- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Nursing Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 648405, 10 pages
Exploring Professional Support Offered by Midwives during Labour: An Observation and Interview Study
1School of Life Sciences, University of Skövde, P.O. Box 408, 54128 Skövde, Sweden
2School of Health and Medical Sciences, Örebro University, 70182 Örebro, Sweden
3Institute of Health and Care Sciences, The Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, P.O. Box 457, 40530 Gothenburg, Sweden
Received 27 September 2012; Accepted 2 November 2012
Academic Editor: Katri Vehviläinen-Julkunen
Copyright © 2012 Stina Thorstensson et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. P. Cowan and P. A. Cowan, When Partners Become Parents. The Big life Change for Couples, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah, NJ, USA, 2000.
- T. Deave, D. Johnson, and J. Ingram, “Transition to parenthood: the needs of parents in pregnancy and early parenthood,” BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, vol. 8, article 30, 2008.
- R. T. Mercer, First Time Mother Hood: Experiences from Teens to Forties, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1986.
- J. Raphael-Leff, Psychological Processes of Childbearing, Anna Freud Centre, Guildford, UK, 4th edition, 2005.
- E. D. Hodnett, S. Gates, G. J. Hofmeyr, C. Sakala, and J. Weston, “Continuous support for women during childbirth,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 2, Article ID CD003766, 2011.
- E. D. Hodnett, “Pain and women's satisfaction with the experience of childbirth: a systematic review,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 186, no. 5, pp. S160–S172, 2002.
- J. M. Green, “Commentary: what is this thing called “control”?” Birth, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 51–52, 1999.
- I. Lundgren, Releasing and Relieving Encounters. Experiences of Pregnancy and Childbirth, Faculty of medicine, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden, 2002.
- I. Lundgren, “Releasing and relieving encounters: experiences of pregnancy and childbirth,” Scandinavian Journal of Caring Sciences, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 368–375, 2004.
- H. P. Kennedy, “The midwife as an “instrument” of care,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 92, no. 11, pp. 1759–1760, 2002.
- P. Rosen, “Supporting women in labor: analysis of different types of caregivers,” Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 24–31, 2004.
- R. Kahn and T. Antonucci, “Convoys of the life course: attachment, roles and social support,” in Lifespan Development and Behavior, pp. 253–286, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1980.
- C. P. H. Langford, J. Bowsher, J. P. Maloney, and P. P. Lillis, “Social support: a conceptual analysis,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 95–100, 1997.
- I. Lundgren, S. I. Karlsdottir, and T. Bondas, “Long-term memories and experiences of childbirth in a nordic context—a secondary analysis,” International Journal of Qualitative Studies on Health and Well-Being, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 115–128, 2009.
- I. Lundgren, “Swedish women's experiences of doula support during childbirth,” Midwifery, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 173–180, 2010.
- I. D. Graham, J. Logan, B. Davies, and C. Nimrod, “Changing the use of electronic fetal monitoring and labor support: a case study of barriers and facilitators,” Birth, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 293–301, 2004.
- E. D. Hodnett, N. K. Lowe, M. E. Hannah, et al., “Effectiveness of nurses as providers of birth labor support in noth american hospitals,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 18, no. 11, pp. 1373–1381, 2002.
- B. Hunter, “Conflicting ideologies as a source of emotion work in midwifery,” Midwifery, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 261–272, 2004.
- T. Lavender and J. Chapple, “An exploration of midwives' views of the current system of maternity care in England,” Midwifery, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 324–334, 2004.
- E. D. Hodnett, S. Downe, D. Walsh, and J. Weston, “Alternative versus conventional institutional settings for birth,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 9, Article ID CD000012, 2010.
- K. Sutcliffe, J. Caird, J. Kavanagh, et al., “Comparing midwife-led and doctor-led maternity care: a systematic review of reviews,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 68, no. 11, pp. 2376–2386, 2012.
- C. Nilsson, T. Bondas, and I. Lundgren, “Previous birth experience in women with intense fear of childbirth,” Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 298–309, 2010.
- R. Jordan and C. L. Farley, “The confidence to practice midwifery: preceptor influence on student self-efficacy,” Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 413–420, 2008.
- G. Lange and H. P. Kennedy, “Student perceptions of ideal and actual midwifery practice,” Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 71–77, 2006.
- S. Thorstensson, E. Nissen, and A. Ekström, “An exploration and description of student midwives' experiences in offering continuous labour support to women/couples,” Midwifery, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 451–459, 2008.
- C. M. Begley, “'Giving midwifery care': student midwives' views of their working role,” Midwifery, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 24–34, 2001.
