- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 378307, 13 pages
Mouse Brain PSA-NCAM Levels Are Altered by Graded-Controlled Cortical Impact Injury
1Graduate Program in Neuroscience, F.E. Hébert School of Medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, 4301 Jones Bridge Road, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
2Department of Anatomy, Physiology, and Genetics, F.E. Hébert School of Medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, 4301 Jones Bridge Road, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
3Graduate Program in Molecular and Cell Biology, F.E. Hébert School of Medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, 4301 Jones Bridge Road, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
4Center for Neuroscience and Regenerative Medicine, F.E. Hébert School of Medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, 4301 Jones Bridge Road, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
Received 29 February 2012; Revised 28 May 2012; Accepted 3 June 2012
Academic Editor: Yuji Ikegaya
Copyright © 2012 Craig S. Budinich et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- CDC, “Injury prevention & control: traumatic brain injury,” 2011, http://www.cdc.gov/traumaticbraininjury/statistics.html.
- S. Brown, G. Hawker, D. Beaton, and A. Colantonio, “Long-term musculoskeletal complaints after traumatic brain injury,” Brain Injury, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 453–461, 2011.
- V. Rao and C. G. Lyketsos, “Psychiatric aspects of traumatic brain injury,” Psychiatric Clinics of North America, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 43–69, 2002.
- T. Hampton, “Traumatic brain injury a growing problem among troops serving in Today's Wars,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 306, no. 5, pp. 477–479, 2011.
- J. L. Pertab, K. M. James, and E. D. Bigler, “Limitations of mild traumatic brain injury meta-analyses,” Brain Injury, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 498–508, 2009.
- H. G. Belanger, T. Kretzmer, R. Yoash-Gantz, T. Pickett, and L. A. Tupler, “Cognitive sequelae of blast-related versus other mechanisms of brain trauma,” Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2009.
- J. M. Ziebell and M. C. Morganti-Kossmann, “Involvement of pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokines and chemokines in the pathophysiology of traumatic brain injury,” Neurotherapeutics, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 22–30, 2010.
- A. I. R. Maas, B. Roozenbeek, and G. T. Manley, “Clinical trials in traumatic brain injury: past experience and current developments,” Neurotherapeutics, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 115–126, 2010.
- R. Vink and A. J. Nimmo, “Multifunctional drugs for head injury,” Neurotherapeutics, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 28–42, 2009.
- D. J. Loane and A. I. Faden, “Neuroprotection for traumatic brain injury: translational challenges and emerging therapeutic strategies,” Trends in Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 31, no. 12, pp. 596–604, 2010.
- U. Rutishauser, J. P. Thiery, and R. Brackenbury, “Mechanisms of adhesion among cells from neural tissues of the chick embryo,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 73, no. 2, pp. 577–581, 1976.
- V. Soroka, C. Kasper, and F. Poulsen, “Structural biology of NCAM,” Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, vol. 663, pp. 3–22, 2010.
- J. Nielsen, N. Kulahin, and P. S. Walmod, “Extracellular protein interactions mediated by the neural cell adhesion molecule, NCAM: heterophilic interactions between NCAM and cell adhesion molecules, extracellular matrix proteins, and viruses,” Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, vol. 663, pp. 23–53, 2010.
- V. V. Kiselyov, V. Soroka, V. Berezin, and E. Bock, “Structural biology of NCAM homophilic binding and activation of FGFR,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 94, no. 5, pp. 1169–1179, 2005.
- V. V. Kiselyov, “NCAM and the FGF-Receptor,” Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, vol. 663, pp. 67–79, 2010.
- M. Noble, M. Albrechtsen, and C. Moller, “Glial cells express N-CAM/D2-CAM-like polypeptides in vitro,” Nature, vol. 316, no. 6030, pp. 725–728, 1985.
- E. T. Cox, L. H. Brennaman, K. L. Gable et al., “Developmental regulation of neural cell adhesion molecule in human prefrontal cortex,” Neuroscience, vol. 162, no. 1, pp. 96–105, 2009.
- E. Gascon, L. Vutskits, and J. Z. Kiss, “Polysialic acid-neural cell adhesion molecule in brain plasticity: from synapses to integration of new neurons,” Brain Research Reviews, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 101–118, 2007.
- V. Duveau and J. M. Fritschy, “PSA-NCAM-dependent GDNF signaling limits neurodegeneration and epileptogenesis in temporal lobe epilepsy,” European Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 89–98, 2010.
