- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Obstetrics and Gynecology International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 717294, 9 pages
Expression of Nuclear Receptor Coactivators in the Human Fetal Membranes at Term before and after Labor
1Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Ottawa, The Ottawa Hospital, General Campus, 501 Smyth Road, Room 8420, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1H 8L6
2Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, University of Ottawa, 451 Smyth Road, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1H 8M5
Received 25 October 2012; Accepted 29 November 2012
Academic Editor: Gregory Rice
Copyright © 2012 Che-Wei Ryan Ou et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. L. Goldenberg and D. J. Rouse, “Prevention of premature birth,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 339, no. 5, pp. 313–320, 1998.
- J. R. G. Challis, S. G. Matthews, W. Gibb, and S. J. Lye, “Endocrine and paracrine regulation of birth at term and preterm,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 514–550, 2000.
- S. J. Lye, J. Mitchell, N. Nashman et al., “Role of mechanical signals in the onset of term and preterm labor,” Frontiers of Hormone Research, vol. 27, pp. 165–178, 2001.
- T. Zakar, J. J. Hirst, J. E. Mijovic, and D. M. Olson, “Glucocorticoids stimulate the expression of prostaglandin endoperoxide H synthase-2 in amnion cells,” Endocrinology, vol. 136, no. 4, pp. 1610–1619, 1995.
- P. Economopoulos, M. Sun, B. Purgina, and W. Gibb, “Glucocorticoids stimulate prostaglandin H synthase type 2 (PGHS-2) in the fibroblast cells in human amnion culture,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 117, no. 2, pp. 141–147, 1996.
- F. A. Patel, V. L. Clifton, K. Chwalisz, and J. R. G. Challis, “Steroid regulation of prostaglandin dehydrogenase activity and expression in human term placenta and chorio-decidua in relation to labor,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 291–299, 1999.
- D. M. Frim, R. L. Emanuel, B. G. Robinson, C. M. Smas, G. K. Adler, and J. A. Majzoub, “Characterization and gestational regulation of corticotropin-releasing hormone messenger RNA in human placenta,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 287–292, 1988.
- S. A. Jones, A. N. Brooks, and J. R. G. Challis, “Steroids modulate corticotropin-releasing hormone production in human fetal membranes and placenta,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 68, no. 4, pp. 825–830, 1989.
- M. McLean and R. Smith, “Corticotrophin-releasing hormone and human parturition,” Journal of the Society for Gynecologic Investigation, vol. 8, pp. 122–133, 2001.
- W. Gibb, “The role of prostaglandins in human parturition,” Annals of Medicine, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 235–241, 1998.
- F. A. Potestio, T. Zakar, and D. M. Olson, “Glucocorticoids stimulate prostaglandin synthesis in human amnion cells by a receptor-mediated mechanism,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 67, no. 6, pp. 1205–1210, 1988.
- K. Karalis, G. Goodwin, and J. A. Majzoub, “Cortisol blockade of progesterone: a possible molecular mechanism involved in the initiation of human labor,” Nature Medicine, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 556–560, 1996.
- M. J. Tsai and B. W. O'Malley, “Molecular mechanisms of action of steroid/thyroid receptor superfamily members,” Annual Review of Biochemistry, vol. 63, pp. 451–486, 1994.
- N. J. McKenna and B. W. O'Malley, “Combinatorial control of gene expression by nuclear receptors and coregulators,” Cell, vol. 108, no. 4, pp. 465–474, 2002.
- N. J. McKenna and B. W. O’Malley, “Minireview: nuclear receptor coactivators—an update,” Endocrinology, vol. 143, pp. 2461–2465, 2002.
- C. Leo and J. D. Chen, “The SRC family of nuclear receptor coactivators,” Gene, vol. 245, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 2000.
- K. C. Lee and W. L. Kraus, “Nuclear receptors, coactivators and chromatin: new approaches, new insights,” Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 191–197, 2001.
