- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 359532, 7 pages
Maturation of Corpus Callosum Anterior Midbody Is Associated with Neonatal Motor Function in Eight Preterm-Born Infants
1Perinatal Research Centre and UQ Centre for Clinical Research, The University of Queensland and Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital, Brisbane, QLD 4029, Australia
2School of Psychology and Psychiatry, Monash University, Melbourne, VIC 3806, Australia
3Centre for Advanced Imaging, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD 4027, Australia
4Infant Neurology Section, Stella Maris Scientific Institute, 56018 Pisa, Italy
5Grantley Stable Neonatal Unit, Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital, Brisbane, QLD 4029, Australia
Received 7 October 2012; Accepted 26 December 2012
Academic Editor: Giorgio M. Innocenti
Copyright © 2013 Preethi Mathew et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. M. T. Robertson, M. J. Watt, and Y. Yasui, “Changes in the prevalence of cerebral palsy for children born very prematurely within a population-based program over 30 years,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 297, no. 24, pp. 2733–2740, 2007.
- L. Holsti, R. V. E. Grunau, and M. F. Whitfield, “Developmental coordination disorder in extremely low birth weight children at nine years,” Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 9–15, 2002.
- B. S. Peterson, A. W. Anderson, R. Ehrenkranz et al., “Regional brain volumes and their later neurodevelopmental correlates in term and preterm infants,” Pediatrics, vol. 111, no. 5, pp. 939–948, 2003.
- P. S. Hüppi, “Immature white matter lesions in the premature infant,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 145, no. 5, pp. 575–578, 2004.
- G. C. Smith, J. Gutovich, C. Smyser, et al., “Neonatal intensive care unit stress is associated with brain development in preterm infants,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 70, no. 4, pp. 541–549, 2011.
- A. Stančák, E. R. Cohen, R. D. Seidler, T. Q. Duong, and S. G. Kim, “The size of corpus callosum correlates with functional activation of medial motor cortical areas in bimanual and unimanual movements,” Cerebral Cortex, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 475–485, 2003.
- D. Le Bihan, “Looking into the functional architecture of the brain with diffusion MRI,” Nature Reviews Neuroscience, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 469–480, 2003.
- C. Beaulieu, “The basis of anisotropic water diffusion in the nervous system—a technical review,” NMR in Biomedicine, vol. 15, no. 7-8, pp. 435–455, 2002.
- S. E. Rose, X. Hatzigeorgiou, M. W. Strudwick, G. Durbridge, P. S. W. Davies, and P. B. Colditz, “Altered white matter diffusion anisotropy in normal and preterm infants at term-equivalent age,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 761–767, 2008.
- D. K. Thompson, T. E. Inder, N. Faggian et al., “Characterization of the corpus callosum in very preterm and full-term infants utilizing MRI,” NeuroImage, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 479–490, 2011.
- J. Rose, E. E. Butler, L. E. Lamont, P. D. Barnes, S. W. Atlas, and D. K. Stevenson, “Neonatal brain structure on MRI and diffusion tensor imaging, sex, and neurodevelopment in very-low-birthweight preterm children,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 51, no. 7, pp. 526–535, 2009.
- J. S. Andrews, M. Ben-Shachar, J. D. Yeatman, L. L. Flom, B. E. A. T. R. I. Z. LUNA, and H. M. Feldman, “Reading performance correlates with white-matter properties in preterm and term children,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. e94–e100, 2010.
- K. M. Mullen, B. R. Vohr, K. H. Katz et al., “Preterm birth results in alterations in neural connectivity at age 16 years,” NeuroImage, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 2563–2570, 2011.
- A. H. Hoon Jr., W. T. Lawrie Jr., E. R. Melhem et al., “Diffusion tensor imaging of periventricular leukomalacia shows affected sensory cortex white matter pathways,” Neurology, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 752–756, 2002.
- K. J. Rademaker, J. N. G. P. Lam, I. C. Van Haastert et al., “Larger corpus callosum size with better motor performance in prematurely born children,” Seminars in Perinatology, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 279–287, 2004.