- L. Vutskits, E. Gascon, and J. Z. Kiss, “Removal of PSA from NCAM affects the survival of magnocellular vasopressin- and oxytocin-producing neurons in organotypic cultures of the paraventricular nucleus,” European Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 2119–2126, 2003.
- L. Vutskits, E. Gascon, E. Zgraggen, and J. Z. Kiss, “The polysialylated neural cell adhesion molecule promotes neurogenesis in vitro,” Neurochemical Research, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 215–225, 2006.
- E. Gascon, L. Vutskits, B. Jenny, P. Durbec, and J. Z. Kiss, “PSA-NCAM in postnatally generated immature neurons of the olfactory bulb: a crucial role in regulating p75 expression and cell survival,” Development, vol. 134, no. 6, pp. 1181–1190, 2007.
- E. Gascon, L. Vutskits, and J. Z. Kiss, “The role of PSA-NCAM in adult neurogenesis,” Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, vol. 663, pp. 127–136, 2010.
- A. K. Petridis, A. El Maarouf, and U. Rutishauser, “Polysialic acid regulates cell contact-dependent neuronal differentiation of progenitor cells from the subventricular zone,” Developmental Dynamics, vol. 230, no. 4, pp. 675–684, 2004.
- D. L. Brody, C. Mac Donald, C. C. Kessens et al., “Electromagnetic controlled cortical impact device for precise, graded experimental traumatic brain injury,” Journal of Neurotrauma, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 657–673, 2007.
- R. E. Watson, S. J. Wiegand, and R. W. Clough, “Use of cryoprotectant to maintain long-term peptide immunoreactivity and tissue morphology,” Peptides, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 155–159, 1986.
- C. Culmsee, C. Zhu, S. Landshamer et al., “Apoptosis-inducing factor triggered by poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase and Bid mediates neuronal cell death after oxygen-glucose deprivation and focal cerebral ischemia,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 25, no. 44, pp. 10262–10272, 2005.
- N. Plesnila, S. Zinkel, D. A. Le et al., “BID mediates neuronal cell death after oxygen/glucose deprivation and focal cerebral ischemia,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 98, no. 26, pp. 15318–15323, 2001.
- S. Spijker, “Dissection of rodent brain regions,” Neuromethods, vol. 57, pp. 13–26, 2011.
- K. E. Saatman, K. J. Feeko, R. L. Pape, and R. Raghupathi, “Differential behavioral and histopathological responses to graded cortical impact injury in mice,” Journal of Neurotrauma, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 1241–1253, 2006.
- J. W. Huh, A. G. Widing, and R. Raghupathi, “Midline brain injury in the immature rat induces sustained cognitive deficits, bihemispheric axonal injury and neurodegeneration,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 213, no. 1, pp. 84–92, 2008.
- L. Bonfanti, S. Olive, D. A. Poulain, and D. T. Theodosis, “Mapping of the distribution of polysialylated neural cell adhesion molecule throughout the central nervous system of the adult rat: an immunohistochemical study,” Neuroscience, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 419–436, 1992.
- J. Nacher, G. Alonso-Llosa, D. Rosell, and B. McEwen, “PSA-NCAM expression in the piriform cortex of the adult rat. Modulation by NMDA receptor antagonist administration,” Brain Research, vol. 927, no. 2, pp. 111–121, 2002.
- C. M. Chuong and G. M. Edelman, “Alterations in neural cell adhesion molecules during development of different regions of the nervous system,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 2354–2368, 1984.
- S. Soares, Y. Von Boxberg, M. Ravaille-Veron, J. D. Vincent, and F. Nothias, “Morphofunctional plasticity in the adult hypothalamus induces regulation of polysialic acid-neural cell adhesion molecule through changing activity and expression levels of polysialyltransferases,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 2551–2557, 2000.
- R. A. Prosser, U. Rutishauser, G. Ungers, L. Fedorkova, and J. D. Glass, “Intrinsic role of polysialylated neural cell adhesion molecule in photic phase resetting of the mammalian circadian clock,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 652–658, 2003.
- L. Bonfanti, “PSA-NCAM in mammalian structural plasticity and neurogenesis,” Progress in Neurobiology, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 129–164, 2006.
- D. K. Ditlevsen, G. K. Povlsen, V. Berezin, and E. Bock, “NCAM-induced intracellular signaling revisited,” Journal of Neuroscience Research, vol. 86, no. 4, pp. 727–743, 2008.
