- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Obstetrics and Gynecology International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 578490, 8 pages
Controversies in the Treatment of Early Stage Endometrial Carcinoma
Division of Gynaecologic Oncology, Segal Cancer Center, Jewish General Hospital, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada H3T 1E2
Received 20 September 2011; Accepted 18 January 2012
Academic Editor: Curt W. Burger
Copyright © 2012 Joshua Z. Press and Walter H. Gotlieb. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. J. Koh, “Early stage endometrial cancer: to radiate or not to radiate-that is the question,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 110, no. 3, pp. 271–274, 2008.
- D. Querleu, E. Leblanc, and B. Castelain, “Laparoscopic pelvic lymphadenectomy in the staging of early carcinoma of the cervix,” American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology, vol. 164, pp. 579–581, 1991.
- J. L. Walker, M. R. Piedmonte, N. M. Spirtos et al., “Laparoscopy compared with laparotomy for comprehensive surgical staging of uterine cancer: gynecologic Oncology Group Study LAP2,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 32, pp. 5331–5336, 2009.
- A. B. Kornblith, H. Q. Huang, J. L. Walker, N. M. Spirtos, J. Rotmensch, and D. Cella, “Quality of life of patients with endometrial cancer undergoing laparoscopic International Federation of gynecology and obstetrics staging compared with laparotomy: a Gynecologic Oncology Group study,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 32, pp. 5337–5342, 2009.
- M. Janda, V. Gebski, A. Brand et al., “Quality of life after total laparoscopic hysterectomy versus total abdominal hysterectomy for stage I endometrial cancer (LACE): a randomised trial,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 772–780, 2010.
- M. J. E. Mourits, C. B. Bijen, H. J. Arts et al., “Safety of laparoscopy versus laparotomy in early-stage endometrial cancer: a randomised trial,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 763–771, 2010.
- C. Diaz-Arrastia, C. Jurnalov, G. Gomez, and C. Townsend, “Laparoscopic hysterectomy using a computer-enhanced surgical robot,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 1271–1273, 2002.
- P. J. Paley, D. S. Veljovich, and C. A. Shah, “Surgical outcomes in gynecologic oncolgy in the era of robotics: analysis of first 1000 cases,” American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology, vol. 204, pp. 551.e1–551.e9, 2011.
- Z. Vaknin, T. Perri, S. Lau et al., “Outcome and quality of life in a prospective cohort of the first 100 robotic surgeries for endometrial cancer, with focus on elderly patients,” International Journal of Gynecological Cancer, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 1367–1373, 2010.
- F. Peeters, Z. Vaknin, S. Lau, C. Deland, S. Brin, and W. H. Gotlieb, “Technical modifications in the robotic-assisted surgical approach for gynaecologic operations,” Journal of Robotic Surgery, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 253–257, 2010.
- M. C. Bell, J. Torgerson, U. Seshadri-Kreaden, A. W. Suttle, and S. Hunt, “Comparison of outcomes and cost for endometrial cancer staging via traditional laparotomy, standard laparoscopy and robotic techniques,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 111, no. 3, pp. 407–411, 2008.
- J. C. Barnett, J. P. Judd, J. M. Wu, C. D. Scales, E. R. Myers, and L. J. Havrilesky, “Cost comparison among robotic, laparoscopic, and open hysterecomy for endometrial cancer,” Obstetrics & Gynecology, vol. 116, pp. 685–693, 2010.
- Z. Vaknin, S. Lau, V. R. Agnihotram et al., “Outcomes and cost following the introduction of a robotics program for endometrial cancer surgery,” Obstetrices and Gynecology, vol. 119, no. 4, pp. 1–10, 2012.
- W. T. Creasman, C. P. Morrow, B. N. Bundy, H. D. Homesley, J. E. Graham, and P. B. Heller, “Surgical pathologic spread patterns of endometrial cancer. A gynecologic oncology group study,” Cancer, vol. 60, no. 8, pp. 2035–2041, 1987.
- C. P. Morrow, B. N. Bundy, R. J. Kurman et al., “Relationship between surgical-pathological risk factors and outcome in clinical stage I and II carcinoma of the endometrium: a Gynecologic Oncology Group study,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 55–65, 1991.
- W. T. Creasman, D. E. Mutch, and T. J. Herzog, “ASTEC lymphadenectomy and radiation therapy studies: are conclusions valid?” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 116, no. 3, pp. 293–294, 2010.
- L. G. Seamon, J. M. Fowler, and D. E. Cohn, “Lymphadenectomy for endometrial cancer: the controversy,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 117, no. 1, pp. 6–8, 2010.
