- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 754564, 6 pages
Ultrasonic Assessment of Females with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Proved by Nerve Conduction Study
1Neurophysiology Unit, Physiology Department, Faculty of Medicine, Kufa University, Najaf, Iraq
2Radiology Unit, Surgery Department, Faculty of Medicine, Kufa University, Najaf, Iraq
3Pharmacology Department, Faculty of Medicine, Kufa University, Najaf, Iraq
Received 25 March 2013; Revised 30 May 2013; Accepted 4 June 2013
Academic Editor: Preston E. Garraghty
Copyright © 2013 Ihsan M. Ajeena et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. Duncan, P. Sullivan, and F. Lomas, “Sonography in the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 173, no. 3, pp. 681–684, 1999.
- L. Sarría, T. Cabada, R. Cozcolluela, T. Martínez-Berganza, and S. García, “Carpal tunnel syndrome: usefulness of sonography,” European Radiology, vol. 10, no. 12, pp. 1920–1925, 2000.
- S. Aroori and R. A. J. Spence, “Carpal tunnel syndrome,” Ulster Medical Journal, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 6–17, 2008.
- N. Akcar, S. Özkan, Ö. Mehmetoglu, C. Calisir, and B. Adapinar, “Value of power Doppler and gray-scale US in the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome: contribution of cross-sectional area just before the tunnel inlet as compared with the cross-sectional area at the tunnel,” Korean Journal of Radiology, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 632–639, 2010.
- L. Moran, M. Perez, A. Esteban, J. Bellon, B. Arranz, and M. Del Cerro, “Sonographic measurement of cross-sectional area of the median nerve in the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome: correlation with nerve conduction studies,” Journal of Clinical Ultrasound, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 125–131, 2009.
- S. E. Luckhaupt, J. M. Dahlhamer, B. W. Ward, M. H. Sweeney, J. P. Sestito, and G. M. Calvert, “Prevalence and work-relatedness of carpal tunnel syndrome in the working population, United States, 2010 national health interview survey,” American Journal of Industrial Medicine, vol. 55, no. 12, pp. 1069–1077, 2012.
- D. Rempel, B. Evanoff, P. C. Amadio et al., “Consensus criteria for the classification of carpal tunnel syndrome in epidemiologic studies,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 88, no. 10, pp. 1447–1451, 1998.
- A. Mohammadi, A. R. Afshar, S. Masudi, and A. Etemadi, “Comparison of high resolution ultrasonography and nerve conduction study in the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome: diagnostic value of median nerve cross-sectional area,” Iranian Journal of Radiology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 147–152, 2009.
- S. Andrea, J. Ethan, F. Ralph et al., “Bifid median nerve in carpal tunnel syndrome: assessment with US cross-sectional area measurement,” Radiology, vol. 259, no. 3, pp. 123–129, 2011.
- S. M. Wong, J. F. Griffith, A. C. F. Hui, S. K. Lo, M. Fu, and K. S. Wong, “Carpal tunnel syndrome: diagnostic usefulness of sonography,” Radiology, vol. 232, no. 1, pp. 93–99, 2004.
- Y. M. El Miedany, S. A. Aty, and S. Ashour, “Ultrasonography versus nerve conduction study in patients with carpal tunnel syndrome: substantive or complementary tests?” Rheumatology, vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 887–895, 2004.
- W. Buchberger, G. Schon, K. Strasser, and W. Jungwirth, “High-resolution ultrasonography of the carpal tunnel,” Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine, vol. 10, no. 10, pp. 531–537, 1991.
- W. Buchberger, W. Judmaier, G. Birbamer, M. Lener, and C. Schmidauer, “Carpal tunnel syndrome: diagnosis with high-resolution sonography,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 159, no. 4, pp. 793–798, 1992.
- M. Mondelli, G. Filippou, A. Gallo, and B. Frediani, “Diagnostic utility of ultrasonography versus nerve conduction studies in mild carpal tunnel syndrome,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 357–366, 2008.
