- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Obstetrics and Gynecology International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 238061, 8 pages
Fertility-Sparing Surgery in Early Epithelial Ovarian Cancer: A Viable Option?
Department of Gynecology, European Competence Center for Ovarian Cancer, Campus Virchow Clinic, Charité University Hospital, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Received 2 November 2011; Accepted 19 December 2011
Academic Editor: Howard D. Homesley
Copyright © 2012 Christina Fotopoulou et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Vaughan, J. I. Coward, R. C. Bast Jr. et al., “Rethinking ovarian cancer: recommendations for improving outcomes,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 719–725, 2011.
- C. Fotopoulou, K. Savvatis, G. Schumacher, W. Lichtenegger, and J. Sehouli, “Surgical outcome and survival analysis of young patients with primary epithelial ovarian cancer,” Anticancer Research, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 2809–2815, 2009.
- A. C. Schlaerth, D. S. Chi, E. A. Poynor, R. R. Barakat, and C. L. Brown, “Long-term survival after fertility-sparing surgery for epithelial ovarian cancer,” International Journal of Gynecological Cancer, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 1199–1204, 2009.
- R. E. Bristow, B. E. Palis, D. S. Chi, and W. A. Cliby, “The National Cancer database report on advanced-stage epithelial ovarian cancer: impact of hospital surgical case volume on overall survival and surgical treatment paradigm,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 118, no. 3, pp. 262–267, 2010.
- C. Fotopoulou, G. Schumacher, J. C. Schefold, C. Denkert, W. Lichtenegger, and J. Sehouli, “Systematic evaluation of the intraoperative tumor pattern in patients with borderline tumor of the ovary,” International Journal of Gynecological Cancer, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 1550–1555, 2009.
- N. Rasool and P. G. Rose, “Fertility-preserving surgical procedures for patients with gynecologic malignancies,” Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 804–814, 2010.
- G. Mangili, C. Sigismondi, D. Lorusso et al., “Is surgical restaging indicated in apparent stage IA pure ovarian dysgerminoma? The MITO group retrospective experience,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 121, no. 2, pp. 280–284, 2011.
- E. S. Abdel-Hady, H. R. Abdel-Hady, A. Gamal, and M. El-Shamey, “Fertility sparing surgery for ovarian tumors in children and young adults,” Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics, vol. 285, no. 2, pp. 469–471, 2012.
- S. Palomba, A. Falbo, S. del Negro et al., “Ultra-conservative fertility-sparing strategy for bilateral borderline ovarian tumours: an 11-year follow-up,” Human Reproduction, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 1966–1972, 2010.
- J. Y. Park, D. Y. Kim, D. S. Suh et al., “Outcomes of fertility-sparing surgery for invasive epithelial ovarian cancer: oncologic safety and reproductive outcomes,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 110, no. 3, pp. 345–353, 2008.
- J. M. Schilder, A. M. Thompson, P. D. DePriest et al., “Outcome of reproductive age women with stage IA or IC invasive epithelial ovarian cancer treated with fertility-sparing therapy,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2002.
- G. Zanetta, S. Chiari, S. Rota et al., “Conservative surgery for stage I ovarian carcinoma in women of childbearing age,” British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 104, no. 9, pp. 1030–1035, 1997.
- H. Kajiyama, K. Shibata, M. Mizuno et al., “Fertility-sparing surgery in young women with mucinous adenocarcinoma of the ovary,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 122, no. 2, pp. 334–338, 2011.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, “ACOG Practice Bulletin: management of adnexal masses,” Obstetrics & Gynecology, vol. 110, pp. 201–214, 2007.
- S. Aebi and M. Castiglione, “Epithelial ovarian carcinoma: ESMO clinical recommendations for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 19, no. 2, supplement 2, pp. ii14–ii16, 2008.
- T. Satoh, M. Hatae, Y. Watanabe et al., “Outcomes of fertility-sparing surgery for stage I epithelial ovarian cancer: a proposal for patient selection,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 1727–1732, 2010.
- I. M. Shih and R. J. Kurman, “Ovarian tumorigenesis: a proposed model based on morphological and molecular genetic analysis,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 164, no. 5, pp. 1511–1518, 2004.
- Y. S. Kwon, H. S. Hahn, T. J. Kim et al., “Fertility preservation in patients with early epithelial ovarian cancer,” Journal of Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 44–47, 2009.
- H. Kajiyama, K. Shibata, S. Suzuki et al., “Is there any possibility of fertility-sparing surgery in patients with clear-cell carcinoma of the ovary?” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 111, no. 3, pp. 523–526, 2008.
- C. Borgfeldt, C. Iosif, and A. Måsbäck, “Fertility-sparing surgery and outcome in fertile women with ovarian borderline tumors and epithelial invasive ovarian cancer,” European Journal of Obstetrics Gynecology and Reproductive Biology, vol. 134, no. 1, pp. 110–114, 2007.
