- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Obstetrics and Gynecology International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 194839, 7 pages
Radiofrequency Ablation for Treatment of Symptomatic Uterine Fibroids
1Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Bradford Royal Infirmary, Duckworth Lane, Bradford BD9 6RJ, UK
2Gynesonics, Inc., 604 Fifth Avenue, Suite D, Redwood City, CA 94063, USA
3Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Albert Einstein Medical Center, 5501 Old York Road, Philadelphia, PA 19141, USA
Received 13 June 2011; Accepted 21 July 2011
Academic Editor: Bharat Bassaw
Copyright © 2012 Siân Jones et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Day Baird, D. B. Dunson, M. C. Hill, et al., “High cumulative incidence of uterine leiomyoma in black and white women: ultrasound evidence,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 188, no. 1, pp. 100–107, 2003.
- M. Agdi and T. Tulandi, “Endoscopic management of uterine fibroids,” Best Practice and Research, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 707–716, 2008.
- S. Sulaiman, A. Khaund, N. McMillan, et al., “Uterine fibroids—do size and location determine menstrual blood loss?” European Journal of Obstetrics Gynecology and Reproductive Biology, vol. 115, no. 1, pp. 85–89, 2004.
- M. Clevenger-Hoeft, C. H. Syrop, D. W. Stovall, et al., “Sonohysterography in premenopausal women with and without abnormal bleeding,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. 516–520, 1999.
- M. H. Emanuel, M. J. C. Verdel, and H. Stas, “An audit of true prevalence of intra-uterine pathology: the hysteroscopical findings controlled for patient selection in 1202 patients with abnormal uterine bleeding,” Gynaecological Endoscopy, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 237–241, 1995.
- C. M. Farquhar and C. A. Steiner, “Hysterectomy rates in the United States 1990–1997,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 99, no. 2, pp. 229–234, 2002.
- L. A. Wise, J. R. Palmer, E. A. Stewart, et al., “Age-specific incidence rates for self-reported uterine leiomyomata in the Black Women's Health Study,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 105, no. 3, pp. 563–568, 2005.
- R. D. Edwards, J. G. Moss, M. A. Lumsden et al., “Uterine-artery embolization versus surgery for symptomatic uterine fibroids,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 356, no. 4, pp. 360–370, 2007.
- L. C. Edozien, “Hysterectomy for benign conditions,” British Medical Journal, vol. 330, no. 7506, pp. 1457–1458, 2005.
- J. B. Spies, K. Coyne, N. Guaou Guaou, et al., “The UFS-QOL, a new disease-specific symptom and health-related quality of life questionnaire for leiomyomata,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 99, no. 2, pp. 290–300, 2002.
- K. E. Hartmann, H. Birnbaum, R. Ben-Hamadi et al., “Annual costs associated with diagnosis of uterine leiomyomata,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 108, no. 4, pp. 930–937, 2006.
- M. Flynn, M. Jamison, S. Datta, et al., “Health care resource use for uterine fibroid tumors in theUnited States,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 195, no. 4, pp. 955–964, 2006.
- ACOG practice bulletin, “Alternatives to hysterectomy in the management of leiomyomas,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 112, no. 2, part 1, pp. 387–400, 2008.
- K. Gabriel-Cox, G. F. Jacobson, M. A. Armstrong, et al., “Predictors of hysterectomy after uterine artery embolization for leiomyoma,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 196, no. 6, pp. 588.e1–588.e6, 2007.
- J. Coad, “Thermal fixation: a central outcome of hyperthermic therapies,” in Thermal Treatment of Tissue: Energy Delivery and Assessment III, T. P. Ryan, Ed., vol. 5698 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 15–22, Bellingham, Wash, USA, 2005.
- F. M. Fennessy and C. M. Tempany, “A review of magnetic resonance imaging-guided focused ultrasound surgery of uterine fibroids,” Topics in Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 173–179, 2006.
