- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Nursing Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 937906, 9 pages
Best Practices in Academic Mentoring: A Model for Excellence
1School of Nursing, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA 92350, USA
2Department of Nursing, Saniku Gakuin College, Otaki-machi, Chiba-ken 298-0297, Japan
3School of Nursing, BryanLGH College of Health Sciences, 5035 Everett Street, Lincoln, NE 68506, USA
4Department of Nursing and Health Professions, State University of New York Institute of Technology, 100 Seymour Road, Utica, NY 13502, USA
5College of Nursing, University of Cincinnati, 3110 Vine Street, Cincinnati, OH 45221-0038, USA
6School of Nursing, Suffolk County Community College, 533 College Road, Selden, NY 11874, USA
7Department of Nursing, Shepherd University, P.O. Box 5000, 301 North King Street, Shepherdstown, WV 25443-5000, USA
8School of Nursing, Minnesota State University Mankato, 360 Wissink Hall, Mankato, MN 56001, USA
9School of Nursing, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, 800 West4th Street, Odessa, TX79763, USA
10School of Nursing, Oregon Health & Science University, 3455 SW Veterans' Hospital Road, Portland, OR 97239, USA
11School of Nursing, Indiana University, 1033 East Third Street, Bloomington, IN 47405, USA
12School of Nursing, Ball State University, Muncie, IN 47306, USA
Received 15 December 2011; Accepted 8 February 2012
Academic Editor: Olive Yonge
Copyright © 2012 Jan M. Nick et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- National League for Nursing, “Position statement: mentoring of nurse faculty,” Nursing Education Perspectives, vol. 27, pp. 110–113, 2006.
- P. K. Young, “Update on the NLN/Johnson & Johnson faculty leadership and mentoring program,” Nursing Education Perspectives, vol. 30, article 261, 2009.
- E. C. Carey and D. E. Weissman, “Understanding and finding mentorship: a review for junior faculty,” Journal of Palliative Medicine, vol. 13, no. 11, pp. 1373–1379, 2010.
- E. Stokes, “Faculty to faculty mentoring,” in Teaching Nursing: The Art & Science, L. Caputi, Ed., pp. 514–525, College of Du Page Press, Glen Ellyn, Ill, USA, 2nd edition, 2010.
- D. L. Haggard, T. W. Dougherty, D. B. Turban, and J. E. Wilbanks, “Who is a mentor? A review of evolving definitions and implications for research,” Journal of Management, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 280–304, 2011.
- B. Turnbull, “Scholarship and mentoring: an essential partnership?” International Journal of Nursing Practice, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 573–578, 2010.
- W. Hart, “Nurturing relationships provide many benefits,” Leadership in Action, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 17–19, 2009.
- A. G. Wasserstein, D. A. Quistberg, and J. A. Shea, “Mentoring at the University of Pennsylvania: results of a faculty survey,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 210–214, 2007.
- D. Sambunjak, S. E. Straus, and A. Marušić, “Mentoring in academic medicine: a systematic review,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 296, no. 9, pp. 1103–1115, 2006.
- F. Piercy, V. Giddings, K. Allen, B. Dixon, P. Meszaros, and K. Joest, “Improving campus climate to support faculty diversity and retention: a pilot program for new faculty,” Innovative Higher Education, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 53–66, 2005.
- J. A. Smith and H. Zsohar, “Essentials of neophyte mentorship in relation to the faculty shortage,” Journal of Nursing Education, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 184–186, 2007.
- V. H. Coleman, M. L. Power, S. Williams, A. Carpentieri, and J. Schulkin, “Continuing professional development: racial and gender differences in obstetrics and gynecology residents' perceptions of mentoring,” Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 268–277, 2005.
- R. A. Berk, “Where’s the chemistry in mentor-mentee academic relationships? Try speed mentoring!,” International Journal of Mentoring and Coaching, vol. 8, pp. 85–89, 2010.
- B. Bozeman and M. K. Feeney, “Mentor matching: a “goodness of fit” model,” Administration and Society, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 465–482, 2008.
- L. T. Eby, M. M. Butts, J. Durley, and B. R. Ragins, “Are bad experiences stronger than good ones in mentoring relationships? Evidence from the protégé and mentor perspective,” Journal of Vocational Behavior, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 81–92, 2010.
- L. T. Eby and A. Lockwood, “Protégés' and mentors' reactions to participating in formal mentoring programs: a qualitative investigation,” Journal of Vocational Behavior, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 441–458, 2005.
- G. T. Chao, “Formal mentoring: lessons learned from past practice,” Professional Psychology, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 314–320, 2009.
- T. D. Allen, L. T. Eby, and E. Lentz, “The relationship between formal mentoring program characteristics and perceived program effectiveness,” Personnel Psychology, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 125–153, 2006.
- T. D. Allen, L. T. Eby, and E. Lentz, “Mentorship behaviors and mentorship quality associated with formal mentoring programs: closing the gap between research and practice,” Journal of Applied Psychology, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 567–578, 2006.
- M. R. Parise and M. L. Forret, “Formal mentoring programs: the relationship of program design and support to mentors' perceptions of benefits and costs,” Journal of Vocational Behavior, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 225–240, 2008.
- J. Headlam-Wells, J. Gosland, and J. Craig, “‘There's magic in the web’: e-mentoring for women's career development,” Career Development International, vol. 10, no. 6-7, pp. 444–459, 2005.