- B. J. Deroo and T. K. Archer, “Glucocorticoid receptor-mediated chromatin remodeling in vivo,” Oncogene, vol. 20, no. 24, pp. 3039–3046, 2001.
- M. Sun, M. Ramirez, J. R. G. Challis, and W. Gibb, “Immunohistochemical localization of the glucocorticoid receptor in human fetal membranes and decidua at term and preterm delivery,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 149, no. 2, pp. 243–248, 1996.
- J. C. Condon, P. Jeyasuria, J. M. Faust, J. W. Wilson, and C. R. Mendelson, “A decline in the levels of progesterone receptor coactivators in the pregnant uterus at term may antagonize progesterone receptor function and contribute to the initiation of parturition,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 100, no. 16, pp. 9518–9523, 2003.
- X. Dong, O. Shylnova, J. R. G. Challis, and S. J. Lye, “Identification and characterization of the protein-associated splicing factor as a negative co-regulator of the progesterone receptor,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 280, no. 14, pp. 13329–13340, 2005.
- Q. Li, A. Su, J. Chen, Y. A. Lefebvre, and R. J. G. Haché, “Attenuation of glucocorticoid signaling through targeted degradation of p300 via the 26S proteasome pathway,” Molecular Endocrinology, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 2819–2827, 2002.
- M. Sun, J. Kingdom, D. Baczyk, S. J. Lye, S. G. Matthews, and W. Gibb, “Expression of the multidrug resistance P-glycoprotein, (ABCB1 glycoprotein) in the human placenta decreases with advancing gestation,” Placenta, vol. 27, no. 6-7, pp. 602–609, 2006.
- D. Yeboah, G. M. Kalabis, M. Sun, R. C. Ou, S. G. Matthews, and W. Gibb, “Expression and localisation of breast cancer resistance protein (BCRP) in human fetal membranes and decidua and the influence of labour at term,” Reproduction, Fertility and Development, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 328–334, 2008.
- M. Lappas, T. L. Odumetse, C. Riley et al., “Pre-labour fetal membranes overlying the cervix display alterations in inflammation and NF-κB signalling pathways,” Placenta, vol. 29, no. 12, pp. 995–1002, 2008.
- J. Xu and Q. Li, “Review of the in Vivo functions of the p160 steroid receptor coactivator family,” Molecular Endocrinology, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 1681–1692, 2003.
- I. Kurihara, H. Shibata, T. Suzuki et al., “Expression and regulation of nuclear receptor coactivators in glucocorticoid action,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 189, no. 1-2, pp. 181–189, 2002.
- J. Zhao, A.-Y. Gong, R. Zhou, J. Liu, A. N. Eischeid, and X.-M Chen, “Downregulation of PCAF by miR-181a/b provides feedback regulation to TNF-α- induced transcription of proinflammatory genes in liver epithelial cells,” The Journal of Immunology, vol. 188, pp. 1266–1274, 2012.
- J. Chen and Q. Li, “Life and death of transcriptional co-activator p300,” Epigenetics, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 957–961, 2011.
- C. W. R. Ou, M. Sun, W. Sadej, and W. Gibb, “Glucocorticoid and progesterone receptors, and nuclear receptor coactivators in the human fetal membranes,” in Proceedings of the 52nd Annual Meeting of the Society for Gynecologic Investigation, p. 135, Los Angeles, Calif, USA, 2005.
- S. Goldman, A. Weiss, I. Almalah, and E. Shalev, “Progesterone receptor expression in human decidua and fetal membranes before and after contractions: possible mechanism for functional progesterone withdrawal,” Molecular Human Reproduction, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 269–277, 2005.
- G. J. Haluska, T. R. Wells, J. J. Hirst, R. M. Brenner, D. W. Sadowsky, and M. J. Novy, “Progesterone receptor localization and isoforms in myometrium, decidua, and fetal membranes from rhesus macaques: evidence for functional progesterone withdrawal at parturition,” Journal of the Society for Gynecologic Investigation, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 125–136, 2002.