- K. Funaki, K. Sawada, F. Maeda, et al., “Subjective effect of magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound surgery for uterine fibroids,” Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Research, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 834–839, 2007.
- G. K. Hesley, K. R. Gorny, T. L. Henrichsen, et al., “A clinical review of focused ultrasound ablation with magnetic resonance guidance: an option for treating uterine fibroids,” Ultrasound Quarterly, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 131–139, 2008.
- E. A. Stewart, W. M. Gedroyc, C. M. Tempany et al., “Focused ultrasound treatment of uterine fibroid tumors: safety and feasibility of a noninvasive thermoablative technique,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 189, no. 1, pp. 48–54, 2003.
- E. A. Stewart, B. Gostout, J. Rabinovici, et al., “Sustained relief of leiomyoma symptoms by using focused ultrasound surgery,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 110, no. 2, part 1, pp. 279–287, 2007.
- E. A. Stewart, J. Rabinovici, C. M. Tempany et al., “Clinical outcomes of focused ultrasound surgery for the treatment of uterine fibroids,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 22–29, 2006.
- E. K. Abdalla, J. N. Vauthey, L. M. Ellis et al., “Recurrence and outcomes following hepatic resection, radiofrequency ablation, and combined resection/ablation for colorectal liver metastases,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 239, no. 6, pp. 818–827, 2004.
- C. Aliberti, M. Soriani, M. Tilli, et al., “Radiofrequency ablation of liver malignancies: MRI for evaluation of response,” Journal of Chemotherapy, vol. 16, supplement 5, pp. 79–81, 2004.
- M. A. Arata, H. L. Nisenbaum, T. W. Clark, et al., “Percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of liver tumors with the LeVeen probe: is roll-off predictive of response?” Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 455–458, 2001.
- C. Bastide, S. Garcia, E. Anfossi, et al., “Histologic evaluation of radiofrequency ablation in renal cancer,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 32, no. 9, pp. 980–983, 2006.
- E. Berber, N. Flesher, and A. E. Siperstein, “Laparoscopic radiofrequency ablation of neuroendocrine liver metastases,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 985–990, 2002.
- M. O. Bojalian, G. R. Machado, R. Swensen, et al., “Radiofrequency ablation of liver metastasis from ovarian adenocarcinoma: case report and literature review,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 557–560, 2004.
- E. Buscarini, A. Savoia, G. Brambilla et al., “Radiofrequency thermal ablation of liver tumors,” European Radiology, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 884–894, 2005.
- R. Campagnacci, M. Guerrieri, A. De Sanctis, et al., “Laparoscopic radiofrequency renal ablation in patients with simultaneous visceral tumors: long-term follow-up,” Journal of Endourology, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 321–325, 2006.
- C. P. Cantwell and S. Eustace, “An unusual complication of radiofrequency ablation treatment of osteoid osteoma,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 451, pp. 290–291, 2006.
- P. S. Yip, Y. L. Lam, M. K. Chan, et al., “Computed tomography-guided percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of osteoid osteoma: local experience,” Hong Kong Medical Journal, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 305–309, 2006.
- J. Donnez, J. Squifflet, R. Polet, et al., “Laparoscopic myolysis,” Human Reproduction Update, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 609–613, 2000.
- H. A. Goldfarb, “Myoma coagulation (myolysis),” Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinics of North America, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 421–430, 2000.
- I. Szydłowska and A. Starczewski, “Laparoscopic coagulation of uterine myomas with the use of a unipolar electrode,” Surgical Laparoscopy, Endoscopy and Percutaneous Techniques, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 99–103, 2007.
- V. Bergamini, F. Ghezzi, A. Cromi et al., “Laparoscopic radiofrequency thermal ablation: a new approach to symptomatic uterine myomas,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 192, no. 3, pp. 768–773, 2005.
- G. Carrafiello, C. Recaldini, F. Fontana et al., “Ultrasound-guided radiofrequency thermal ablation of uterine fibroids: medium-term follow-up,” Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiology, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 113–119, 2010.
