- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Obstetrics and Gynecology International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 649070, 11 pages
Meta-Analysis of Maternal and Neonatal Outcomes Associated with the Use of Insulin Glargine versus NPH Insulin during Pregnancy
1Service de Gynécologie-Obstétrique, Hôpital Cochin-Saint Vincent de Paul, Cedex 14, 75674 Paris, France
2Outcomes Research, Novosys Health, Flemington, NJ 08822, USA
3Grimsdyke House, EN5 4ND London, UK
4Diabetes-Metabolism Franchise, Sanofi-Aventis France, Cedex 14, 75159 Paris, France
5Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes & Clinical Nutrition, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
6Institute of Cellular Medicine–Diabetes, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4HH, UK
Received 22 November 2011; Revised 28 January 2012; Accepted 6 February 2012
Academic Editor: Russell K. Laros Jr.
Copyright © 2012 Jacques Lepercq et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. M. Engelgau, W. H. Herman, P. J. Smith, R. R. German, and R. E. Aubert, “The epidemiology of diabetes and pregnancy in the U.S., 1988,” Diabetes Care, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 1029–1033, 1995.
- B. E. Metzger, M. Contreras, D. A. Sacks et al., “Hyperglycemia and adverse pregnancy outcomes,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 358, no. 19, pp. 1991–2002, 2008.
- S. Ali and A. Dornhorst, “Diabetes in pregnancy: health risks and management,” Postgraduate Medical Journal, vol. 87, no. 1028, pp. 417–427, 2011.
- G. Beucher, B. Viaris de Lesegno, and M. Dreyfus, “Maternal outcome of gestational diabetes mellitus,” Journal de Gynecologie Obstetrique et Biologie de la Reproduction, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 522–537, 2010.
- J. van Hoorn, G. Dekker, and B. Jeffries, “Gestational diabetes versus obesity as risk factors for pregnancy-induced hypertensive disorders and fetal macrosomia,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 29–34, 2002.
- U. Hanson and B. Persson, “Epidemiology of pregnancy-induced hypertension and preeclampsia in type 1 (insulin-dependent) diabetic pregnancies in Sweden,” Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, vol. 77, no. 6, pp. 620–624, 1998.
- P. R. Garner, M. E. D'Alton, D. K. Dudley, P. Huard, and M. Hardie, “Preeclampsia in diabetic pregnancies,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 163, no. 2, pp. 505–508, 1990.
- P. C. Tan, L. P. Ling, and S. Z. Omar, “The 50-g glucose challenge test and pregnancy outcome in a multiethnic Asian population at high risk for gestational diabetes,” International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics, vol. 105, no. 1, pp. 50–55, 2009.
- B. M. Casey, M. J. Lucas, D. D. McIntire, and K. J. Leveno, “Pregnancy outcomes in women with gestational diabetes compared with the general obstetric population,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 90, no. 6, pp. 869–873, 1997.
- U. Hanson and B. Persson, “Outcome of pregnancies complicated by type 1 insulin-dependent diabetes in Sweden: acute pregnancy complications, neonatal mortality and morbidity,” American Journal of Perinatology, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 330–333, 1993.
- D. M. Jensen, B. Sørensen, N. Feilberg-Jørgensen, J. G. Westergaard, and H. Beck-Nielsen, “Maternal and perinatal outcomes in 143 Danish women with gestational diabetes mellitus and 143 controls with a similar risk profile,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 281–286, 2000.
- K. Johns, C. Olynik, R. Mase, S. Kreisman, and H. Tildesley, “Gestational diabetes mellitus outcome in 394 patients,” Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 122–127, 2006.
- F. Sendag, M. C. Terek, I. M. Itil, K. Oztekin, and O. Bilgin, “Maternal and perinatal outcomes in women with gestational diabetes mellitus as compared to nondiabetic controls,” Journal of Reproductive Medicine for the Obstetrician and Gynecologist, vol. 46, no. 12, pp. 1057–1062, 2001.
- J. J. Jiménez-Moleón, A. Bueno-Cavanillas, J. D. Luna-del-Castillo, M. García-Martín, P. Lardelli-Claret, and R. Gálvez-Vargas, “Impact of different levels of carbohydrate intolerance on neonatal outcomes classically associated with gestational diabetes mellitus,” European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology & Reproductive Biology, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 36–41, 2002.
- J. A. Svare, B. B. Hansen, and L. Molsted-Pedersen, “Perinatal complications in women with gestational diabetes mellitus,” Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, vol. 80, no. 10, pp. 899–904, 2001.
