- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Obstetrics and Gynecology International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 321207, 6 pages
Nitroglycerin for Management of Retained Placenta: A Multicenter Study
1Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Södra Älvsborg Hospital, 501 82 Borås, Sweden
2Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, 413 45 Gothenburg, Sweden
3Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, NÄL Hospital, 461 85 Trollhättan, Sweden
4Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Vrinnevi Hospital, 603 79 Norrköping, Sweden
5Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Central Hospital of Karlstad, 651 85 Karlstad, Sweden
6Fertility Clinic Sør, Telemark Hospital, 3901 Porsgrunn, Norway
Received 31 January 2012; Revised 21 March 2012; Accepted 22 March 2012
Academic Editor: Russell K. Laros Jr.
Copyright © 2012 Maria Bullarbo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. A. Combs, E. L. Murphy, and R. K. Laros Jr., “Prolonged third stage of labor: morbidity and risk factors,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 77, no. 6, pp. 863–867, 1991.
- M. P. Dombrowski, S. F. Bottoms, A. A. Aziz Saleh, W. W. Hurd, and R. Romero, “Third stage of labor: analysis of duration and clinical practice,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 172, no. 4 I, pp. 1279–1284, 1995.
- A. Herman, Z. Weinraub, I. Bukovsky et al., “Dynamic ultrasonographic imaging of the third stage of labor: new perspectives into third-stage mechanisms,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 168, no. 5, pp. 1496–1499, 1993.
- A. M. Gülmezoglu and World Health Organization, WHO Guidelines for the Management of Postpartum Hemorrhage and Retained Placenta, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2009.
- A. D. Weeks, G. Alia, G. Vernon et al., “Umbilical vein oxytocin for the treatment of retained placenta (release study): a double-blind, randomised controlled trial,” The Lancet, vol. 375, no. 9709, pp. 141–147, 2010.
- M. Bullarbo, J. Tjugum, and E. Ekerhovd, “Sublingual nitroglycerin for management of retained placenta,” International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 228–232, 2005.
- E. Ekerhovd and M. Bullarbo, “Sublingual nitroglycerin seems to be effective in the management of retained placenta,” Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 222–225, 2008.
- E. Chandraharan and S. Srulkumaran, “Acute tocolysis,” Current Opinion in Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 151–156, 2005.
- H. Abdel-Aleem, M. A. Abdel-Aleem, and O. M. Shaaban, “Tocolysis for management of retained placenta,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol. 1, Article ID CD007708, 2011.
- A. T. C. Peng, R. S. Gorman, S. M. Shulman, E. DeMarchis, K. Nyunt, and L. S. Blancato, “Intravenous nitroglycerin for uterine relaxation in the postpartum patient with retained placenta,” Anesthesiology, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 172–173, 1989.
- C. A. DeSimone, M. C. Norris, and B. L. Leighton, “Intravenous nitroglycerin aids manual extraction of a retained placenta,” Anesthesiology, vol. 73, no. 4, article 787, 1990.
- I. P. Lowenwirt, R. M. Zauk, and S. M. Handwerker, “Safety of intravenous glyceryl trinitrate in management of retained placenta,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 20–24, 1997.
- P. Axemo, X. Fu, B. Lindberg, U. Ulmsten, and A. Wessen, “Intravenous nitroglycerin for rapid uterine relaxation,” Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 50–53, 1998.
- P. A. Chedraui and D. F. Insuasti, “Intravenous nitroglycerin in the management of retained placenta,” Gynecologic and Obstetric Investigation, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 61–64, 2003.
- A. D. Weeks, “The retained placenta,” Best Practice and Research, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 1103–1117, 2008.