- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Obstetrics and Gynecology International
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 973830, 6 pages
Are Costs of Robot-Assisted Surgery Warranted for Gynecological Procedures?
1Department of Gynecology, Sint Augustinus Hospital, B2610 Wilrijk, Belgium
2Department of Medical Oncology, Sint Augustinus Hospital, B2610 Wilrijk, Belgium
Received 14 May 2011; Accepted 6 July 2011
Academic Editor: Linus Chuang
Copyright © 2011 Peter van Dam et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. G. Hockstein, C. G. Gourin, R. A. Faust, and D. J. Terris, “A history of robots: from science fiction to surgical robotics,” Journal of Robotic Surgery, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 113–118, 2007.
- A. P. Advincula and K. Wang, “Evolving role and current state of robotics in minimally invasive gynecologic surgery,” Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 291–301, 2009.
- Y. S. Kwoh, J. Hou, E. A. Jonckheere, and S. Hayati, “A robot with improved absolute positioning accuracy for CT guided stereotactic brain surgery,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 153–160, 1988.
- J. D. Luketich, H. C. Fernando, P. O. Buenaventura, N. A. Christie, S. C. Grondin, and P. R. Schauer, “Results of a randomized trial of HERMES-assisted vs non-HERMES-assisted laparoscopic antireflux surgery,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 1264–1266, 2002.
- J. Marescaux and F. Rubino, “The ZEUS robotic system: experimental and clinical applications,” Surgical Clinics of North America, vol. 83, no. 6, pp. 1305–1315, 2003.
- H. W. R. Schreuder and R. H. M. Verheijen, “Robotic surgery,” BJOG, vol. 116, no. 2, pp. 198–213, 2009.
- L. Bren, “Alternatives to hysterectomy. New technologies, more options,” FDA Consumer, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 23–28, 2001.
- C. C. G. Chen and T. Falcone, “Robotic gynecologic surgery: past, present, and future,” Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 335–343, 2009.
- J. P. Lenihan, C. Kovanda, and U. Seshadri-Kreaden, “What is the learning curve for robotic assisted gynecologic surgery,” Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 589–594, 2008.
- R. W. Holloway, S. D. Patel, and S. Ahmad, “Robotic surgery in gynecology,” Scandinavian Journal of Surgery, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 96–109, 2009.
- Y. Lotan, “Economics of robotics in urology,” Current Opinion in Urology, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 92–97, 2010.
- Y. Lotan and J. A. Cadeddu, “Financial aspects of laparoscopy,” in Textbook of Laparoscopic Urology, I. Gill, Ed., chapter 90, pp. 1009–1016, Informa Healthcare USA, Inc, New York, NY, USA, 2006.
- P. L. Steinberg, P. A. Merguerian, W. Bihrle, and J. D. Seigne, “The cost of learning robotic-assisted prostatectomy,” Urology, vol. 72, no. 5, pp. 1068–1072, 2008.
- P. L. Steinberg, P. A. Merguerian, W. Bihrle, J. A. Heaney, and J. D. Seigne, “A da Vinci robot system can make sense for a mature laparoscopic prostatectomy program,” Journal of the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 9–12, 2008.
- J. M. Albani and D. I. Lee, “Virtual reality-assisted robotic surgery simulation,” Journal of Endourology, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 285–287, 2007.
- L. S. Leddy, T. S. Lendvay, and R. M. Satava, “Robotic surgery: applications and cost effectiveness,” Open Access Surgery, vol. 3, pp. 99–107, 2010.
- L. G. Seamon, D. E. Cohn, M. S. Henretta et al., “Minimally invasive comprehensive surgical staging for endometrial cancer: robotics or laparoscopy?” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 113, no. 1, pp. 36–41, 2009.
- P. C. Lim, E. Kang, and D. H. Park, “A comparative detail analysis of the learning curve and surgical outcome for robotic hysterectomy with lymphadenectomy versus laparoscopic hysterectomy with lymphadenectomy in treatment of endometrial cancer: a case-matched controlled study of the first one hundred twenty two patients,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 120, no. 3, pp. 413–418, 2011.
- J. E. Cho, A. H. A. Shamshirsaz, C. Nezhat, C. Nezhat, and F. Nezhat, “New technologies for reproductive medicine: laparoscopy, endoscopy, robotic surgery and gynecology. A review of the literature,” Minerva Ginecologica, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 137–167, 2010.
- U. Matern and S. Koneczny, “Safety, hazards and ergonomics in the operating room,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 1965–1969, 2007.
- G. Tchartchian, J. Dietzel, B. Bojahr, A. Hackethal, and R. De Wilde, “Decreasing strain on the surgeon in gynecologic minimally invasive surgery by using semi-active robotics,” International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics, vol. 112, no. 1, pp. 72–75, 2011.
- D. Sarlos, L. Kots, N. Stevanovic, and G. Schaer, “Robotic hysterectomy versus conventional laparoscopic hysterectomy: outcome and cost analyses of a matched case-control study,” European Journal of Obstetrics Gynecology and Reproductive Biology, vol. 150, no. 1, pp. 92–96, 2010.
