- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 565167, 6 pages
Stimulation of Perforant Path Fibers Induces LTP Concurrently in Amygdala and Hippocampus in Awake Freely Behaving Rats
1Neuroscience Program, Trinity College, 300 Summit Street, Hartford, CT 06106, USA
2Department of Engineering, Trinity College, 300 Summit Street, Hartford, CT 06106, USA
Received 21 August 2012; Revised 21 December 2012; Accepted 22 December 2012
Academic Editor: Michael Stewart
Copyright © 2013 J. Harry Blaise and Rachel A. Hartman. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. V. P. Bliss and T. Lomo, “Long lasting potentiation of synaptic transmission in the dentate area of the anaesthetized rabbit following stimulation of the perforant path,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 232, no. 2, pp. 331–356, 1973.
- S. J. Martin, P. D. Grimwood, and R. G. M. Morris, “Synaptic plasticity and memory: an evaluation of the hypothesis,” Annual Review of Neuroscience, vol. 23, pp. 649–711, 2000.
- T. V. P. Bliss and G. L. Collingridge, “A synaptic model of memory: Long-term potentiation in the hippocampus,” Nature, vol. 361, no. 6407, pp. 31–39, 1993.
- R. C. Malenka and R. A. Nicoll, “Long-term potentiation—a decade of progress?” Science, vol. 285, no. 5435, pp. 1870–1874, 1999.
- W. C. Abraham and J. M. Williams, “Properties and mechanisms of LTP maintenance,” Neuroscientist, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 463–474, 2003.
- Y. Ikegaya, H. Saito, and K. Abe, “High-frequency stimulation of the basolateral amygdala facilitates the induction of long-term potentiation in the dentate gyrus in vivo,” Neuroscience Research, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 203–207, 1995.
- I. Akirav and G. Richter-Levin, “Mechanisms of amygdala modulation of hippocampal plasticity,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 22, no. 22, pp. 9912–9921, 2002.
- G. Bush, P. Luu, and M. I. Posner, “Cognitive and emotional influences in anterior cingulate cortex,” Trends in Cognitive Sciences, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 215–222, 2000.
- M. Davis, J. M. Hitchcock, M. B. Bowers, C. W. Berridge, K. R. Melia, and R. H. Roth, “Stress-induced activation of prefrontal cortex dopamine turnover: blockade by lesions of the amygdala,” Brain Research, vol. 664, no. 1-2, pp. 207–210, 1994.
- J. E. LeDoux, “Emotion circuits in the brain,” Annual Review of Neuroscience, vol. 23, pp. 155–184, 2000.
- J. L. McGaugh, “Memory consolidation and the amygdala: a systems perspective,” Trends in Neurosciences, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 456–461, 2002.
- J. L. McGaugh, “The amygdala modulates the consolidation of memories of emotionally arousing experiences,” Annual Review of Neuroscience, vol. 27, pp. 1–28, 2004.
- D. Paré, “Role of the basolateral amygdala in memory consolidation,” Progress in Neurobiology, vol. 70, no. 5, pp. 409–420, 2003.
- B. Roozendaal, “Systems mediating acute glucocorticoid effects on memory consolidation and retrieval,” Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 1213–1223, 2003.
- L. Cahill and J. L. McGaugh, “Modulation of memory storage,” Current Opinion in Neurobiology, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 237–242, 1996.
- C. K. McIntyre, T. Miyashita, B. Setlow et al., “Memory-influencing intra-basolateral amygdala drug infusions modulate expression of Arc protein in the hippocampus,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 102, no. 30, pp. 10718–10723, 2005.
- H. Eichenbaum, T. Otto, and N. J. Cohen, “The hippocampus—what does it do?” Behavioral and Neural Biology, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 2–36, 1992.
- S. Maren, “Nuerobiology of Pavlovian fear conditioning,” Annual Review of Neuroscience, vol. 24, pp. 897–931, 2001.
- J. L. McGaugh, C. K. McIntyre, and A. E. Power, “Amygdala modulation of memory consolidation: interaction with other brain systems,” Neurobiology of Learning and Memory, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 539–552, 2002.
- K. S. LaBar and R. Cabeza, “Cognitive neuroscience of emotional memory,” Nature Reviews Neuroscience, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 54–64, 2006.
- E. A. Phelps, M. R. Delgado, K. I. Nearing, and J. E. Ledoux, “Extinction learning in humans: role of the amygdala and vmPFC,” Neuron, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 897–905, 2004.
- A. J. Mcdonald, “Cortical pathways to the mammalian amygdala,” Progress in Neurobiology, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 257–332, 1998.
- C. B. Canto, F. G. Wouterlood, and M. P. Witter, “What does the anatomical organization of the entorhinal cortex tell us?” Neural Plasticity, vol. 2008, Article ID 381243, 18 pages, 2008.
- M. G. Packard and L. Cahill, “Affective modulation of multiple memory systems,” Current Opinion in Neurobiology, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 752–756, 2001.
- L. Cahill and J. L. McGaugh, “Mechanisms of emotional arousal and lasting declarative memory,” Trends in Neurosciences, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 294–299, 1998.