- F. Bánhidy, N. Ács, E. H. Puhó, and A. E. Czeizel, “Congenital abnormalities in the offspring of pregnant women with type 1, type 2 and gestational diabetes mellitus: a population-based case-control study,” Congenital Anomalies, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 115–121, 2010.
- F. D. Johnstone, A. A. Nasrat, and R. J. Prescott, “The effect of established and gestational diabetes on pregnancy outcome,” British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 97, no. 11, pp. 1009–1015, 1990.
- J. E. Becerra, M. J. Khoury, J. F. Cordero, and J. D. Erickson, “Diabetes mellitus during pregnancy and the risks for specific birth defects: a population-based case-control study,” Pediatrics, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 1990.
- M. Hod, P. Merlob, S. Friedman, A. Schoenfeld, and J. Ovadia, “Gestational diabetes mellitus: a survey of perinatal complications in the 1980s,” Diabetes, vol. 40, supplement 2, pp. 74–78, 1991.
- E. P. O'Sullivan, G. Avalos, M. O'Reilly, et al., “Atlantic diabetes in pregnancy (DIP): the prevalence and outcomes of gestational diabetes mellitus using new diagnostic criteria,” Diabetologia, vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 1670–1675, 2011.
- H. Boerschmann, M. Pflüger, L. Henneberger, A. G. Ziegler, and S. Hummel, “Prevalence and predictors of overweight and insulin resistance in offspring of mothers with gestational diabetes mellitus,” Diabetes Care, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 1845–1849, 2010.
- C. M. Boney, A. Verma, R. Tucker, and B. R. Vohr, “Metabolic syndrome in childhood: association with birth weight, maternal obesity, and gestational diabetes mellitus,” Pediatrics, vol. 115, no. 3, pp. e290–e296, 2005.
- D. Dabelea, W. C. Knowler, and D. J. Pettitt, “Effect of diabetes in pregnancy on offspring: follow-up research in the Pima Indians,” Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 83–88, 2000.
- D. A. Lawlor, P. Lichtenstein, and N. Langstrom, “Association of maternal diabetes mellitus in pregnancy with offspring adiposity into early adulthood: sibling study in a prospective cohort of 280,866 men from 248,293 families,” Circulation, vol. 123, no. 3, pp. 258–265, 2011.
- A. Plagemann, T. Harder, R. Kohlhoff, W. Rohde, and G. Dörner, “Glucose tolerance and insulin secretion in children of mothers with pregestational IDDM or gestational diabetes,” Diabetologia, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 1094–1100, 1997.
- L. S. Fetita, E. Sobngwi, P. Serradas, F. Calvo, and J. F. Gautier, “Review: consequences of fetal exposure to maternal diabetes in offspring,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 91, no. 10, pp. 3718–3724, 2006.
- J. L. Kitzmiller, J. M. Block, F. M. Brown et al., “Managing preexisting diabetes for pregnancy: summary of evidence and consensus recommendations for care,” Diabetes Care, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 1060–1079, 2008.
- S. G. Ashwell, S. A. Amiel, R. W. Bilous et al., “Improved glycaemic control with insulin glargine plus insulin lispro: a multicentre, randomized, cross-over trial in people with Type 1 diabetes,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 285–292, 2006.
- F. Porcellati, P. Rossetti, S. Pampanelli et al., “Better long-term glycaemic control with the basal insulin glargine as compared with NPH in patients with Type 1 diabetes mellitus given meal-time lispro insulin,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 1213–1220, 2004.
- T. P. Ciaraldi, L. Carter, G. Seipke, S. Mudaliar, and R. R. Henry, “Effects of the long-acting insulin analog insulin glargine on cultured human skeletal muscle cells: comparisons to insulin and IGF-I,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 86, no. 12, pp. 5838–5847, 2001.
- P. Kurtzhals, L. Schäffer, A. Sørensen et al., “Correlations of receptor binding and metabolic and mitogenic potencies of insulin analogs designed for clinical use,” Diabetes, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 999–1005, 2000.
- L. J. Slieker, G. S. Brooke, R. D. Dimarchi et al., “Modifications in the B10 and B26-30 regions of the B chain of human insulin alter affinity for the human IGF-I receptor more than for the insulin receptor,” Diabetologia, vol. 40, supplement 2, pp. S54–S61, 1997.
- E. von Elm, D. G. Altman, M. Egger, S. J. Pocock, P. C. Gøtzsche, and J. P. Vandenbroucke, “The Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting of observational studies,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 344–349, 2008.
- J. P. T. Higgins, S. G. Thompson, J. J. Deeks, and D. G. Altman, “Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses,” British Medical Journal, vol. 327, no. 7414, pp. 557–560, 2003.