- M. G. Hochman and J. L. Zilberfarb, “Nerves in a pinch: imaging of nerve compression syndromes,” Radiologic Clinics of North America, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 221–245, 2004.
- S. M. Wong, J. F. Griffith, A. C. F. Hui, A. Tang, and K. S. Wong, “Discriminatory sonographic criteria for the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 46, no. 7, pp. 1914–1921, 2002.
- L.-Y. Wang, C.-P. Leong, Y.-C. Huang, J.-W. Hung, S.-M. Cheung, and Y.-P. Pong, “Best diagnostic criterion in high-resolution ultrasonography for carpal tunnel syndrome,” Chang Gung Medical Journal, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 469–476, 2008.
- Y. S. Karadag, O. Karadag, and E. Cicekli, “Severity of carpal tunnel syndrome assessed with high frequency ultrasonography,” Rheumatology International, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 761–765, 2010.
- I. K. Keleş, A. T. Kendi, G. Aydin, S. G. Zöğ, and S. Orkun, “Diagnostic precision of ultrasonography in patients with carpal tunnel syndrome,” American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, vol. 84, pp. 443–450, 2005.
- A. S. Klauser, E. J. Halpern, T. De Zordo et al., “Carpal tunnel syndrome assessment with US: value of additional cross-sectional area measurements of the median nerve in patients versus healthy volunteers,” Radiology, vol. 250, no. 1, pp. 171–177, 2009.
- M. Keberle, M. Jenett, W. Kenn et al., “Technical advances in ultrasound and MR imaging of carpal tunnel syndrome,” European Radiology, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 1043–1050, 2000.
- S. P. Mathew, P. Jonathan, S. K. Wasim, and J. Nicholas, “Is there light at the end of the tunnel? Controversies in the diagnosis and management of carpal tunnel syndrome,” American Association For Hand Surgery, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 354–360, 2010.
- J. D. Bland, “A neurophysiological grading scale for carpal tunnel syndrome,” Muscle & Nerve, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 1280–1283, 2000.
- L. Alemán, J. D. Berná, M. Reus, F. Martínez, G. Doménech-Ratto, and M. Campos, “Reproducibility of sonographic measurements of the median nerve,” Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 193–197, 2008.
- G. S. Phalen, “The carpal-tunnel syndrome. Seventeen years' experience in diagnosis and treatment of six hundred fifty-four hands,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 211–228, 1966.
- J. W. Hilburn, “General principles and use of electrodiagnostic studies in carpal and cubital tunnel syndromes: with special attention to pitfalls and interpretation,” Hand Clinics, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 205–221, 1996.
- R. A. Werner, J. W. Albers, A. Franzblau, and T. J. Armstrong, “The relationship between body mass index and the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome,” Muscle and Nerve, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 632–636, 1994.
- T. Jessie, P. Maureen, and A. Kerry, “Impact of ancestry and body size on sonographic ulnar nerve dimensions,” Radiography, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 100–104, 2012.
- T. F. Elwakil, A. Elazzazi, and H. Shokeir, “Treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome by low-level laser versus open carpal tunnel release,” Lasers in Medical Science, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 265–270, 2007.
- A. Mallouhi, P. Pültzl, T. Trieb, H. Piza, and G. Bodner, “Predictors of carpal tunnel syndrome: accuracy of gray-scale and color doppler sonography,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 186, no. 5, pp. 1240–1245, 2006.
- M. Courtney and J. Townsend, Sabiston Textbook of Surgery, Saunders Elsevier, Toronto, Canada, 18th edition, 2007.
- J. Pomerance and I. Fine, “Outcomes of carpal tunnel surgery with and without supervised postoperative therapy,” Journal of Hand Surgery, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 1159–1163, 2007.
- D. Lee, M. T. Van Holsbeeck, P. K. Janevski, D. L. Ganos, D. M. Ditmars, and V. B. Darian, “Diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome: ultrasound versus electromyography,” Radiologic Clinics of North America, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 859–872, 1999.