortin is a developmentally regulated, microtubule-associated protein expressed in migrating and differentiating neurons,” Neuron, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 247–256, 1999.
- J. G. Gleeson, P. T. Lin, L. A. Flanagan, and C. A. Walsh, “Doublecortin is a microtubule-associated protein and is expressed widely by migrating neurons,” Neuron, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 257–271, 1999.
- S. K. McConnell, “Constructing the cerebral cortex: neurogenesis and fate determination,” Neuron, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 761–768, 1995.
- G. Friocourt, J. S. Liu, M. Antypa, S. Rakić, C. A. Walsh, and J. G. Parnavelas, “Both doublecortin and doublecortin-like kinase play a role in cortical interneuron migration,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 27, no. 14, pp. 3875–3883, 2007.
- M. Fyhn, T. Hafting, A. Treves, M. B. Moser, and E. I. Moser, “Hippocampal remapping and grid realignment in entorhinal cortex,” Nature, vol. 446, no. 7132, pp. 190–194, 2007.
- T. Takahashi, R. S. Nowakowski, and V. S. Caviness, “The cell cycle of the pseudostratified ventricular epithelium of the embryonic murine cerebral wall,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 6046–6057, 1995.
- H. V. Carey, M. T. Andrews, and S. L. Martin, “Mammalian hibernation: cellular and molecular responses to depressed metabolism and low temperature,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 83, no. 4, pp. 1153–1181, 2003.
- H. A. Cameron and R. D. G. Mckay, “Adult neurogenesis produces a large pool of new granule cells in the dentate gyrus,” Journal of Comparative Neurology, vol. 435, no. 4, pp. 406–417, 2001.
- L. J. Kochman, E. T. Weber, C. A. Fornal, and B. L. Jacobs, “Circadian variation in mouse hippocampal cell proliferation,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 406, no. 3, pp. 256–259, 2006.
- L. E. Scheving, E. R. Burns, J. E. Pauly, and T. H. Tsai, “Circadian variation in cell division of the mouse alimentary tract, bone marrow and corneal epithelium,” Anatomical Record, vol. 191, no. 4, pp. 479–486, 1978.
- G. A. Bjarnason and R. Jordan, “Rhythms in human gastrointestinal mucosa and skin,” Chronobiology International, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 129–140, 2002.
- G. A. Bjarnason, R. C. K. Jordan, and R. B. Sothern, “Circadian variation in the expression of cell-cycle proteins in human oral epithelium,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 154, no. 2, pp. 613–622, 1999.
- S.-I. Tamai, K. Sanada, and Y. Fukada, “Time-of-day-dependent enhancement of adult neurogenesis in the hippocampus,” PLoS One, vol. 3, no. 12, article e3835, 2008.
- M. J. West, L. Slomianka, and H. J. G. Gundersen, “Unbiased stereological estimation of the total number of neurons in the subdivisions of the rat hippocampus using the optical fractionator,” Anatomical Record, vol. 231, no. 4, pp. 482–497, 1991.