- H. Kajiyama, K. Shibata, M. Mizuno et al., “Long-term survival of young women receiving fertility-sparing surgery for ovarian cancer in comparison with those undergoing radical surgery,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 105, no. 9, pp. 1288–1294, 2011.
- H. Kajiyama, K. Shibata, M. Mizuno et al., “Fertility-sparing surgery in patients with clear-cell carcinoma of the ovary: is it possible?” Human Reproduction, vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 3297–3302, 3302.
- H. Kajiyama, K. Shibata, S. Suzuki et al., “Fertility-sparing surgery in young women with invasive epithelial ovarian cancer,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 404–408, 2010.
- E.-I. Braicu, J. Sehouli, R. Richter, K. Pietzner, C. Denkert, and C. Fotopoulou, “Role of histological type on surgical outcome and survival following radical primary tumour debulking of epithelial ovarian, fallopian tube and peritoneal cancers,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 105, no. 12, pp. 1818–1824, 2011.
- A. Bamias, T. Psaltopoulou, M. Sotiropoulou et al., “Mucinous but not clear cell histology is associated with inferior survival in patients with advanced stage ovarian carcinoma treated with platinum-paclitaxel chemotherapy,” Cancer, vol. 116, no. 6, pp. 1462–1468, 2010.
- A. H. Partridge, K. J. Ruddy, S. Gelber et al., “Ovarian reserve in women who remain premenopausal after chemotherapy for early stage breast cancer,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 638–644, 2010.
- K. Lutchman Singh, S. Muttukrishna, R. C. Stein et al., “Predictors of ovarian reserve in young women with breast cancer,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 96, no. 12, pp. 1808–1816, 2007.
- K. Hancke, V. Isachenko, E. Isachenko, and J. M. Weiss, “Prevention of ovarian damage and infertility in young female cancer patients awaiting chemotherapy-clinical approach and unsolved issues,” Supportive Care in Cancer, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 1909–1919, 2011.
- P. Morice, E. Leblanc, A. Rey et al., “Conservative treatment in epithelial ovarian cancer: results of a multicentre study of the GCCLCC (Groupe des Chirurgiens de Centre de Lutte Contre le Cancer) and SFOG (Société Française d'Oncologie Gynécologique),” Human Reproduction, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 1379–1385, 2005.
- P. Morice, F. Wicart-Poque, A. Rey et al., “Results of conservative treatment in epithelial ovarian carcinoma,” Cancer, vol. 92, no. 9, pp. 2412–2418, 2001.
- F. Raspagliesi, R. Fontanelli, D. Paladini, and E. M. di Re, “Conservative surgery in high-risk epithelial ovarian carcinoma,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 185, no. 5, pp. 457–460, 1997.
- B. B. O. Ustaalioglu, A. Bilici, U. Kefeli et al., “A retrospective analysis of women's chances to become pregnant after completion of chemotherapy: a single center experience,” Journal of B.U.ON., vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 349–352, 2011.
- S. S. Kim, J. R. Lee, B. C. Jee et al., “Use of hormonal protection for chemotherapy-induced gonadotoxicity,” Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 740–752, 2010.
- K. Behringer, L. Wildt, H. Mueller et al., “No protection of the ovarian follicle pool with the use of GnRH-analogues or oral contraceptives in young women treated with escalated BEACOPP for advanced-stage Hodgkin lymphoma. Final results of a phase II trial from the German Hodgkin Study Group,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 2052–2060, 2010.
- S. J. Tan, Y. C. Yeh, W. J. Shang, G. J. Wu, J. Y. Liu, and C. H. Chen, “Protective effect of a gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogue on chemotherapeutic agent-induced ovarian gonadotoxicity: a mouse model,” European Journal of Obstetrics Gynecology and Reproductive Biology, vol. 149, no. 2, pp. 182–185, 2010.
- Z. Blumenfeld and M. von Wolff, “GnRH-analogues and oral contraceptives for fertility preservation in women during chemotherapy,” Human Reproduction Update, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 543–552, 2008.
- F. E. Duncan, J. K. Jozefik, A. M. Kim, J. Hirshfeld-Cytron, and T. K. Woodruff, “The gynecologist has a unique role in providing oncofertility care to young cancer patients,” US Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 24–34, 2011.
- L. Lotz, M. Montag, H. van der Ven et al., “Xenotransplantation of cryopreserved ovarian tissue from patients with ovarian tumors into SCID mice - No evidence of malignant cell contamination,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 95, no. 8, pp. 2612–2614.e1, 2011.
- R. Soleimani, E. Heytens, R. van den Broecke et al., “Xenotransplantation of cryopreserved human ovarian tissue into murine back muscle,” Human Reproduction, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 1458–1470, 2010.