- G. di Cianni, E. Torlone, C. Lencioni et al., “Perinatal outcomes associated with the use of glargine during pregnancy,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 993–996, 2008.
- R. S. Egerman, R. D. Ramsey, L. W. Kao et al., “Perinatal outcomes in pregnancies managed with antenatal insulin glargine,” American Journal of Perinatology, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 591–595, 2009.
- Y. M. V. Fang, D. MacKeen, J. F. X. Egan, and C. M. Zelop, “Insulin glargine compared with Neutral Protamine Hagedorn insulin in the treatment of pregnant diabetics,” Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 249–253, 2009.
- M. P. Imbergamo, M. C. Amato, G. Sciortino et al., “Use of glargine in pregnant women with type 1 diabetes mellitus: a case-control study,” Clinical Therapeutics, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 1476–1484, 2008.
- C. A. Negrato, A. Rafacho, G. Negrato et al., “Glargine vs. NPH insulin therapy in pregnancies complicated by diabetes: an observational cohort study,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 46–51, 2010.
- M. Poyhonen-Alho, T. Rönnemaa, J. Saltevo, U. Ekblad, and R. J. Kaaja, “Use of insulin glargine during pregnancy,” Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica. In press.
- N. Price, C. Bartlett, and M. D. Gillmer, “Use of insulin glargine during pregnancy: a case-control pilot study,” BJOG, vol. 114, no. 4, pp. 453–457, 2007.
- J. G. Smith, T. A. Manuck, J. White, and D. C. Merrill, “Insulin glargine versus neutral protamine hagedorn insulin for treatment of diabetes in pregnancy,” American Journal of Perinatology, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 57–62, 2009.
- E. Pollex, M. E. Moretti, G. Koren, and D. S. Feig, “Safety of insulin glargine use in pregnancy: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” The Annals of Pharmacotherapy, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 9–16, 2011.
- K. Zełobowska, J. Gumprecht, and W. Grzeszczak, “Mitogenic potency of insulin glargine,” Endokrynologia Polska, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 34–39, 2009.
- K. Staiger, H. Staiger, M. A. Schweitzer et al., “Insulin and its analogue glargine do not affect viability and proliferation of human coronary artery endothelial and smooth muscle cells,” Diabetologia, vol. 48, no. 9, pp. 1898–1905, 2005.
- S. I. Chisalita and H. J. Arnqvist, “Insulin-like growth factor I receptors are more abundant than insulin receptors in human micro- and macrovascular endothelial cells,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 286, no. 6, pp. E896–E901, 2004.
- M. R. Sommerfeld, G. Müller, G. Tschank et al., “In vitro metabolic and mitogenic signaling of insulin glargine and its metabolites,” PLoS One, vol. 5, no. 3, Article ID e9540, 2010.
- M. Kovo, J. Wainstein, Z. Matas, S. Haroutiunian, A. Hoffman, and A. Golan, “Placental transfer of the insulin analog glargine in the ex vivo perfused placental cotyledon model,” Endocrine Research, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 19–24, 2011.
- E. K. Pollex, D. S. Feig, A. Lubetsky, P. M. Yip, and G. Koren, “Insulin glargine safety in pregnancy: a transplacental transfer study,” Diabetes Care, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 29–33, 2010.
- D. Simmons, “Diabetes and obesity in pregnancy,” Best Practice & Research Clinical Obstetrics & Gynaecology, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 25–36, 2011.
- L. A. Owens, E. P. O'Sullivan, B. Kirwan, G. Avalos, G. Gaffney, and F. Dunne, “ATLANTIC DIP: the impact of obesity on pregnancy outcome in glucose-tolerant women,” Diabetes Care, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 577–579, 2010.
- P. Blumenshine, S. Egerter, C. J. Barclay, C. Cubbin, and P. A. Braveman, “Socioeconomic disparities in adverse birth outcomes: a systematic review,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 263–272, 2010.
- S. Timmermans, G. J. Bonsel, R. P. M. Steegers-Theunissen et al., “Individual accumulation of heterogeneous risks explains perinatal inequalities within deprived neighbourhoods,” European Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 165–180, 2011.
- T. R. Assis, F. P. Viana, and S. Rassi, “Study on the major maternal risk factors in hypertensive syndromes,” Arquivos Brasileiros de Cardiologia, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 11–17, 2008.
- L. M. Silva, M. Coolman, E. A. P. Steegers et al., “Low socioeconomic status is a risk factor for preeclampsia: the Generation R Study,” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 1200–1208, 2008.