- M. Q. Patton, Qualitative Research and Evaluation Methods, vol. 1, Sage, Thousand Oaks, Calif, USA, 3rd edition, 2002.
- C. Rees, An Introduction to Research for Midwives, Books for Midwives Press, Hale, UK, 1st edition, 1997.
- S. Kvale, Den Kvalitativa Forskningsintervjun, Studentlitteratur, Lund, Sweden, 1997.
- H. G. Gadamer, Sanning Och Metod I Urval, Daidalos, Gothenburg, Sweden, 2002.
- S. J. Sundeen, Nurse-Client Interaction; Implementing the Nursing Process, Mosby, St. Louis, Mo, USA, 6th edition, 1998.
- M. Nyström and K. Dahlberg, “Pre-understanding and openness—a relationship without hope?” Scandinavian Journal of Caring Sciences, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 339–346, 2001.
- K. Dahlberg, H. Dahlberg, and M. Nyström, Reflective Lifeworld Research, Studentlitteratur, Lund, Sweden, 2nd edition, 2008.
- S. Downe and C. McCourt, “From being to becoming: reconstructing childbirth knowledges,” in Normal Childbirth, Evidence and Debate, S. Downe, Ed., Elsevier Limited, London, UK, 2008.
- M. Foureur, “Creating birth space to enable undisturbed birth,” in Birth Territory and Midwifery Guardianship, K. Fahy, M. Foureur, and C. Hastie, Eds., Book for Midwives, Elsevier, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2008.
- K. Uvnäs-Moberg and E. Nissen, “Graviditet, hormoner och känsloliv,” in Psykosocial Obstetrik, B. Sjögren, Ed., Studentlitteratur, Lund, Sweden, 2005.
- S. Halldorsdottir and S. I. Karlsdottir, “Journeying through labour and delivery: perceptions of women who have given birth,” Midwifery, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 48–61, 1996.
- H. P. Kennedy, T. Anderson, and N. Leap, “Midwifery presence: philosophy, science and art,” in Essential Midwifery Practice: Intrapartum Care, D. Walsh and S. Downe, Eds., Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, UK, 2010.
- B. Molander, Kunskap I Handling, vol. 1, Daidalos AB, Gothenburg, Sweden, 2004.
- B. Hunter, M. Berg, I. Lundgren, O. A. Ólafsdóttir, and M. Kirkham, “Relationships: the hidden threads in the tapestry of maternity care,” Midwifery, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 132–137, 2008.
- M. J. Somers-Smith, “A place for the partner? expectations and experiences of support during childbirth,” Midwifery, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 101–108, 1999.
- C. Bäckström and E. Hertfelt Wahn, “Support during labour: first-time fathers' descriptions of requested and received support during the birth of their child,” Midwifery, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 67–73, 2011.
- S. Chandler and P. A. Field, “Becoming a father: first-time fathers' experience of labor and delivery,” Journal of Nurse-Midwifery, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 17–24, 1997.
- L. Genesoni and M. A. Tallandini, “Men's psychological transition to fatherhood: an analysis of the literature, 1989–2008,” Birth, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 305–317, 2009.
- Å. Premberg, G. Carlsson, A. L. Hellström, and M. Berg, “First-time fathers' experiences of childbirth-a phenomenological study,” Midwifery, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 848–853, 2010.
- J. B. Brown, C. Beckhoff, J. Bickford, M. Stewart, T. R. Freeman, and M. J. Kasperski, “Women and their partners' perceptions of the key roles of the labor and delivery nurse,” Clinical Nursing Research, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 323–335, 2009.
- K. Vehviläinen-Julkunen and A. Liukkonen, “Fathers' experiences of childbirth,” Midwifery, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 10–17, 1998.
- H. L. Longworth and C. K. Kingdon, “Fathers in the birth room: what are they expecting and experiencing? A phenomenological study,” Midwifery, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 588–594, 2011.
- M. Eliasson, G. Kainz, and I. Von Post, “Uncaring midwives,” Nursing Ethics, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 501–511, 2008.
- A. Rudman, E.-K. Bassam, and U. Waldenström, “Women's satisfaction with intrapartum care—a pattern approach,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 474–487, 2007.
- M. Alvesson and K. Sköldberg, Tolkning Och Reflektion. Vetenskapsfilosofi Och kvalitativ Metod, Studentlitteratur, Lund, Sweden, 2nd edition, 2008.
- P. J. Ödman, “Den hermeneutiska cirkelns gränser. Till validitetsfrågan inom hermeneutiken,” in Text & Existens. Hermeneutik Möter Samhällsvetenskap, S. Selander and P. J. Ödman, Eds., pp. 81–117, Daidalos förlag AB, Riga, Lettland, 2004.