- M. D. Sorcinelli and J. Yun, “From mentor to mentoring networks: mentoring in the new academy,” Change, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 58–61, 2007.
- C. B. Wilson, J. Brannan, and A. White, “A mentor-protégé program for new faculty, part II: stories of mentors,” Journal of Nursing Education, vol. 49, no. 12, pp. 665–671, 2010.
- A. White, J. Brannan, and C. B. Wilson, “A mentor-protégé program for new faculty, part I: stories of protégés,” Journal of Nursing Education, vol. 49, no. 11, pp. 601–606, 2010.
- A. McCloughen, L. O'Brien, and D. Jackson, “Esteemed connection: creating a mentoring relationship for nurse leadership,” Nursing Inquiry, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 326–336, 2009.
- AAUP Policy, “On collegiality as a criterion for faculty evaluation,” 2006, http://www.aaup.org/AAUP/pubsres/policydocs/contents/collegiality.htm.
- M. Fischer, “Defending collegiality,” Change, May-June, 2009, http://www.changemag.org/May-June%202009/full-defending-collegiality.html.
- L. Pololi and S. Knight, “Mentoring faculty in academic medicine: a new paradigm?” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 866–870, 2005.
- G. A. Farrell, C. Bobrowski, and P. Bobrowski, “Scoping workplace aggression in nursing: findings from an Australian study,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 778–787, 2006.
- D. Yildirim, “Bullying among nurses and its effects,” International Nursing Review, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 504–511, 2009.
- C. M. Clark, “Faculty and student assessment of and experience with incivility in nursing education,” Journal of Nursing Education, vol. 47, no. 10, pp. 458–465, 2008.
- E. A. Gazza, “The experience of being a full-time nursing faculty member in a baccalaureate nursing education program,” Journal of Professional Nursing, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 218–226, 2009.
- National League for Nursing, “The healthful work environment tool kit,” 2006, http://www.nln.org/facultydevelopment/HealthfulWorkEnvironment/index.htm.
- M. S. Brady, “Healthy nursing academic work environments,” Online Journal of Issues in Nursing, vol. 15, no. 1, 2010.
- E. A. Gazza and P. Young, “Cultivating healthful work environments in nursing education,” Nursing Education Perspectives, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 56–57, 2008.
- T. D. Allen, K. M. Shockley, and L. Poteat, “Protégé anxiety attachment and feedback in mentoring relationships,” Journal of Vocational Behavior, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 73–80, 2010.
- K. E. Eifler and L. M. Veltri, “Drawing from the outside for support in teaching,” Journal of Nursing Education, vol. 49, no. 11, pp. 623–627, 2010.
- J. Gustin and J. A. Tulsky, “Effective ‘on-boarding’: transitioning from trainee to faculty,” Journal of Palliative Medicine, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 1279–1283, 2010.
- L. Gagen and S. Bowie, “Effective mentoring: a case for training mentors for novice teachers,” Journal of Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, vol. 76, no. 7, pp. 40–45, 2005.
- J. A. V. Sawatzky and C. L. Enns, “A Mentoring needs assessment: validating mentorship in nursing education,” Journal of Professional Nursing, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 145–150, 2009.
- E. M. Aagaard and K. E. Hauer, “A cross-sectional descriptive study of mentoring relationships formed by medical students,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 298–302, 2003.
- V. A. Jackson, A. Palepu, L. Szalacha, C. Caswell, P. L. Carr, and T. Inui, “‘Having the right chemistry’: a qualitative study of mentoring in academic medicine,” Academic Medicine, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 328–334, 2003.
- S. E. Straus, F. Chatur, and M. Taylor, “Issues in the mentor-mentee relationship in academic medicine: a qualitative study,” Academic Medicine, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 135–139, 2009.
- R. Boice, Advice for New Faculty Members: Nihil Nimus, Allyn & Bacon, Needham Heights, Mass, USA, 1st edition, 2000.
- C. H. Zambroski and L. H. Freeman, “Faculty role transition from a community college to a research-intensive university,” Journal of Nursing Education, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 104–106, 2004.
- M. O. Johnson, L. L. Subak, J. S. Brown, K. A. Lee, and M. D. Feldman, “An innovative program to train health sciences researchers to be effective clinical and translational research mentors,” Academic Medicine, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 484–489, 2010.
- P. J. McDonald, “Transitioning from clinical practice to nursing faculty: lessons learned,” Journal of Nursing Education, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 126–131, 2010.
- H. C. Greene, K. A. O’Connor, A. J. Good, C. C. Ledford, B. B. Peel, and G. Zhang, “Building a support system toward tenure: challenges and needs of tenure-track faculty in colleges of education,” Mentoring & Tutoring, vol. 16, pp. 429–447, 2008.
- A. Jones, “Preparing new faculty members for their teaching role,” New Directions for Higher Education, vol. 143, pp. 93–100, 2008.
- T. A. Ortelli, “Defining the professional responsibilities of academic nurse educators: the results of a national practice analysis,” Nursing Education Perspectives, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 242–246, 2006.
- L. Cariaga-Lo, P. W. Dawkins, R. Enger, A. Schotter, and C. Spence, “Supporting the development of the professoriate,” Peer Review, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 19–22, 2010.