- P. B. Panici, S. Basile, F. Maneschi et al., “Systematic pelvic lymphadenectomy vs no lymphadenectomy in early-stage endometrial carcinoma: randomized clinical trial,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 100, no. 23, pp. 1707–1716, 2008.
- ASTEC Study Group, “Efficacy of systematic pelvic lymphadenectomy in endometrial cancer (MRC ASTEC trial): a randomized study,” The Lancet, vol. 373, no. 9658, pp. 125–136, 2009.
- ASTEC Study Group, “Adjuvant external beam radiotherapy in the treatment of endometrial cancer (MRC ASTEC and NCIC CTG EN.5 randomised trials): pooled trial results, systematic review and meta-analysis,” The Lancet, vol. 373, no. 9658, pp. 137–146, 2009.
- A. A. Mendivil, M. A. Rettenmaier, C. Cox et al., “Acute and delayed complications from surgery and adjuvant radiotherapy in the treatment of high-risk endometrial cancer,” Oncology, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 79–83, 2011.
- I. Ben-Shachar, J. Pavelka, D. E. Cohn et al., “Surgical staging for patients presenting with grade 1 endometrial carcinoma,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 105, no. 3, pp. 487–493, 2005.
- B. A. Goff and L. W. Rice, “Assessment of depth of myometrial invasion in endometrial adenocarcinoma,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 46–48, 1990.
- A. Mariani, S. C. Dowdy, W. A. Cliby et al., “Prospective assessment of lymphatic dissemination in endometrial cancer: a paradigm shift in surgical staging,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 11–18, 2008.
- F. Khoury-Collado, G. E. Glaser, O. Zivanovic et al., “Improving sentinel lymph node detection rates in endometrial cancer: how many cases are needed?” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 115, no. 3, pp. 453–455, 2009.
- N. R. Abu-Rustum, F. Khoury-Collado, N. Pandit-Taskar et al., “Sentinel lymph node mapping for grade 1 endometrial cancer: is it the answer to the surgical staging dilemma?” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 163–169, 2009.
- M. Ballester, G. Dubernard, F. Lécuru et al., “Detection rate and diagnostic accuracy of sentinel-node biopsy in early stage endometrial cancer: a prospective multicentre study (SENTI-ENDO),” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 469–476, 2011.
- S. Kang, H. J. Yoo, J. H. Hwang, M.-C. Lim, S.-S. Seo, and S.-Y. Park, “Sentinel lymph node biopsy in endometrial cancer: meta-analysis of 26 studies,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 123, no. 3, pp. 522–527, 2011.
- C. L. Creutzberg, W. L. J. Van Putten, P. C. M. Koper et al., “Surgery and postoperative radiotherapy versus surgery alone for patients with stage-1 endometrial carcinoma: multicentre randomised trial,” The Lancet, vol. 355, no. 9213, pp. 1404–1411, 2000.
- A. N. Scholten, W. L. J. Van Putten, H. Beerman et al., “Postoperative radiotherapy for Stage 1 endometrial carcinoma: long-term outcome of the randomized PORTEC trial with central pathology review,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 834–838, 2005.
- H. M. Keys, J. A. Roberts, V. L. Brunetto et al., “A phase III trial of surgery with or without adjunctive external pelvic radiation therapy in intermediate risk endometrial adenocarcinoma: a Gynecologic Oncology Group study,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 744–751, 2004.
- R. A. Nout, V. T. H. B. M. Smit, H. Putter et al., “Vaginal brachytherapy versus pelvic external beam radiotherapy for patients with endometrial cancer of high-intermediate risk (PORTEC-2): an open-label, non-inferiority, randomised trial,” The Lancet, vol. 375, no. 9717, pp. 816–823, 2010.
- R. A. Nout, H. Putter, I. M. Jürgenliemk-Schulz et al., “Quality of life after pelvic radiotherapy or vaginal brachytherapy for endometrial cancer: first results of the randomized PORTEC-2 trial,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 21, pp. 3547–3556, 2009.
- M. E. Randall, V. L. Filiaci, H. Muss et al., “Randomized phase III trial of whole-abdominal irradiation versus doxorubicin and cisplatin chemotherapy in advanced endometrial carcinoma: a gynecologic oncology group study,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 36–44, 2006.
- G. F. Fleming, V. L. Brunetto, D. Cella et al., “Phase III trial of doxorubicin plus cisplatin with or without paclitaxel plus filgrastim in advanced endometrial carcinoma: a gynecologic oncology group study,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 2159–2166, 2004.
- K. Greven, K. Winter, K. Underhill, J. Fontenesci, J. Cooper, and T. Burke, “Final analysis of RTOG 9708: Adjuvant postoperative irradiation combined with cisplatin/paclitaxel chemotherapy following surgery for patients with high-risk endometrial cancer,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 103, no. 1, pp. 155–159, 2006.