- R. P. Pasic, J. A. Rizzo, H. Fang, S. Ross, M. Moore, and C. Gunnarsson, “Comparing robot-assisted with conventional laparoscopic hysterectomy: impact on cost and clinical outcomes,” Journal of minimally invasive gynecology, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 730–738, 2010.
- J. C. Barnett, J. P. Judd, J. M. Wu, C. D. Scales, E. R. Myers, and L. J. Havrilesky, “Cost comparison among robotic, laparoscopic, and open hysterectomy for endometrial cancer,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 116, no. 3, pp. 685–693, 2010.
- A. K. Rodgers, J. M. Goldberg, J. P. Hammel, and T. Falcone, “Tubal anastomosis by robotic compared with outpatient minilaparotomy,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 109, no. 6, pp. 1375–1380, 2007.
- S. P. Dharia Patel, M. P. Steinkampf, S. J. Whitten, and B. A. Malizia, “Robotic tubal anastomosis: surgical technique and cost effectiveness,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 1175–1179, 2008.
- J. Heemskerk, D. E. N. M. De Hoog, W. G. Van Gemert, C. G. M. I. Baeten, J. W. M. Greve, and N. D. Bouvy, “Robot-assisted vs. conventional laparoscopic rectopexy for rectal prolapse: a comparative study on costs and time,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 50, no. 11, pp. 1825–1830, 2007.
- A. P. Advincula, X. Xu, S. Goudeau, and S. B. Ransom, “Robot-assisted laparoscopic myomectomy versus abdominal myomectomy: a comparison of short-term surgical outcomes and immediate costs,” Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 698–705, 2007.
- M. C. Bell, J. Torgerson, U. Seshadri-Kreaden, A. W. Suttle, and S. Hunt, “Comparison of outcomes and cost for endometrial cancer staging via traditional laparotomy, standard laparoscopy and robotic techniques,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 111, no. 3, pp. 407–411, 2008.
- C. Bolenz, A. Gupta, T. Hotze et al., “Cost comparison of robotic, laparoscopic and open radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer,” European Urology, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 453–458, 2010.
- A. Smith, R. Kurpad, A. Lal, M. Nielsen, E. M. Wallen, and R. S. Pruthi, “Cost analysis of robotic versus open radical prostatectomy for bladder cancer,” Journal of Urology, vol. 183, no. 2, pp. 505–509, 2010.
- S. Breitenstein, A. Nocito, M. Puhan, U. Held, M. Weber, and P. A. Clavien, “Robotic-assisted versus laparoscopic cholecystectomy: outcome and cost analyses of a case-matched control study,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 247, no. 6, pp. 987–993, 2008.
- G. Hubens, L. Balliu, M. Ruppert, B. Gypen, T. Van Tu, and W. Vaneerdeweg, “Roux-en-Y gastric bypass procedure performed with the da Vinci robot system: is it worth it?” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 1690–1696, 2008.
- B. J. Park and R. M. Flores, “Cost comparison of robotic, video-asisted thoracic surgery and thoracotomy approaches to pulmonary lobectomy,” Thoracic Surgery Clinics, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 297–300, 2008.
- G. Casali and W. S. Walker, “Video-assisted thoracic surgery lobectomy: can we afford it?” European Journal of Cardio-thoracic Surgery, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 423–428, 2009.
- B. Jones, P. Desai, and R. Poston, “Establishing the case for minimally invasive, robotic-assisted CABG in the treatment of multivessel coronary artery disease,” Heart Surgery Forum, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. E147–E149, 2009.
- J. K. Kam, S. D. Cooray, J. K. Kam, J. A. Smith, and A. A. Almeida, “A cost-analysis study of robotic versus conventional mitral valve repair,” Heart Lung and Circulation, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 413–418, 2010.
- J. A. Morgan, B. A. Thornton, J. C. Peacock et al., “Does robotic technology make minimally invasive cardiac surgery too expensive? A hospital cost analysis of robotic and conventional techniques,” Journal of Cardiac Surgery, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 246–251, 2005.
- M. Anderberg, C. C. Kockum, and E. Arnbjornsson, “Paediatric robotic surgery in clinical practice: a cost analysis,” European Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 311–315, 2009.
- G. I. Barbash and S. A. Glied, “New technology and health care costs—the case of robot-assisted surgery,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 363, no. 8, pp. 701–704, 2010.
- P. van Dam, J. Hauspy, L. Verkinderen, B. Trinh, L. Van Looy, and L. Dirix, “Do costs of robotic surgery matter?” in Advanced Endoscopic Gynecology, Intech, 2011.
- C. F. Snyder, K. D. Frick, A. L. Blackford et al., “How does initial treatment choice affect short-term and long-term costs for clinically localized prostate cancer?” Cancer, vol. 116, no. 23, pp. 5391–5399, 2010.
- G. Gaia, R. W. Holloway, L. Santoro, S. Ahmad, E. Di Silverio, and A. Spinillo, “Robotic-assisted hysterectomy for endometrial cancer compared with traditional laparoscopic and laparotomy approaches: a systematic review,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 116, no. 6, pp. 1422–1431, 2010.
- M. Graefen, “Low quality of evidence for robot-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy: a problem not only in robotic literature,” European Urology, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 938–940, 2010.