- M. I. Domínguez, J. M. Blasco-Ibáñez, C. Crespo, A. I. Marqués-Marí, and F. J. Martínez-Guijarro, “Calretinin/PSA-NCAM immunoreactive granule cells after hippocampal damage produced by kainic acid and DEDTC treatment in mouse,” Brain Research, vol. 966, no. 2, pp. 206–217, 2003.
- E. Lee and H. Son, “Adult hippocampal neurogenesis and related neurotrophic factors,” BMB Reports, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 239–244, 2009.
- V. Duveau, S. Arthaud, A. Rougier, and G. Le Gal La Salle, “Polysialylation of NCAM is upregulated by hyperthermia and participates in heat shock preconditioning-induced neuroprotection,” Neurobiology of Disease, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 385–395, 2007.
- M. S. L. Hammond, C. Sims, K. Parameshwaran, V. Suppiramaniam, M. Schachner, and A. Dityatev, “Neural cell adhesion molecule-associated polysialic acid inhibits NR2B-containing N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors and prevents glutamate-induced cell death,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 281, no. 46, pp. 34859–34869, 2006.
- M. C. Amoureux, B. A. Cunningham, G. M. Edelman, and K. L. Crossin, “N-CAM binding inhibits the proliferation of hippocampal progenitor cells and promotes their differentiation to a neuronal phenotype,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 3631–3640, 2000.
- U. Rutishauser, “Polysialic acid in the plasticity of the developing and adult vertebrate nervous system,” Nature Reviews Neuroscience, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 26–35, 2008.
- G. B. Kaplan, J. J. Vasterling, and P. C. Vedak, “Brain-derived neurotrophic factor in traumatic brain injury, post-traumatic stress disorder, and their comorbid conditions: role in pathogenesis and treatment,” Behavioural Pharmacology, vol. 21, no. 5-6, pp. 427–437, 2010.
- C. Cassens, R. Kleene, M. F. Xiao et al., “Binding of the receptor tyrosine kinase TrkB to the Neural Cell Adhesion Molecule (NCAM) regulates phosphorylation of NCAM and NCAM-dependent neurite outgrowth,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 285, no. 37, pp. 28959–28967, 2010.
- A. Nykjaer, T. E. Willnow, and C. M. Petersen, “p75NTR—Live or let die,” Current Opinion in Neurobiology, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 49–57, 2005.
- R. Seidenfaden, A. Krauter, and H. Hildebrandt, “The neural cell adhesion molecule NCAM regulates neuritogenesis by multiple mechanisms of interaction,” Neurochemistry International, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 2006.
- Y. Zhang, X. Zhang, J. Yeh, P. Richardson, and X. Bo, “Engineered expression of polysialic acid enhances Purkinje cell axonal regeneration in L1/GAP-43 double transgenic mice,” European Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 351–361, 2007.
- M. P. Morel, I. Dusart, and C. Sotelo, “Sprouting of adult Purkinje cell axons in lesioned mouse cerebellum: 'Non-permissive' versus 'permissive' environment,” Brain Cell Biology, vol. 31, no. 8-9, pp. 633–647, 2002.
- R. A. Asher, D. A. Morgenstern, L. D. F. Moon, and J. W. Fawcett, “Chondroitin sulphate proteoglycans: inhibitory components of the glial scar,” Progress in Brain Research, vol. 132, pp. 611–619, 2001.
- A. A. Lavdas, I. Franceschini, M. Dubois-Dalcq, and R. Matsas, “Schwann cells genetically engineered to express PSA show enhanced migratory potential without impairment of their myelinating ability in vitro,” GLIA, vol. 53, no. 8, pp. 868–878, 2006.
- C. Bachelin, V. Zujovic, D. Buchet, J. Mallet, and A. Baron-Van Evercooren, “Ectopic expression of polysialylated neural cell adhesion molecule in adult Macaque Schwann cells promotes their migration and remyelination potential in the central nervous system,” Brain, vol. 133, no. 2, pp. 406–420, 2010.
- A. El Maarouf and U. Rutishauser, “Use of PSA-NCAM in repair of the central nervous system,” Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, vol. 663, pp. 137–147, 2010.
- A. El Maarouf, A. K. Petridis, and U. Rutishauser, “Use of polysialic acid in repair of the central nervous system,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 103, no. 45, pp. 16989–16994, 2006.
- A. I. Maas, N. Stocchetti, and R. Bullock, “Moderate and severe traumatic brain injury in adults,” The Lancet Neurology, vol. 7, no. 8, pp. 728–741, 2008.