- H. H. Cho, J. H. Kim, and M. R. Kim, “Transvaginal radiofrequency thermal ablation: a day-care approach to symptomatic uterine myomas,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 296–301, 2008.
- F. Ghezzi, A. Cromi, V. Bergamini, et al., “Midterm outcome of radiofrequency thermal ablation for symptomatic uterine myomas,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 2081–2085, 2007.
- C. H. Kim, S. R. Kim, H. A. Lee, et al., “Transvaginal ultrasound-guided radiofrequency myolysis for uterine myomas,” Human Reproduction, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 559–563, 2011.
- C. Recaldini, G. Carrafiello, D. Lagana et al., “Percutaneous sonographically guided radiofrequency ablation of medium-sized fibroids: feasibility study,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 189, no. 6, pp. 1303–1306, 2007.
- J. Donnez, B. Schrurs, S. Gillerot, et al., “Treatment of uterine fibroids with implants of gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist: assessment by hysterography,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 947–950, 1989.
- J. Donnez, S. Gillerot, D. Bourgonjon, et al., “Neodymium: YAG laser hysteroscopy in large submucous fibroids,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 999–1003, 1990.
- A. Gallinat and R. Lueken, “Current trends in the therapy of myomata,” in Endoscopic Surgery in Gynecology, R. Leukin and A. Gallinat, Eds., pp. 71–88, Demeter Verlag GmBH, Berlin, Germany, 1993.
- H. A. Goldfarb, “Laparoscopic coagulation of myoma (myolysis),” Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinics of North America, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 807–819, 1995.
- H. A. Goldfarb, “Bipolar laparoscopic needles for myoma coagulation,” Journal of the American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 175–179, 1995.
- S. Arcangeli and M. M. Pasquarette, “Gravid uterine rupture after myolysis,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 89, no. 5, part 2, p. 857, 1997.
- D. R. Phillips, S. J. Milim, H. G. Nathanson, et al., “Experience with laparoscopic leiomyoma coagulation and concomitant operative hysteroscopy,” Journal of the American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 425–433, 1997.
- G. A. Vilos, L. J. Daly, and B. M. Tse, “Pregnancy outcome after laparoscopic electromyolysis,” Journal of the American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 289–292, 1998.
- C. Wood, P. Maher, and D. Hill, “Myoma reduction by electrocautery,” Gynaecological Endoscopy, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 163–165, 1994.
- J. P. McGahan, “Radiofrequency ablation for hepatocellular carcinoma,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 198, no. 5, pp. 853–855, 2004.
- J. P. McGahan, W. Z. Gu, J. M. Brock, et al., “Hepatic ablation using bipolar radiofrequency electrocautery,” Academic Radiology, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 418–422, 1996.
- S. Zaher, D. Lyons, and L. Regan, “Successful in vitro fertilization pregnancy following magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound surgery for uterine fibroids,” The Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Research, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 370–373, 2011.
- S. Zaher, D. Lyons, and L. Regan, “Uncomplicated term vaginal delivery following magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound surgery for uterine fibroids,” Biomedical Imaging and Intervention Journal, vol. 6, no. 2, Article ID e28, 2010.
- J. Rabinovici, M. David, H. Fukunishi, et al., “Pregnancy outcome after magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound surgery (MRgFUS) for conservative treatment of uterine fibroids,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 199–209, 2010.
- L. P. Gavrilova-Jordan, C. H. Rose, K. D. Traynor, et al., “Successful term pregnancy following MR-guided focused ultrasound treatment of uterine leiomyoma,” Journal of Perinatology, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 59–61, 2007.
- J. Garza-Leal, D. Toub, I. León et al., “Transcervical, intrauterine ultrasound-guided radiofrequency ablation of uterine fibroids with the VizAblate System: safety, tolerability, and ablation results in a closed abdomen setting,” Gynecological Surgery. In press.