- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Neurology Research International
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 734232, 7 pages
Oblique Corpectomy to Manage Cervical Myeloradiculopathy
1Department of Neurosurgery, Lariboisiere University Hospital, 75475 Paris Cedex 10, France
2Service de Neurochirurgie, Hôpital Lariboisière, 2 rue Ambroise Paré, 75475 Paris cedex 10, France
Received 26 May 2011; Accepted 13 August 2011
Academic Editor: Kemal Koc
Copyright © 2011 Chibbaro Salvatore et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. H. Bohlman, “Cervical spondylosis with moderate to severe myelopathy. A report of seventeen cases treated by Robinson anterior cervical discectomy and fusion,” Spine, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 151–162, 1977.
- R. A. Robinson, A. E. Walker, and D. C. Ferlic, “The results of anterior interbody fusion of the cervical spine,” The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, vol. 44, no. 8, pp. 1569–1587, 1962.
- M. D. Law Jr., M. Bernhardt, and A. A. White III, “Evaluation and management of cervical spondylotic myelopathy,” Instructional Course Lectures, vol. 44, pp. 99–110, 1993.
- M. G. Fehlings, P. R. Cooper, and T. J. Errico, “Posterior plates in the management of cervical instability: long-term results in 44 patients,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 341–349, 1994.
- V. K. Goel, C. R. Clark, K. G. Harris, and K. R. Schulte, “Kinematics of the cervical spine: effects of multiple total laminectomy and facet wiring,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 611–619, 1988.
- A. W. Graham, M. L. Swank, R. E. Kinard, G. L. Lowery, and B. E. Dials, “Posterior cervical arthrodesis and stabilization with a lateral mass plate: clinical and computed tomographic evaluation of lateral mass screw placement and associated complications,” Spine, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 323–329, 1996.
- J. G. Heller, “Postlaminectomy kyphosis,” in The Adult Spine, J. W. Frymoyer, Ed., 1991.
- G. R. V. Kumar, G. L. Rea, L. J. Mervis, and J. M. McGregor, “Cervical spondylotic myelopathy: functional and radiographic long-term outcome after laminectomy and posterior fusion,” Neurosurgery, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 771–778, 1999.
- Y. Mikawa, J. Shikata, and T. Yamamuro, “Spinal deformity and instability after en bloc cervical laminoplasty,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 411, pp. 129–139, 1987.
- S. Yasuoka, H. A. Peterson, E. R. Laws, and C. S. MacCarty, “Pathogenesis and prophylaxis of postlaminectomy deformity of the spine after multiple level laminectomy: difference between children and adults,” Neurosurgery, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 145–152, 1981.
- C. C. Edwards, J. G. Heller, and D. H. Silcox III, “T-saw laminoplasty for the management of cervical spondylotic myelopathy,” Spine, vol. 25, no. 14, pp. 1788–1794, 2000.
- K. Hirabayashi, K. Watanabe, K. Wakano, N. Suzuki, K. Satomi, and Y. Ishii, “Expansive open-door laminoplasty for cervical spinal stenotic myelopathy,” Spine, vol. 8, no. 7, pp. 693–699, 1983.
- M. Iwasaki, Y. Kawaguchi, T. Kimura, and K. Yonenobu, “Long-term results of expansive laminoplasty for ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament of the cervical spine: more than 10 years follow up,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 96, no. 2, pp. 180–189, 2002.
- Y. Kawaguchi, M. Kanamori, H. Ishihara, K. Ohmori, H. Nakamura, and T. Kimura, “Minimum 10-year followup after en bloc cervical laminoplasty,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 411, pp. 129–139, 2003.
- M. Orabi, S. Chibbaro, O. Makiese, J. F. Cornelius, and B. George, “Double-door laminoplasty in managing multilevel myelopathy: technique description and literature review,” Neurosurgical Review, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 101–110, 2008.
- M. Oyama and S. Hattori, A New Method of Posterior Decompression. Principles and Practice, Raven Press, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1973.
- K. Tomita, N. Kawahara, Y. Toribatake, and J. G. Heller, “Expansive midline T-saw laminoplasty (modified spinous process-splitting) for the management of cervical myelopathy,” Spine, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 32–37, 1998.
- K. Yonenobu, N. Hosono, M. Iwasaki, M. Asano, and K. Ono, “Laminoplasty versus subtotal corpectomy: a comparative study of results in multisegmental cervical spondylotic myelopathy,” Spine, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 1281–1284, 1992.
- M. Bruneau, J. F. Cornelius, and B. George, “Multilevel oblique corpectomies: surgical indications and technique,” Neurosurgery, vol. 61, no. 3, supplement, pp. S106–S112, 2007.
