- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Nursing Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 495103, 5 pages
Nursing Home Resident Symptomatology Triggering Transfer: Avoiding Unnecessary Hospitalizations
1School of Nursing, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, 3601 4th Street, Lubbock, TX 79430, USA
2School of Nursing, The University of Texas at Austin, 1700 Red River Street, Austin, TX 78712, USA
Received 27 July 2012; Revised 4 September 2012; Accepted 4 September 2012
Academic Editor: Sheila Payne
Copyright © 2012 Alyce S. Ashcraft and Jane Dimmitt Champion. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. G. Ouslander, G. Lamb, R. Tappen et al., “Interventions to reduce hospitalizations from nursing homes: evaluation of the INTERACT II collaborative quality improvement project,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 745–753, 2011.
- J. L. Wolff, B. Starfield, and G. Anderson, “Prevalence, expenditures, and complications of multiple chronic conditions in the elderly,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 162, no. 20, pp. 2269–2276, 2002.
- N. G. Castle, “Nursing home caregiver staffing levels and quality of care: a literature review,” Journal of Applied Gerontology, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 375–405, 2008.
- S. D. Horn, P. Buerhaus, N. Bergstrom, and R. J. Smout, “RN staffing time and outcomes of long-stay nursing home residents,” American Journal of Nursing, vol. 105, no. 11, pp. 58–71, 2005.
- D. C. Grabowski, K. A. Stewart, S. M. Broderick, and L. A. Coots, “Predictors of nursing home hospitalization—a review of the literature,” Medical Care Research and Review, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 3–39, 2008.
- J. G. Ouslander, G. Lamb, M. Perloe et al., “Potentially avoidable hospitalizations of nursing home residents: frequency, causes, and costs,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 627–635, 2010.
- J. D. Walker, G. F. Teare, D. B. Hogan, S. Lewis, and C. J. Maxwell, “Identifying potentially avoidable hospital admissions from Canadian long-term care facilities,” Medical Care, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 250–254, 2009.
- H. Muenchberger and E. Kendall, “Predictors of preventable hospitalization in chronic disease: priorities for change,” Journal of Public Health Policy, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 150–163, 2010.
- M. P. Freiman and C. M. Murtaugh, “The determinants of the hospitalization of nursing home residents,” Journal of Health Economics, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 349–359, 1993.
- T. R. Fried and V. Mor, “Frailty and hospitalization of long-term stay nursing home residents,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 265–269, 1997.
- P. Gillen, D. Spore, V. Mor, and W. Freiberger, “Functional and residential status transitions among nursing home residents,” Journals of Gerontology A, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. M29–M36, 1996.
- R. T. Konetzka, W. Spector, and T. Shaffer, “Effects of nursing home ownership type and resident payer source on hospitalization for suspected pneumonia,” Medical Care, vol. 42, no. 10, pp. 1001–1008, 2004.
- M. W. Carter, “Factors associated with ambulatory care-sensitive hospitalizations among nursing home residents,” Journal of Aging and Health, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 295–331, 2003.
- M. W. Carter and F. W. Porell, “Nursing home performance on select publicly reported quality indicators and resident risk of hospitalization: grappling with policy implications,” Journal of Aging and Social Policy, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 17–39, 2006.
- O. Intrator, N. G. Castle, and V. Mor, “Facility characteristics associated with hospitalization of nursing home residents: results of a national study,” Medical Care, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 228–237, 1999.
- V. Mor, G. Papandonatos, and S. C. Miller, “End-of-life hospitalization for African American and non-latino white nursing home residents: variation by race and a facility's racial composition,” Journal of Palliative Medicine, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 58–68, 2005.
- D. D. Tresch, W. M. Simpson, and J. R. Burton, “Relationship of long-term and acute-care facilities. The problem of patient transfer and continuity of care,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 819–826, 1985.
- M. M. Bottrell, J. F. O'Sullivan, M. A. Robbins, E. L. Mitty, and M. D. Mezey, “Transferring dying nursing home residents to the hospital: DON perspectives on the nurse's role in transfer decisions,” Geriatric Nursing, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 313–317, 2001.
- J. L. Buchanan, R. L. Murkofsky, A. J. O'Malley et al., “Nursing home capabilities and decisions to hospitalize: a survey of medical directors and directors of nursing,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 458–465, 2006.
- Y. Young, N. R. Barhydt, S. Broderick, A. D. Colello, and E. L. Hannan, “Factors associated with potentially preventable hospitalization in nursing home residents in New York state: a survey of directors of nursing,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 58, no. 5, pp. 901–907, 2010.
- D. C. Grabowski, A. J. O'Malley, and N. R. Barhydt, “The costs and potential savings associated with nursing home hospitalizations,” Health Affairs, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 1753–1761, 2007.
- O. Intrator, J. Zinn, and V. Mor, “Nursing home characteristics and potentially preventable hospitalizations of long-stay residents,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 52, no. 10, pp. 1730–1736, 2004.
- L. Byrd, “Reducing avoidable hospitalizations in nursing could save $1 billion annually—so why delay?” Geriatric Nursing, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 365–369, 2009.
- E. Hutt, M. Ecord, T. B. Eilertsen, E. Frederickson, and A. M. Kramer, “Precipitants of emergency room visits and acute hospitalization in short-stay medicare nursing home residents,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 223–229, 2002.
- E. M. McMahan, K. Hoffman, and G. W. McGee, “Physician-nurse relationships in clinical settings: a review and critique of the literature, 1966–1992,” Medical Care Review, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 83–112, 1994.
- F. P. Robinson, G. Gorman, L. W. Slimmer, and R. Yudkowsky, “Perceptions of effective and ineffective nurse-physician communication in hospitals,” Nursing Forum, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 206–216, 2010.