- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Obstetrics and Gynecology International
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 308609, 6 pages
Quality of Life in Endometrial Cancer Survivors: What Does Obesity Have to Do with It?
1Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Greater Baltimore Medical Center/Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD 21204, USA
2Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
3Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Akron General Medical Center, Akron, OH 44302, USA
4Center for Science, Health and Society, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
5Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Summa Akron City Hospital, Akron, OH 44309, USA
Received 29 April 2011; Revised 1 August 2011; Accepted 7 September 2011
Academic Editor: Diane C. Bodurka
Copyright © 2011 Amanda Nickles Fader et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Asadi-Lari, M. Tamburini, and D. Gray, “Patients' needs, satisfaction, and health related quality of life: towards a comprehensive model,” Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, vol. 2, no. 1, article 32, pp. 1–15, 2004.
- R. L. Schilsky, K. M. Templeton-Somers, et al., “Food and drug administration center for drug evaluation and research,” in Proceedings of the 64th Meeting of the Oncologic Drug Advisory Committee, December 1999.
- A. Jemal, R. Siegel, J. Xu, and E. Ward, “Cancer statistics, 2010,” CA Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 277–300, 2010.
- V. E. von Gruenigen, C. Tian, H. Frasure, S. Waggoner, H. Keys, and R. R. Barakat, “Treatment effects, disease recurrence, and survival in obese women with early endometrial carcinoma: a Gynecologic Oncology Group Study,” Cancer, vol. 107, no. 12, pp. 2786–2791, 2006.
- V. E. von Gruenigen, K. S. Courneya, H. E. Gibbons, M. B. Kavanagh, S. E. Waggoner, and E. Lerner, “Feasibility and effectiveness of a lifestyle intervention program in obese endometrial cancer patients: a randomized trial,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 19–26, 2008.
- K. S. Courneya, K. H. Karvinen, K. L. Campbell et al., “Associations among exercise, body weight, and quality of life in a population-based sample of endometrial cancer survivors,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 422–430, 2005.
- W. M. Hopman, C. Berger, L. Joseph et al., “The association between body mass index and health-related quality of life: data from CaMos, a stratified population study,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 1595–1603, 2007.
- G. K. Reeves, K. Pirie, V. Beral, J. Green, E. Spencer, and D. Bull, “Cancer incidence and mortality in relation to body mass index in the Million Women Study: cohort study,” British Medical Journal, vol. 335, no. 7630, pp. 1134–1139, 2007.
- S. Abu-Abid, A. Szold, and J. Klausner, “Obesity and cancer,” Journal of Medicine, vol. 33, no. 1–4, pp. 73–86, 2002.
- P. Hossain, B. Kawar, and M. El Nahas, “Obesity and diabetes in the developing world—a growing challenge,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 356, no. 3, pp. 213–215, 2007.
- E. E. Calle, C. Rodriguez, K. Walker-Thurmond, and M. J. Thun, “Overweight, obesity, and mortality from cancer in a prospectively studied cohort of U.S. Adults,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 348, no. 17, pp. 1625–1638, 2003.
- V. E. von Gruenigen, S. E. Waggoner, H. E. Frasure et al., “Lifestyle challenges in endometrial cancer survivorship,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 117, no. 1, pp. 93–100, 2011.
- V. E. von Gruenigen, K. M. Gil, H. E. Frasure, E. L. Jenison, and M. P. Hopkins, “The impact of obesity and age on quality of life in gynecologic surgery,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 193, no. 4, pp. 1369–1375, 2005.
- J. E. Ware, M. Kosinski, and S. D. Keller, SF-36 Physical and Mental Health Summary Scales: A User's Manual, Health Assessment Lab, Boston, Mass, USA, 1994.
- P. Nieboer, C. Buijs, S. Rodenhuis et al., “Fatigue and relating factors in high-risk breast cancer patients treated with adjuvant standard or high-dose chemotherapy: a longitudinal study,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 23, no. 33, pp. 8296–8304, 2005.
- D. F. Cella, D. S. Tulsky, G. Gray et al., “The functional assessment of cancer therapy scale: development and validation of the general measure,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 570–579, 1993.
- K. Webster, D. Cella, and K. Yost, “The Functional Assessment of Chronic Illness Therapy (FACIT) measurement system: properties, applications, and interpretation,” Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, vol. 1, article 79, 2003.
- USDHHS, Physical Activity and Health: A Report of the Surgeon General, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 1996.
- E. J. Groessl, R. M. Kaplan, E. Barrett-Connor, and T. G. Ganiats, “Body mass index and quality of well-being in a community of older adults,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 126–129, 2004.
- M. Klee and D. Machin, “Health-related quality of life of patients with endometrial cancer who are disease-free following external irradiation,” Acta Oncologica, vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 816–824, 2001.
- C. Li, G. Samsioe, and C. Iosif, “Quality of life in endometrial cancer survivors,” Maturitas, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 227–236, 1999.
- L. V. van de Poll-Franse, F. Mols, M. -L. Essink-Bot et al., “Impact of external beam adjuvant radiotherapy on health-related quality of life for long-term survivors of endometrial adenocarcinoma: a population-based study,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 125–132, 2007.
- D. Lauver, K. Connolly-Nelson, and P. Vang, “Health-related goals in female cancer survivors after treatment,” Cancer Nursing, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 9–15, 2007.
- K. Basen-Engquist, S. Scruggs, A. Jhingran et al., “Physical activity and obesity in endometrial cancer survivors: associations with pain, fatigue, and physical functioning,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 200, no. 3, pp. 288e1–288e8, 2009.
- A. L. Schwartz, “Understanding and treating cancer-related fatigue,” Oncology, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 30–35, 2007.
- D. L. Barton, G. S. Soori, B. A. Bauer et al., “Pilot study of Panax quinquefolius (American ginseng) to improve cancer-related fatigue: a randomized, double-blind, dose-finding evaluation: NCCTG trial N03CA,” Supportive Care in Cancer, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 179–187, 2010.