- M. Bruneau, J. F. Cornelius, and B. George, “Microsurgical cervical nerve root decompression by anterolateral approach,” Neurosurgery, vol. 58, no. 1, supplement, pp. S108–S113, 2006.
- S. Çagli, R. H. Chamberlain, V. K. H. Sonntag, and N. R. Crawford, “The biomechanical effects of cervical multilevel oblique corpectomy,” Spine, vol. 29, no. 13, pp. 1420–1427, 2004.
- S. Chibbaro, G. Mirone, D. Bresson, and B. George, “Cervical spine lateral approach for myeloradiculopathy: technique and pitfalls,” Surgical Neurology, vol. 72, no. 4, pp. 318–324, 2009.
- B. George, A. Blanquet, and O. Alves, “Surgical exposure of the vertebral artery,” Operative Techniques in Neurosurgery, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 182–194, 2001.
- B. George and J. Cornelius, “Vertebral artery: surgical anatomy,” Operative Techniques in Neurosurgery, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 168–181, 2001.
- B. George, N. Gauthier, and G. Lot, “Multisegmental cervical spondylotic myelopathy and radiculopathy treated by multilevel oblique corpectomies without fusion,” Neurosurgery, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 81–90, 1999.
- B. George and G. Lot, “Oblique transcorporeal drilling to treat anterior compression of the spinal cord at the cervical level,” Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 48–52, 1994.
- B. George, M. Zerah, G. Lot, and M. Hurth, “Oblique transcorporeal approach to anteriorly located lesions in the cervical spinal canal,” Acta Neurochirurgica, vol. 121, no. 3-4, pp. 187–190, 1993.
- G. Rocchi, E. Caroli, M. Salvati, and R. Delfini, “Multilevel oblique corpectomy without fusion: our experience in 48 patients,” Spine, vol. 30, no. 17, pp. 1963–1969, 2005.
- B. George, “Extracranial vertebral artery anatomy and surgery,” Advances and Technical Standards in Neurosurgery, vol. 27, pp. 179–216, 2002.
- H. Verbiest, Y. Paz, and H. D. Geuse, “Anterolateral surgery for cervical spondylosis in cases of myelopathy or nerve-root compression,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 611–622, 1966.
- H. Verbiest, “Anterior and lateral surgery of the cervical spine,” Neurochirurgie, vol. 16, supplement 2, pp. 137–153, 1970.
- H. Verbiest, “The lateral approach to the cervical spine,” Clinical Neurosurgery, vol. 20, pp. 295–305, 1973.
- H. Verbiest, “The management of cervical spondylosis,” Clinical Neurosurgery, vol. 23, pp. 262–294, 1973.
- H. Y. Lee, S. H. Lee, H. K. Son et al., “Comparison of multilevel oblique corpectomy with and without image guided navigation for multi-segmental cervical spondylotic myelopathy,” Computer Aided Surgery, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 32–37, 2011.
- V. Moses, R. T. Daniel, and A. G. Chacko, “The value of intraoperative ultrasound in oblique corpectomy for cervical spondylotic myelopathy and ossified posterior longitudinal ligament,” British Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 518–525, 2010.
- T. Kiris and C. Kilinçer, “Cervical spondylotic myelopathy treated by oblique corpectomy: a prospective study,” Neurosurgery, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 674–681, 2008.
- A. G. Chacko and R. T. Daniel, “Multilevel cervical oblique corpectomy in the treatment of ossified posterior longitudinal ligament in the presence of ossified anterior longitudinal ligament,” Spine, vol. 32, no. 20, pp. E575–E580, 2007.
- A. Goel and S. Pareikh, “Limited oblique corpectomy for treatment of ossified posterior longitudinal ligament,” Neurology India, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 280–282, 2005.
- R. K. Koç, A. Menkü, H. Akdemir, B. Tucer, A. Kurtsoy, and I. S. Öktem, “Cervical spondylotic myelopathy and radiculopathy treated by oblique corpectomies without fusion,” Neurosurgical Review, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 252–258, 2004.
- T. Karalar, F. Ünal, F. K. Güzey, T. Kiris, E. Bozdag, and E. Sünbüloglu, “Biomechanical analysis of cervical multilevel oblique corpectomy: an in vitro study in sheep,” Acta Neurochirurgica, vol. 146, no. 8, pp. 813–818, 2004.
- S. Çagli, R. H. Chamberlain, V. K.H. Sonntag, and N. R. Crawford, “The biomechanical effects of cervical multilevel oblique corpectomy,” Spine, vol. 29, no. 13, pp. 1420–1427, 2004.