- M. Iai, Y. Tanabe, M. Goto, K. Sugita, and H. Niimi, “A comparative magnetic resonance imaging study of the corpus callosum in neurologically normal children and children with spastic diplegia,” Acta Paediatrica, International Journal of Paediatrics, vol. 83, no. 10, pp. 1086–1090, 1994.
- L. Dubowitz, V. Dubowitz, and E. Mercuri, The Neurological Assessment of the PreTerm & Full-Term Newborn Infant, Cambridge University Press, London, UK, 2nd edition, 1999.
- A. Leemans and D. K. Jones, “The B-matrix must be rotated when correcting for subject motion in DTI data,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 1336–1349, 2009.
- S. M. Smith, “Fast robust automated brain extraction,” Human Brain Mapping, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 143–155, 2002.
- M. Jenkinson, C. F. Beckmann, T. E. Behrens, M. W. Woolrich, and S. M. Smith, “FSL,” NeuroImage, vol. 62, pp. 782–790, 2012.
- J. G. Sied, A. P. Zijdenbos, and A. C. Evans, “A nonparametric method for automatic correction of intensity nonuniformity in mri data,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 87–97, 1998.
- D. Morris, R. Nossin-Manor, M. J. Taylor, and J. G. Sled, “Preterm neonatal diffusion processing using detection and replacement of outliers prior to resampling,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 92–101, 2011.
- P. J. Basser, J. Mattiello, and D. LeBihan, “MR diffusion tensor spectroscopy and imaging,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 259–267, 1994.
- A. H. Hoon Jr., E. E. Stashinko, L. M. Nagae et al., “Sensory and motor deficits in children with cerebral palsy born preterm correlate with diffusion tensor imaging abnormalities in thalamocortical pathways,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 51, no. 9, pp. 697–704, 2009.
- P. McGraw, L. Liang, and J. M. Provenzale, “Evaluation of normal age-related changes in anisotropy during infancy and childhood as shown by diffusion tensor imaging,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 179, no. 6, pp. 1515–1522, 2002.
- R. Caminiti, H. Ghaziri, R. Galuske, P. R. Hof, and G. M. Innocenti, “Evolution amplified processing with temporally dispersed slow neuronal connectivity in primates,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 106, no. 46, pp. 19551–19556, 2009.
- F. Aboitiz, A. B. Scheibel, R. S. Fisher, and E. Zaidel, “Fiber composition of the human corpus callosum,” Brain Research, vol. 598, no. 1-2, pp. 143–153, 1992.
- W. Hendelman, Atlas of Functional Neuroanatomy, CRC Oress, Ottawa, Canada, 2000.
- M. Wahl, B. Lauterbach-Soon, E. Hattingen et al., “Human motor corpus callosum: topography, somatotopy, and link between microstructure and function,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 27, no. 45, pp. 12132–12138, 2007.
- J. H. Gilmore, W. Lin, I. Corouge et al., “Early postnatal development of corpus callosum and corticospinal white matter assessed with quantitative tractography,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 1789–1795, 2007.
- T. Bäumer, J. C. Rothwell, and A. Münchau, “Functional connectivity of the human premotor and motor cortex explored with TMS,” in Supplements to Clinical Neurophysiology, W. Paulus and M. Hallett, Eds., chapter 14, pp. 160–169, Elsevier, 2003.
- H. Als, F. H. Duffy, G. B. McAnulty et al., “Early experience alters brain function and structure,” Pediatrics, vol. 113, no. 4 I, pp. 846–857, 2004.
- G. B. McAnulty, S. C. Butler, J. H. Bernstein, H. Als, F. H. Duffy, and D. Zurakowski, “Effects of the newborn individualized developmental care and assessment program (NIDCAP) at age 8 years: preliminary data,” Clinical Pediatrics, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 258–270, 2010.
- D. C. Howell, Statistical Methods for Psychology, Wadsworth, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2009.
- H.-J. Park, J. K. Jae, S.-K. Lee et al., “Corpus callosal connection mapping using cortical gray matter panellation and DT-MRI,” Human Brain Mapping, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 503–516, 2008.