- A. Kavushansky, R. M. Vouimba, H. Cohen, and G. Richter-Levin, “Activity and plasticity in the CA1, the dentate gyrus, and the amygdala following controllable vs. uncontrollable water stress,” Hippocampus, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 35–42, 2006.
- R. M. Vouimba, D. Yaniv, D. Diamond, and G. Richter-Levin, “Effects of inescapable stress on LTP in the amygdala versus the dentate gyrus of freely behaving rats,” European Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 1887–1894, 2004.
- D. Yaniv, R. M. Vouimba, D. M. Diamond, and G. Richter-Levin, “Simultaneous induction of long-term potentiation in the hippocampus and the amygdala by entorhinal cortex activation: mechanistic and temporal profiles,” Neuroscience, vol. 120, no. 4, pp. 1125–1135, 2003.
- K. J. Canning and L. S. Leung, “Lateral entorhinal, perirhinal, and amygdala-entorhinal transition projections to hippocampal CA1 and dentate gyrus in the rat: a current source density study,” Hippocampus, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 643–655, 1997.
- D. P. Cain, F. Boon, and E. L. Hargreaves, “Evidence for different neurochemical contributions to long-term potentiation and to kindling and kindling-induced potentiation: role of NMDA and urethane-sensitive mechanisms,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 116, no. 3, pp. 330–338, 1992.
- M. B. MacIver, D. L. Tauck, and J. J. Kendig, “General anaesthetic modification of synaptic facilitation and long-term potentiation in hippocampus,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 301–310, 1989.
- M. E. Gilbert and C. M. Mack, “Field potential recordings in dentate gyrus of anesthetized rats: stability of baseline,” Hippocampus, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 277–287, 1999.
- T. J. Shors and E. Dryver, “Effect of stress and long-term potentiation (LTP) on subsequent LTP and the theta burst response in the dentate gyrus,” Brain Research, vol. 666, no. 2, pp. 232–238, 1994.
- W. C. Abraham, S. E. Mason-Parker, M. F. Bear, S. Webb, and W. P. Tate, “Heterosynaptic metaplasticity in the hippocampus in vivo: a BCM-like modifiable threshold for LTP,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 98, no. 19, pp. 10924–10929, 2001.
- S. Maren, “Sexually dimorphic perforant path long-term potentiation (LTP) in urethane-anesthetized rats,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 196, no. 3, pp. 177–180, 1995.
- R. Freudenthal, A. Romano, and A. Routtenberg, “Transcription factor NF-κB activation after in vivo perforant path LTP in mouse hippocampus,” Hippocampus, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 677–683, 2004.
- J. H. Blaise, J. L. Koranda, U. Chow, K. E. Haines, and E. C. Dorward, “Neonatal isolation stress alters bidirectional long-term synaptic plasticity in amygdalo-hippocampal synapses in freely behaving adult rats,” Brain Research, vol. 1193, no. C, pp. 25–33, 2008.
- E. L. Hargreaves, D. P. Cain, and C. H. Vanderwolf, “Learning and behavioral-long-term potentiation: importance of controlling for motor activity,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 1472–1478, 1990.
- J. Winson and C. Abzug, “Neuronal transmission through hippocampal pathways dependent on behavior,” Journal of Neurophysiology, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 716–732, 1978.
- V. Aroniadou-Anderjaska, R. M. Post, M. A. Rogawski, and H. Li, “Input-specific LTP and depotentiation in the basolateral amygdala,” NeuroReport, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 635–640, 2001.
- S. C. Stanford, “Central noradrenergic neurones and stress,” Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 297–342, 1995.
- R. Galvez, M. H. Mesches, and J. L. Mcgaugh, “Norepinephrine release in the amygdala in response to footshock stimulation,” Neurobiology of Learning and Memory, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 253–257, 1996.
- G. L. Quirarte, R. Galvez, B. Roozendaal, and J. L. McGaugh, “Norepinephrine release in the amygdala in response to footshock and opioid peptidergic drugs,” Brain Research, vol. 808, no. 2, pp. 134–140, 1998.
- M. Tanaka, M. Yoshida, H. Emoto, and H. Ishii, “Noradrenaline systems in the hypothalamus, amygdala and locus coeruleus are involved in the provocation of anxiety: basic studies,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 405, no. 1–3, pp. 397–406, 2000.
- V. Aroniadou-Anderjaska, F. Qashu, and M. F. M. Braga, “Mechanisms regulating GABAergic inhibitory transmission in the basolateral amygdala: implications for epilepsy and anxiety disorders,” Amino Acids, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 305–315, 2007.
- D. J. Berlau and J. L. McGaugh, “Enhancement of extinction memory consolidation: the role of the noradrenergic and GABAergic systems within the basolateral amygdala,” Neurobiology of Learning and Memory, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 123–132, 2006.
- A. J. McDonald and F. Mascagni, “Projections of the lateral entorhinal cortex to the amygdala: a Phaseolus vulgaris leucoagglutinin study in the rat,” Neuroscience, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 445–459, 1997.
- S. Maren and M. S. Fanselow, “Synaptic plasticity in the basolateral amygdala induced by hippocampal formation stimulation in vivo,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 7548–7564, 1995.